C&R - Extended Trout Season

F

fishfuzz

The “Extended Trout Season” is bogus in my opinion.

Who would like to see a Catch and Release regulation on all trout streams after Labor Day?

I think the PFBC should still stock the streams, but manage them under C&R guidelines from Labor Day until the opening day of trout season. That way they get some people to fish in the fall and get some fish to hold over into the spring.

fishfuzz wrote:
The “Extended Trout Season” is bogus in my opinion.

Who would like to see a Catch and Release regulation on all trout streams after Labor Day?

I think the PFBC should still stock the streams, but manage them under C&R guidelines from Labor Day until the opening day of trout season. That way they get some people to fish in the fall and get some fish to hold over into the spring.

I never really thought much about it, but a long C&R season like that would be a great idea, IMO. Fish for fun rather than fish for food.

Less and less fish are stocked, so this reg change would keep more fish in the stream during the fall and winter. Also, more holdovers would be left in the streams for the spring season.

I'm not sure if the FBC would ever propose it, but I like it. Put me down as a +1.

I like the idea too but I think I remember Mike mentioning winter mortality somewhere along the line.

I'd like to see a reduction in creel limits even for Spring fishing since the number of stocked fish has been drastically reduced, at least where I help stock.

There should be an increase in C&R only streams and stream sections and reducing the creel limit makes a lot of sense.

Remember when you could keep 8 trout, those were the days.

Hopefully the PFBC is considering a reduction of the creel limit and longer C&R seasons as part of the long term plan to cope with reduced stocking.

Rather than dump tons of fish in marginal or spring only trout fisheries, wouldn't the fish be better used in cold water streams with a reduced harvest limit? Opening day is a circus almost to the level of the SR during the salmon run.

The state dumps them in...the meat heads run up and yank them out. Why not put an above ground swimming pool out for the fish eaters. Little "trout rodeo" like they have for the children. As the old saying goes, 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish. In my experience, many of those guys take a limit, hide the fish and head right back to limit out again. I heardone tool bragging tthat he put 48 in the freezer on opening day. That's also the same tool that complains that the fish aren't in the creek like they use to be. Duh.

The real question is...."why isn't the river below Raystown being managed as a world class tailwater?".

Making trout fishing C&R in the extended season is a good idea. Because most of the trout stocked in the spring are gone by fall, so most of the trout left in the streams are wild trout.

The PFBC is very unlikely to increase stocking in the fall, though. They have been decreasing it substantially and that trend is likely to continue.

Because they raise fewer hatchery fish then in the past. Stocking more fish in the fall would mean stocking less in the spring. You have to choose.

And choosing to stock the great majority of trout in the spring is what makes sense. That's when interest is highest in trout fishing.

Stocking trout in the fall with the goal of having them last into the spring would not work. Most of them would die through the winter.

If you want stocked trout in the streams in the spring, the best way to achieve that is to stock them in the spring.

I’m with krayfish on this one but instead of a swimming pool let’s just open up the hatcheries to the meat heads and worm dunking types so they can fish right in the raceways. This way the PFBC can save money on fuel and stocking costs and we don’t have to deal with them ramming around on the water in the spring. Maybe with all the money they save we could see more wild brooke trout enhancement areas or more stream restoration projects like at big springs?

I like the idea of mandatory catch and release, though I don't think you would see a noticeable difference.

The majority of people that fish past Memorial Day are trout enthusiasts. The trout enthusiasts also practice catch and release, so ipso facto, there is a catch and release season already.

I agree with Krayfish and Pellethead, save the stocking ceremony and just let the hillbillies in the hatchery to get their fish.

You guys are getting a bit harsh on the fisheaters, let he who hath never eaten a trout cast the first worm. Three days before Christmas

Btw, never eaten a trout. Where would you like me to toss this stone?

I don't eat anything that swims. This is just a hobby.

Hey Pellethead.....not everyone that sports a spinning rod is an un-ethical, hillbilly, worm dunker that throws trash everywhere. Don't get me wrong there are some real fish slobs and jerks out there. I would put you in the same class for some of the comments that you have made. I don't know why you think your so high and mighty. I hope it's not the fact that you hold a fly rod because that gives us all a bad name. With an attitude like that you'll never change anything. Try setting a good example for people to follow and don't act like such an untouchale snob. You just might be suprised what you can accomplish if you treat people like human beings.

I like all the ideas, but as Brookiechaser said, I am just not sure you would see much difference because truthfully, I hardly see anyone keep anything during the later season anyway. At least on some of the waters that I frequent where it is legal to keep during extended season.

I am on the water almost every day at this time of year, and just don't see fish being creeled. Obviously it happens, but it just seems like guys out now are not out there to keep a limit of 12" ers.

And pellethead, yea not all people that fish a spin rod are meat hunting fools. I still love to fish the spin rod along with the fly rod and when I pick up the spin rod I don't suddenly have a loss of ethics.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, and I love ALL trout fishing, but some of the best most ethical trout anglers I know are primarily spin fisherman.

It's all good.

I like this idea, but I don't keep any fish anyway. Something more creative than what is currently being done needs to be looked at. They stock less fish now. The creel limits have been decreased. Like someone else mentioned, some people don't respect the limit anyway (which means more enforcement is needed). The whole system is crumbling. The only thing that hasn't been reduced is the cost. I won't complain about the cost, because I feel it is fair enough.

Its funny a lot of posters here want the state to stop stocking water with wild trout and then complain about putting trout in water where they will die by July. You can't have it both ways. Maybe the answer is to make all water with wild trout C&R only with no stocking, and then dump a bunch for the circus somewhere else.

phiendWMD wrote:

Its funny a lot of posters here want the state to stop stocking water with wild trout and then complain about putting trout in water where they will die by July. You can't have it both ways.

You do read posts advocating both positions, but they are coming from different people (with only a few rare exceptions).

Most people who advocate reducing stocking over wild trout understand that hatchery trout are stocked in the spring to provide spring fishing. And that not many are left by fall, and very few are left by the following spring.

The PFBC understands this too and they have explained it many times in their publications.

im confused, when is the extended season

Pennsylvania should do away with opening day or at least do what New York does and have opening day April 1st, no matter what day of the week it falls on. Opening day is just a circus anymore and is only done for license sales.

One other thing. I don't like a lot of what New York does as far as taxes and politics but one thing they get right is their stocking program. They won't stock fish until water temps are right which means some streams don't get fish until after opening day. They found high fish mortality when fish were stocked in water that was too cold. I can't remember the temp cutoff but I believe it was in the low 40s.

Back