Brookies are Spawning in the Poconos

Foxgap239

Foxgap239

Went out for some October Brookie fishing today and did okay but finally figured out why they weren't going crazy for my flies. They are already spawning. I saw 3 or 4 pairs working redds. I sat and watched one pair for about 15 minutes. Awesome sight. Not sure if you can see this pair or not. Enjoy if you can, I know I did!

Please be careful to not step on redds.

Attachments

• IMG-20121014-00017.jpg
    IMG-20121014-00017.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 6
Nice!

Here's 1 that took my streamer.........real hard too!

Attachments

• php9wGGY0PM.jpg
    php9wGGY0PM.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 0
Great pic Fox!

Edit: Great pics Fox!

Swattie if someone would have told me I'd enjoy watching two fish spawn rather than fish, I'd have told them they were crazy. I guess I didn't know me as well as I thought!

cool pic

Save spawning brookies and harvest mergansers. They will gorge on native brookies. There really seem to be a lot more of them in recent times in the Poconos. See any in your journeys?

The brookies are spawning in northcentral PA too.

troutbert wrote:
The brookies are spawning in northcentral PA too.

Interesting - I was there Friday and Saturday and I walked about six miles on a stream. I only saw what I would count as one pair that appeared to be spawn oriented (along with two males that looked like hatchery aggressive fish, circling around, biting each other, and even rolling each other on their sides - reminded me of some Rocky Mountain sheep butting heads).

Perhaps the cold snap Friday night into Saturday morning was the trigger? Temp went down to 20 degrees where I was..

I was up NCPA last week and brookies there are spawning and weren't even in the sections I fished.

They are pairing up in SW Pa too. To me it's just so dang cool that brookies are spawning anywhere within a 100 miles of Philly , THAT says alot about many things , Nice call FOX on asking folks to walk around the redds , not everyone knows that. They do get harder to catch when they are at it , but like FOX says it is so cool to sit and watch em , and they deserve a break now , the last time i was out was on Cub Run around the 12 th , very little water in Cub itself but at the mouth there were brookies in Clear Shade creek , waiting for the rain. NEAT POST FOX

Can picture Fox streamside, dutifully putting quarters in the brookie peep-show box... Bow-chicka-WOW_WOW!

Haha someone needs to get on a photoshop of that idea

Brookies are spawning in SCPA also. Saw at least 4-5 couples, doin the deed today in a Cumberland valley Nat repo stream.

mcfinn wrote:
Can picture Fox streamside, dutifully putting quarters in the brookie peep-show box... Bow-chicka-WOW_WOW!

Fox musta started a tab on his charge card. One of the streams we hit yesterday in Central PA had lots of spawning brookies paired up on redds.

There was so many active spawners on redds, we just stayed out of the water to avoid interfering with them. Awesome sight to see so many fish on redds doing their spawning dances. The colors on the male fish were unbelievable!

We also saw some browns on redds in a Central PA limestoner.....

Attachments

• brookies on redd.jpg
    brookies on redd.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Fox brookie.jpg
    Fox brookie.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 0
I was awesome watching the brookies with you guys! I need to figure out how to post the video I took of a half dozen males trying to court a female that was already spoken for. It was really cool to watch. The picture below was from the same stream the day before.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 0
^lol @ H_A & Double D...
wanted to riff on BOTH of (their) syrupy voyeurism comments, but
the above brookie pic was just too freakin' MANLY! Splendid colors, respectable rod/reel and above average streamside memory to be sure.
Well done.
(P.S., to quote DD, 'I see how it is...')

Back