Brookies and the new 3wt

BrooksAndHooks

BrooksAndHooks

Well finally got my 3wt put together today and took it out for a test on a little local blue line. Water was very high which made this a tough day but the reel balanced the rod out great, the rod was actually a little front heavy so I choke up about a half inch of my normal grip. It casts great, very delicate and exact casts. I like the length as well. Ended up with a 7' 6" redington classic trout, and an Allen ATS. With backing line and leader, the whole cost was pretty reasonable and this will take over for me as my small stream rod, and let me keep a heavier leader and tippet on the 5wt for the larger streams. Felt like I got comfortable with this setup very quickly. Even caught a nice hungry little brookie. Can't complain. The stream was beautiful with the rushing water as well, all the falls were at full strength.

Attachments

• IMG_4905Edit1rodsmall.jpg
    IMG_4905Edit1rodsmall.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8068editbrookie1small.jpg
    IMG_8068editbrookie1small.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 4
Nice. Thanks for sharing. I like that picture of the rod with the stream in the background.

Nice nothing like Brookies and a new outfit, this one will be with you for along time. Congrats

Fishing was tough on a brookie stream when the water was high? Thats usually when I've done my best fishing. They cant see you and will eat almost anything. Does this stream have a good population of fish?

Coloring up for the spawn.:) Nice pics, good outfit. You'll find a 7'6" rod ideal for brookie streams.

Nice way to break in the new setup

Thanks guys! Yeah, loving the new rod and reel, already itching to go out again.

Fisherboy, the stream was pretty much completely blown out, was next to impossible to get the flies down and get good drifts. The nature of this small stream is tight with a lot of obstacles, overgrowth, etc, which added to the difficulty. I've caught 17 fish on this stream in an afternoon before so I would say there is a pretty healthy population! A few more days and it will probably be about perfect level to fish. There is a ton of snow melt coming off right now, and we just got an inch of rain 2 days ago.

aren't thin blue lines closed right now, or is that just approved trout waters ?

i ask, because theres a couple i'd like to try before trout season starts.

nice setup btw.

As I understand nothing closes but the approved trout stocking waters. There is a "regulations" thread going somewhere right now with information in it. I know for a fact this stream is open though. I also will be checking out a few new wild reproduction streams before season, but waiting for water levels to drop a little more before checking out something completely new.

Thanks, it gets the job done so far, and gives me a spare rod/reel in case something happens to my 5wt or I have a friend who wants to come along some day.

Bought a Winston BIIIX 8.5 3wt this winter and fished it for first on Big Springs last week. I have an orvis 3 wt I bought years ago which fishes like a wet noodle. This Winston Boron rod is a great rod with enough backbone to throw a line.

"Ended up with a 7' 6" redington classic trout, and an Allen ATS. With backing line and leader, the whole cost was pretty reasonable..."

redington has some fine gear had decent prices... the CT rods, drift reels, and crosswater waders are all good deals imho...

aren't thin blue lines closed right now, or is that just approved trout waters ?

In general, the only thing that's closed is ATWs. There are some special cases dealing with waters downstream of ATWs, but for my pre-season fishing, I prefer to not pore over the details and stick to places I know are open. Most of what are commonly referred to as "blue lines" in groups like this are not ATWs, and are open.

If in doubt, use the PFBC county guide. Right now (for streams), if it's plain orange, its out. If it's blue, green, or black/orange, it's open.

salmo, sounds like you got a good setup. I think this CT rod has some good casting power from what I have seen so far. Plenty for where I will be fishing it.

k- bob,

I have the cross water waders, and the crosswater combo was my started 5wt setup. Needless to say I have been very impressed by the affordable quality so far. Great stuff.

Great summary Cold. That is probably a good rule to stick to.

I have wanted a boron rod for some time, so I am looking fot ward to using it a lot this year. I got a lamson litespeed with it so I'm set to go.

Back