Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Brookie versus Brownie habitat ?

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Swamp/Peat type acidity seams to have a very different effect than does sulfuric acidity. I don't know why, but it does seem to be true.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 16:36

From LV
Tannic water is different from water where acid precipitation occurs, it may be an organic/in-organic thing, I don't know the details. But here in PA tannic streams don't usually have a lot of browns, not that they won't, but if they are cold enough brookies will dominate until the stream reaches a point that the tannic acid is neutralized somewhat. And yes the streams in Scotland and Ireland have tannic quality to them, but in Scotland at least the waters I saw didn't look tannic at all.
BTW the highlands of Scotland have the same geology as the Catskills.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 12:53

I know a few tannic streams that are just absolutely full of brown trout. Some that are full of brook trout. And some that have plenty of both.

Acid precip, acid rock discharge, AMD, etc. are all the same type of acid. Sulfuric.

Tannic water is tannic acid. Different stuff can have different effects.

However, I think the main difference is one of appearance vs. realityl. A little bit of tannic acid really changes the water color a lot, but it takes a lot to lower the pH all that much. So we see a tea colored stream, realize it's tannic acid, and think that it must be really acidic. It may only be slightly acidic.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 13:09

Some tannic streams in PA hold both brook and brown trout. Others hold only brook trout. The difference is in the pH of the streams.

You cannot tell the pH and alkalinity by the color of the water.

As you go from neutral pH towards lower pH, you reach a point where the browns drop out, but brookies are still there.

So, in answer to geebee's question, yes, brook trout are more tolerant of lower pH than brown trout.

In some acidic streams in PA, brook trout are the only species of fish found. No sculpins, minnows, shiners etc. Brook trout are more tolerant of acidity than those fish.

But as you go towards even lower pH water, you reach a point where the brook trout also drop out, and then there are no fish at all. That is the case in some headwater streams in PA, because of the combination of very infertile geologies in those locations + acid precipitation.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 13:10

Sorry TB, I edited my post and added the last paragraph. Then submitted, and saw your post, so you said pretty much the same thing at the same time...

Posted on: 2013/10/10 13:13

Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Sorry TB, I edited my post and added the last paragraph. Then submitted, and saw your post, so you said pretty much the same thing at the same time...

Yep. Brilliant minds think alike.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 13:16

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com