Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Buying Flies

From SE Pennsylvania
Blue Ribbon Fly Shop (West Yellowstone) ties many in house. The shop also sells online.

Fly Shack (New York) has been a very good online source.

Posted on: 1/14 20:46

From Philadelphia, PA
I have used theflystop.com happily for a while now. The flies are decent quality for what you pay for (average price is 70-90 cents per fly). All of their flies are sourced by Reisa Fly Fishing. I do drop a little bit of head cement on the nymphs to help them last a little longer though. They are based out of San Diego, but have AWESOME customer service, and they almost always ship the next day, which I've appreciated.

Posted on: 1/14 21:00

From Lambertville
Catskill Flies in Roscoe tie all their own flies.

Posted on: 1/14 21:28

fly shack very reasonable and good flies.

Posted on: 1/15 9:47

From Gettysburg
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
The great majority of the flies at Flyfishers Paradise in State College are either tied by the owner and his employees or are bought from tiers in the region.

When you stop in the store you will often see them sitting there at a table tying them.

The flies are of very high quality.

This. ^

While I was not one of Steve's better tiers, I've always been proud to have tied flies for FFP back in my student days.

Buy your flies from Fly Fisher's Paradise.

Posted on: 1/15 10:19

From philadelphia
Want some truly great flies?

Go see joe fox !

Detteflies.com

Also,even with a busy schedule,try to work some tying time in!

Posted on: 1/15 11:51

From Spring Grove PA
Flies, like just about anything else, you get what you pay for. For example, at the Feathered Hook on Penns Creek the flies are all tied by their tiers. Not cheap. They do NOT import flies. Companies like The Fly Schack do get their flies from overseas. I have bought from both sources. You CAN tell the difference. But can the fish? I think the ones tied locally will be more durable but I have NOT done experiments to confirm or reject that hypothesis .

I am NOT a fan of FFP at all.

Posted on: 1/30 13:47

I was going to recommend Jonas at Feathered Hook also. They are NOT CHEAP, i would go as far as to call them expensive but they are quality ties. I think last time i talked to him about it which was probably 2014 he had 30 local tyers working for him

I hear you though, i have been fly fishing for 10 years and never tied a single fly. If i did i would have no time to fish. As it is i have very little time to fish

Posted on: 1/30 14:01

I usually buy nymphs and some streamers from online discount fly vendors. For dries, I'll either tie those myself, or buy higher quality flies from local shops. I go through many more nymphs in a year than dries.

Dries normally require higher quality materials to float well and most of the time I also tie them on a fine wire hook.

Posted on: 1/30 14:42

I'd strongly recommend tying your own.

Posted on: 1/30 16:45

From Granville
I'll agree that Flyfisher's had many locally tied flies compared to anywhere else I've ever bought flies. Come to think of it, they are without a doubt my favorite fly shop. Great guys and super friendly and helpful without the sense of elitism that can often be found at certain places.

If you want some cheaper mass produced flies Risen Fly has enough of the basic and classic patterns to get you by. Plus by buying from Risen you can help support a forum member and his business.

Posted on: 1/30 16:57

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
I tie all the flies here at my shop all to match the hatches of Pa, Ny, and Nj. I average $2.00 per fly in store

Posted on: 1/31 8:31

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Other side of the tracks
I tie most of my own flies, but when I make it to the Spring Jam, I always stop at Feathered Hook and spend a few bucks on flies and whatever.

They aren't cheap, but much better than I can make. Plus, compared to what I spend on everything else on that trip, they are cheap. They have always been good to me, and I appreciate that.

Posted on: 2/1 8:42

From Sweet Valley
At least buy your dry flies from a quality place. Huge difference

FFP or the Feathered Hook from my experience seem to be two good places to get them.

Posted on: 2/1 9:05

From philadelphia
I have had absolutely terrible experiences in one fly shop other people are complimenting. I will never go back to the shop closest to the jam, which I shall not name.
Also ,I have heard bad experiences at the TCO shop in state college,but I have had wonderful experiences there.

To each his own,I guess.

Posted on: 2/2 2:01

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Should curling be an Olympic sport?
Yes 84% (43)
No 15% (8)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/2/19 12:33
6 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com