Browns Like Big, Nasty White Streamers

Raff

Raff

And people call me crazy for throwing 5.5-inch articulated white streamers out west! Shows them.

http://thisisflydaily.com/2009/12/03/browns-are-carnivorous/

I apologize to those of you that have heard the story multiple times, but my largest spring creek brown regurgitated a 6-8 inch trout when I was fighting it.

Use big streamers, people. They will work.

Yeah,they do but like many who spent years throwing big streamers out west -I settled for a no.2 as being big enough.

#2 got to be easier to throw then a fly the size of that white fish..

Hey,
JayL,

Have you seen the preview for "Rivers of a lost Coast"...Those guys were catching 25lbers on #12 size boss flys, bead head turned up eye..

Sad thing is I visit family in Sebastopol, Ca all the time, they live like 15min from the Russian...Shame the runs are gone, I'd sink a fly for one of those monsters..

wineries are still there.

I will check it out.

I like to throw big flies on spring, but the big one took a scud. I have some size 2s tied for penns this year.

OK since the angler in the video was not from this board, I think I can safely ask if anyone else thought that was an awfully long time to have that trout out of the water with a half-swallowed meal in his gullet?

The video shows the fish swimming away seemingly in a healthy manner.

They like big nasty black, brown, and green ones too.

So do brookies and rainbows - although my sense is browns are more tuned to eating other fish.

JackM wrote:
OK since the angler in the video was not from this board, I think I can safely ask if anyone else thought that was an awfully long time to have that trout out of the water with a half-swallowed meal in his gullet?

I think the filmed part wasn't too long to keep it out of the water. Who knows how long it was out before that though. Long enough to weigh it. Also, the fish wasn't flopping at all. The ones I always hold up try to get back in the water, and flop within seconds, usually before a picture is snapped for me. Steelhead have stayed still for me, but they are different. I gotta learn how to keep trout still like that for pictures.

JackM...........you read my mind!!!! I was thinkin why not just hit it in the head with a rock and be humane about it.

Well, I am not saying the fish died, but it was a little unnecessary under the circumstance. I am not squeamish. either, about killing a trout, but if you are going to release the fish, I think you should give the best chance of survival consistent with your purpose.

I often admire fish out of water, get photos, show them to persons nearby (from a distance usually) and have dropped fish accidentally, not to mention many unfortunate hookings, but during that clip, I began to feel uncomfortable with the length of time out of water. The fish had stopped gasping and when placed in the water, it lay motionless through at least two "tugs" before slowly sulking off.

I don't know why I am being contrary this morning, but I also wonder if finding a trout with a particular food item in it's gullet translates directly into a conclusion that such food item is a significant part of that particular trout's diet. It could be an occasional feeding behavior that bears no relation to the most effective method to fish for them at that time or at any other time. It is an interesting question though whether there are any times when the trout actually "key on" baitfish, such as when a migrating school passes through or takes up temporary residence within the trout(s') territory.

This is all said equally with respect to the size of the baitfish. While that trout was willing to make a meal of a fish he could barely swallow, given the right conditions, don't you think it would have prefered taking 3 meals half that size? Food for thought?

Gotta agree with that part too Jack.......trout are oppertunistic sp? just cause something is in the stomach doesn't necessarily mean that it's a major part of it's diet , for example , i remember my uncle once caught a nice brookie on Clear Shade creek , which he killed and while in the process of cleaning it found a nice sized hemlock pine cone in it's stomach , don't know what that trout thought it was but i can see where it would "look" good , however i doubt if pine cones are a major food source for those Clear Shade brookies. So far i don't see anything contrary , just thought through a little more.

Every time I watch a fishing show I start screaming "put it back".
My wife wants to know if they heard me.
I seldom watching fishing shows anymore as the grinning idiot shots infuriate me.We know what fish look like,no need to show us your "big un".
Other then that I have no opinion on that subject,lol
Whitefish are greyish.
Whitefish,suckers.sculpin are significant food items For TROUT.Ants,jassids ,midges and mites all make good patterns for dry fly fishermen.

Since You asked I found through many years of streamer fishing big western waters that while you seldom were able to see rejections- by comparing results on similar days,similar conditions.,
takes dropped noticeably with larger than 2s,4s and 6s would get more hits but you also took more smaller trout and whitefish.
In Montana anyway 4s and 6s good sizes unless you are concentrating on 4 pounders and up -8s are good on smaller streams,yellowstone etc.

Those fishing shows drive me crazy.

I too yell at the tv "put'em back". Guess what- we've all seen an 18 inch trout before. I can't watch the Tarpon tourneys anymore- I get too disgusted.

Who thinks someone is crazy for throwing large streamers? Not me.

What's the biggest fly a decent caster can chuck with a five weight?

For me the question comes down to do you enjoy casting supersized flys: my answer is no...To each his own though

sun- Bill Schaadt is my personal hero..

Back