Brownlining

Fredrick

Fredrick

For any of you that don't know what Brownlining this video is for you

That is great! Thanks for sharing. :)

Frederick.............Howdy brother , don't know if that was for me or not , but thanks anyhow , brownliner for life here , you should come and let me take you for carp on the Raystown sometime , it was a pleasure and surprise to meet you at the jam , and i remember asking you the question , "Brownliners have more fun" would make a great bumpersticker , cause it's true , i like to fish for trout , i LOVE to fish for trout , but i REALLY LOVE catching fish and if i have to get my line brown so be it. You make great posts Marine.

Gonna give it a go today- it's fun when you never know what creature may eat your offering. I find brown lining fish to be considerably more ugly than out typical pretty trout.

Carp on a fly rood is a hoot.

But seeing that guy in the video using his teeth to trim the tag line while brown lining was a little disturbing. ;-)

Sight fishing for cruising carp is Pennsylvania Redfishing.

Kid,

Good luck. The creek was still running high and muddy as of yesterday, but I did manage some dry fly action on top!

Tight Lines

PFG

Attachments

• IMG_0559.jpg
    IMG_0559.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0563.jpg
    IMG_0563.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 3
Nice fish Pitt looks like you have the carp thing figured out :-D

Carp on a 2wt, putting it on the bucketlist.

First one landed. 5 wt with 3x.

Attachments

• P5280006 (Small).JPG
    P5280006 (Small).JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 3
I'm with FarmerDave, I almost gagged when I saw him nipping the line with his teeth! I do it more than I should but never in filthy water like that. I should'nt even do it all!

I'm all for fishing for exotic species like catfish, carp, drum and whatever, but I still prefer to be off the beaten path somewhat. Standing in a glorified sewer fishing for junk fish is not why I enjoy this sport.

JackM wrote:
I'm all for fishing for exotic species like catfish, carp, drum and whatever, but I still prefer to be off the beaten path somewhat. [color=CC0000]Standing in a glorified sewer fishing for junk fish is not why I enjoy this sport.[/color][/quote]

:pint:

Well the way the PFBC takes action to improve water quality these days that might be all that is left in ten years Jack .

JackM wrote:
I'm all for fishing for exotic species like catfish, carp, drum and whatever, but I still prefer to be off the beaten path somewhat. Standing in a glorified sewer fishing for junk fish is not why I enjoy this sport.

Poser! :p ;-)

There is a place near me where you can sight cast to carp and the water is much cleaner. It's in PA, too. but I probably shouldn't spot burn.;-)

Yea, you guys know the obvious spot, but that isn't sight casting. Although you probably could still do well with a bread fly.;-)

However, the place i was talking about was the spillway for the main lake (down near Jamestown). some shallow water where you can sight cast to carp. Lots of panfish willing to take a fly in there too, but I never see anyone else doing it.

Even saw a big musky in there once.

Saw a couple young guys bow fishing for carp in there. If you can bow fish for them, you can sight cast to them with a fly. I haven't done it in there yet, but I used to in the spillway of the lake where i used to live.

Another place that I used to catch a few carp on a fly (when I wasn't having any luck on anything else) was the spillway at Kinzua. I was over near the outflow of the fish htchery, so I guess you could call that brown lining.

Come on Jack! Where's your sense of adventure. You haven't lived till you watch a diaper float on by while you are mending your line. ;-)

We used to have a species of floating material known as the Monongahela Whitefish. About 6 inches long and the shape was as an uninflated balloon.

Ok, now I AM gonna gag!

Farmer,

Believe I know where you are talking about. In the lake itself at the one area, man, I think you could do pretty well with just about anything. :)

Kinzua is a neat fishery. The lake near the dam is pretty dang impressive with carp. There's that parking lot on the S or E side near the dam, just look down over in that corner, and they're everwhere. Can't fish close to the dam, but we used to go up a ways and get down over the bank (not recommended, not easy!), then walk the bank towards the dam. Yes, we went beyond where you're supposed to. It gets better the closer to the dam you go. We always used spinning rods and there'd be next to zero backcast room. But you could catch the heck out of some carp. Its been years but the last time I went with my brother, 2 rods a piece, and we had multiple quadruple headers going on.

That same day, we saw an enormous paddlefish in the spillway, right up against the dam in the corner where the water is slow. One of those would be neat to tangle with, but I think they're filter feeders.

Back