Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Brown trout spawn?

Coworker saw a couple browns that appeared to be spawning a couple days ago. He said the bigger of the two was probably 30".

How long before they're "post" spawn?

Do the bigger brown's only feed at night even in the winter?

Posted on: 2010/10/13 21:38

Re: Brown trout spawn?
From Gettysburg
I'm not sure there's a time I'd regard as "post spawn" for browns here in PA although if I had to pick a date it would be about Dec 15th. Most brown trout spawning, esp in limestone streams, is in Nov although you could certainly see some of them on redds in mid October. I'm also not sure about the prevalence of nocturnal behavior in winter. The conventional wisdom is that browns are more active at mid day in winter due to warmer temps and my fishing experience bears this out... however it would not surprise me to discover that many large browns, esp in limestone streams with relatively warm winter temps, remain largely nocturnal during the colder months.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 23:06

Thanks.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 15:44

Sanctuary, If you take me to this particular stretch of water, I can help show you how to catch that fish. ...post spawn

Posted on: 2010/10/14 15:50
So when you see me, you gon see my goooons

There is actually some scientific research that indicates brown trout are MORE nocturnal during the winter. This suggests that trout do not necessarily choose the warmest part of the day to feed during the winter. However, that study was done in Norway, so its not clear how extensible those results are to PA. Night lasts a long time during the winter in Norway. The fish may be more nocturnal by default.

In my experience, spawning is the only time you will generally see big trout like that exposed during the day. They don't usually remain in the same location after spawning. The larger fish tend to stack up near the bottom of slow, deep pools in winter. Your best bet is to seek out the slowest, deepest pools you can find and fish egg patterns and streamers on the bottom of the deepest areas, especially during overcast days.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 20:31

From LV
He'll move back to big water after the spawn.

Posted on: 2010/10/17 18:37

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com