Bull Creek DHALO stocking??

T

TroutBuster

Fished the DHALO section of bull creek yesterday. Very, very dissapointing! Did not see any foot prints leading away from the bridges more than 20 yards. Talked to the WCO driving by... he pretty much said that people were doing very well at the bridges. I waded through the snow to the usual holes that are loaded after a stocking a good ways from the road and didn't see a single fish. It seems that it wasn't float stocked and no effort was made to carry any fish away from the road.

Can anyone confirm this? Very disapointing that a "decent" stream wasn't properly stocked. I know they can only do it if they have volunteers, but maybe if you had the stocking when everyone wasn't working you could get some help! Frustrating...

Bummer, was thinking of fishing it later this week after work. When was it stocked?

Stocked thursday... they were starting just as I headed to work so I drove past. Just saw the truck parked at the church at the bottom end of the DHALO and people dumping them over the bridge. WCO said Deer Creek was much less crowded.

Go fish Pine Creek...the creek is flowing great and the stocked it earlier in the week...I fished it thursday and friday and caught three each day...i even saw one rise...I meet some guys who were clearing out all the trees that have fallen

where is Pine Creek?? Is that off Rt. 8???

Its in between rt 8 and mcknight road...at the end of the DHALO area there are multiple paking lots...walk upstream past the old railroad tracks and there a bunch of good holes...the creek is high right now which is making the fishing great...the water was 40 degrees on thursday...i fish the creek a lot if I only have an hour or two so if you have any questions or anything just let me know

Went to Deer Creek DHALO today... same story. No fish anywhere but the bridges, and alot of p*ss#$-off anglers! Fish Commission is really dropping the ball this spring.

TroutBuster wrote:
Went to Deer Creek DHALO today... same story. No fish anywhere but the bridges, and alot of p*ss#$-off anglers! Fish Commission is really dropping the ball this spring.

I wonder how many of these pissed off anglers got out there and helped stock? I've actually been quite pleased with the quality of the recently stocked fish. Aint the commisions fault that anglers would rather complain about their streams not being float stocked than actually get out there and float stock it themselves.

I know they can only do it if they have volunteers, but maybe if you had the stocking when everyone wasn't working you could get some help!

This

Aint the commisions fault that anglers would rather complain about their streams not being float stocked than actually get out there and float stock it themselves.

And this.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
I know they can only do it if they have volunteers, but maybe if you had the stocking when everyone wasn't working you could get some help!

This

Would it be even remotely possible for the commission to get every stream stocked if they did it on saturdays and sundays only?

I dunno have they even tried?
They dont have to rush stocking special reg areas do they?
Lets see......

Using this map
http://fishandboat.com/specreg.htm
And only selecting waters that would get stocked with trout.
C&R
C&R AT
C&R FFO
DHALO
Trophy Trout
and TT AT

Now keep in mind that some streams like Roaring Brook (luzerne) and Cedar Run (tioga) Dont get stocked the amount becomes even less.

Some of these streams are not many miles from eachother and could be stocked the same day.

Given the PAFC is spread out over regions.....SEPA, NCPA etc....

Id say yes it would be possible if they started stocking on Jan 1st to March 1st.

I dont see why not.

Talked to a couple guys this week who showed up to help and offered to carry some buckets back their favorite holes. Fish truck guys told them they couldn't! Had to dump them where the truck was stopped. Not sure what to make of that....

I dont know why they would say that Troutbuster other than they might have been afraid they would run off with the fish.

Ive heard of that happening in the past.

Is it possible they were told to stock in this manner because of the amount of snow along the streams would make it unsafe and they didn't need the liability? Could it have been stock like this or not at all due to the snow?

stocking is something i have always wanted to do...how do you go about getting started tho

JasonS,

Another way to look @ it. (Go to end of post to see the figures.)

They stock ALL the approved trout waters from March 1st to opening day ( April 3, 2010) this year in SEPA.

