Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Buying Flies

From Knox, PA
hey everyone,
i am relatively new to fly fishing, been at it for a couple years. i started tying my own flies this year, and have had marginal success. i found this sight http://www.fishingflybox.com/ they have a good selection of flys, and great prices. have any of you used their flies, and if so are they good quality?

Posted on: 4/3 20:03

Re: Buying Flies

From Crawford County
Try theflystop.com I have used they're flies lots of times and they are great, haven't ordered from them in 2 years and I still use some of the flies from my last order with no quality issues.

Posted on: 4/3 23:50

From Clearfield
Yes, and they are good flies. I reccomend them.

Posted on: 4/4 0:04

From Knox, PA
@csoult, thanks for the info, gonna place an order today!

Posted on: 4/4 2:00

From Lambertville
The Fly Shop

The Fly Stop

Miller's Fly Shop

These are the online fly shops I bookedmarked the last time there was a thread on the subject.

I try to buy my flies from a local fly shop even if it mean driving an hour or more.

Posted on: 4/4 8:51

From Lancaster County
Myflies.com is great to buy flies tied here in the US.

Posted on: 4/4 9:57

From Central/Upstate New York (Clinton)
I purchased a lot of flies from the fishing fly box last year and they were good. You should be happy. I would recommend them and will use them again. For .39 cents a fly how can you go wrong.

Posted on: 4/4 11:15

From Boilingsprings
I would suggest buying from a local shop or tyer. You can see what you are buying,can get local recommendations,and support local economy , ( business) will be open when you need advice and other items. Most shops are really hurting and on line sales are killing them.

Posted on: 4/4 15:44

Big Y flies - http://www.bigyflyco.com/

Just got an order in from these guys - first time buying with them. I'm very pleased with the quality of em. Most of the flies were between 55 and 65 cents.

Posted on: 4/4 21:34

From Knox, PA
i would love to keep my business local, but the closest fly shop to me is about 50 miles, and the selection is very slim. on top of that each and every fly that is offered is over 1.00$, with most at or above 1.50$ thats to much for me to spend when i lose them all over.

Posted on: 4/5 1:25

From Boilingsprings
Fly Cast- I can understand the long drive as a problem. Local shops have dropped of to about 1/3 the numbers years ago according to a article I read and my personal observations. If past buyers would have supported them perhaps there would be one closer to you. Paying $1.50 is a bargain for a good fly. People spend a lot of money on other relatedigear that fish do not care about. They care about your offering (fly) and then the next important thing is your tippet,this is what you do not want them to see or know exists. As for loosing many flys if you are a beginner perhaps a casting lesson or beginner course would help. I am not trying to be a smart a.. but just being honest.

Posted on: 4/5 7:14

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
that's hitting it on the nose. to many went away from the local shops.

Posted on: 4/5 7:31

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From SE Pa.
But those same people that won't pay $1.00-$1.50 per fly ,will pay $3.00 a day for a Starbuck coffee !!!!!!!! yuk

Posted on: 4/5 7:57

Those cheap flies are tied with cheap hooks. With the money spent on a fly rod, line and leader why skimp on the most important piece of equipment; the hook. Support your local fly shop before they are gone. Their years of knowledge are much more valuable to you than cheap flies. Personally, 100% of my fly fishing equipment is purchased from local fly shops.

Posted on: 4/5 22:51

From Knox, PA
I have been fly fishing for a couple years off and on, I have a decent cast. But understand what you guys are saying. Has anyone been to oil creek outfitters? I believe that's the closest one to me. Are they worth the drive?

Posted on: 4/6 0:31

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com