Those streams are:

BERKS
Allegheny Creek – Antietam Creek – Antietam Reservoir – Furnace Creek (Robesonia) – Hay Creek – Kistler Creek – Little Lehigh Creek – Little Swatara Creek – Maiden Creek (confluence with Kistler Creek in Kempton downstream to dam in Lenhartsville) – Manatawny Creek – Mill Creek (trib to Sacony Creek) – Mill Creek (trib to Schuylkill River) – Mill Creek (trib to Tulpehocken Creek) – Northkill Creek – Ontelaunee Creek (Spring House Road Bridge (SR 4024) downstream to mouth) – Perkiomen Creek – Pine Creek (trib to Maiden Creek) – Sacony Creek (Bowers Road (T-616) downstream to SR 222 Kutztown By-pass) – Scotts Run Lake – Spring Creek – Swamp Creek (Chestnut Hill Road (SR 2001) downstream to mouth in Morgantown) – Tulpehocken Creek (county line downstream to 0.5 mile downstream of Charming Forge Dam) – Willow Creek – Wyomissing Creek (headwaters downstream to SR 0222)
BUCKS
Delaware Canal (Two Sections-Upper Washington Crossing State Park and Lower Washington Crossing State Park downstream to East Maple Street Bridge in Morrisville) – East Branch Perkiomen Creek (Branch Road Bridge (T-431) downstream through Sellersville) – Lake Luxembourg – Levittown Lake – Neshaminy Creek (Two sections-Valley Road to Mill Road near Jamison and from the dam at the causeway in Tyler State Park downstream to the bridge on SR 332) – Tohickon (Dark Hollow Rd. downstream to mouth) – Unami Creek (Milford Township Park downstream to Trumbauersville Road (SR 4051))

CHESTER
Beaver Creek (at Downingtown) – Big Elk Creek – Buck Run (Compass Rd. downstream to SR 372) – East Branch Brandywine Creek (SR 4031 in Glenmoore downstream to U S Business Route 30 in Downingtown) – East Branch Elk Creek – East Branch White Clay Creek – French Creek – Middle Branch White Clay Creek – Pickering Creek – Pocopson Creek – West Branch Brandywine Creek (SR 4005 near Cedar Knoll downstream to US Business Route 30) – West Valley Creek – White Clay Creek

DELAWARE
Chester Creek (confluence of West Branch Chester Creek downstream to Bridgewater Road (SR 3018)) – Chester Creek (upstream from confluence with West Branch) – Darby Creek (0.5 mile upstream confluence with Little Darby Creek downstream to Hilldale Road) – Ithan Creek – Little Darby Creek – Ridley Creek (Two sections-1.25 miles upstream from Gradyville Rd. downstream to falls in Ridley Creek State Park and Brookhaven Rd. downstream to Chestnut St.) – West Branch Chester Creek

LANCASTER
Big Beaver Creek – Bowery Run – Climbers Run – Conowingo Creek (T341 Black Bear Rd. downstream to Black Barron Road) – Conoy Creek (Bossler Road (SR 4019) downstream to mouth) – East Branch Octoraro Creek (Steelville Rd. downstream to Knight Run confluence) – Fishing Creek – Hammer Creek – Indian Run – Little Beaver Creek – Little Chiques Creek – Little Cocalico Creek – Little Conestoga Creek (power line upstream of Miller Road (T-707) downstream to Harrisburg Pike (SR 4020)) – Little Muddy Creek (Bowmansville Rd. downstream to 150 yards below SR 897) – Meetinghouse Creek – Middle Creek (PGC's Middle Creek Dam downstream to W. Lime Rock Road) – Muddy Creek (Pleasant Valley Road downstream to SR 897) – Muddy Run (most northern SR 772 crossing by Intercourse downstream to powerline above Monterey Rd.) – Muddy Run Rec Lake – Pequea Creek (Mast downstream to SR 0897) – Stewart Run – Swarr Run (Yellow Goose Road (T-802) downstream to SR 0741) – Trout Run – Unnamed tributary to Muddy Creek (Bowmansville-Rock Run) – West Branch Little Conestoga Creek – West Branch Octoraro Creek

LEHIGH
Cedar Creek (Lake Muhlenburg outflow downstream to mouth) – Coplay Creek – Jordan Creek – Kistler Creek – Laurel Run (South Branch Saucon Creek) – Lehigh Canal (from first lock upstream of Monocacy Creek downstream to Monocacy Creek Crossing) – Little Lehigh Creek – Monocacy Creek – Ontelaunee Creek – Swabia Creek – Switzer Creek – Trout Creek (Big Trout Creek-Slatington)

MONTGOMERY
Deep Creek Dam – East Branch Perkiomen Creek (from near Salfordville Road downstream to Bergey’s Mill Road) – Kepner Creek – Loch Alsh Reservoir – Mill Creek – Pennypack Creek (Lorimer Park) – Perkiomen Creek (county line downstream to first unnamed trib downstream of Fruitville Road (T-414)) – Skippack Creek – Stony Creek – Unami Creek – Wissahickon Creek (from Lafayette Ave. downstream to Stenton Ave.)

NORTHAMPTON
Bushkill Creek – Hokendauqua Creek – Indian Creek – Jacoby Creek – Lehigh Canal (0.6 mile downstream of Carbon County line downstream to confluence with Bertsch Creek, and first lock upstream of Monocacy Creek crossing downstream to confluence with Nancy Run Crossing) – Little Bushkill Creek – Martins Creek – Minsi Lake – Monocacy Creek – Saucon Creek

PHILADELPHIA
Pennypack Creek (county line downstream to Frankford Avenue (SR 0013)) – Wissahickon Creek (Germantown Pike downstream to tributary at intersection of Forbidden Drive and Lincoln Drive)

SCHUYLKILL
Bear Creek – Cold Run – Deep Creek – Little Catawissa Creek – Little Mahanoy Creek – Little Schuylkill River (Two sections-from confluence with Locust Creek downstream to confluence with Panther Creek and from mouth upstream 1.1 miles to Port Clinton) – Lizard Creek – Locust Creek – Locust Lake – Lower Little Swatara Creek – Mahantango Creek – Mahoning Creek – Neifert Creek Dam – Pine Creek (trib to Little Schuylkill River) – Pine Creek (trib to Mahantango Creek) – Pine Creek (trib to Schuylkill River) – Pumping Station Dam – Rabbit Run Reservoir (off East Valley Rd. SW of Tamaqua) – Red Creek (Landingville) – Sweet Arrow Lake – Upper Little Swatara Creek – Whipoorwill Dam

The special reg waters for this region are:

ATW open year round:
BERKS
Tulpehocken Creek – from covered bridge at T-921 downstream to the mouth
Kaercher Creek Dam (fall stocking)
NORTHAMPTON
Minsi Lake
SCHUYLKILL
Tuscarora Lake (fall and winter stocking)

C&R:
NORTHAMPTON
Bushkill Creek – 1.1 miles; from the dam at Binney and Smith downstream to the 13th Street Bridge

C&R all tackle:
CHESTER / MONTGOMERY
Valley Creek – at Valley Forge and tributaries including Little Valley Creek. Be aware that Valley Forge National Historic Park has imposed special bait restrictions. Check local posters.

C&RFFO:
CHESTER
French Creek – 0.9 mile; from the dam at Camp Sleepy Hollow downstream to Hollow Road
DELAWARE
Ridley Creek – 0.6 mile; from the falls in Ridley Creek State Park downstream to the mouth of Dismal Run
LANCASTER
Donegal Creek – 2.4 miles; from 275 yards below SR 772 downstream to T-334
West Branch Octoraro Creek – 2.0 miles; from 30 yards downstream of the SR 0472 downstream to 230 yards upstream of the second unnamed tributary downstream of SR 2010 (Puseyville Road)
LEHIGH
Little Lehigh Creek – 1.8 miles; from the downstream face of the bridge on T-508 (Wild Cherry Lane) downstream to the upstream face of the bridge on T-510 (Millrace Road)
Little Lehigh Creek – 1 mile; from upstream face of Fish Hatchery Road bridge downstream to near the 24th Street bridge

DHALO:
BERKS
Tulpehocken Creek – 3.8 miles; from the first deflector below Blue Marsh Dam downstream to the covered bridge
CHESTER
East Branch Brandywine Creek – 1.2 miles; from SR 4019 (Dorlan’s Mill Road) downstream to SR 4004 (Dowlin Forge Road)
Pickering Creek – 1.5 miles; from SR 1019 (Charlestown Road) downstream to 330 yards upstream of the railroad bridge
Middle Branch White Clay Creek – 1.7 miles; from SR 3009 (Good Hope Road) downstream to the confluence with the East Branch
West Valley Creek – 1.2 miles; from the confluence with the unnamed tributary (locally known as Colebrook Run) upstream of SR 2020 (Boot Road) downstream to 0.25 miles downstream of the railroad tunnel
SCHUYLKILL
Bear Creek – 1.9 miles; from a cable 800 yards above T-662 downstream to the downstream side of the bridge on T-676
Little Schuylkill River – 1.7 miles; from SR 895 in New Ringgold downstream to the T-848 Bridge near Rauschs

TT:
NORTHAMPTON
Monocacy Creek – 1.9 miles; from Illick’s Mill Dam upstream to and including the Gertrude Fox Conservation Area
Saucon Creek – 2.1 miles; from the upstream boundary of the city of Bethlehem property downstream to the SR 0412 bridge

So they only need to stock 18 special reg areas as opposed to 134 (a rough count)ATW's.

Going by this they would have to average: .5 streams a day in the SEPA region as opposed to almost 4 a day in the same time frame.

Why wouldnt it be possible?

Back