Brookie release video clips

howardfine13

howardfine13

Thought people may enjoy a quick video of some brookies being released after being caught on the fly. It was filmed with a gopro.

Pretty cool. I've tried to get underwater shots, they never come out. What's your secret?

Thanks. No secret. It's just a Go Pro. The Go Pro is a great little camera. I take it hunting, hiking, and fishing all the time. In fact I'm thinking about getting the 3rd generation. That one has a remote control for it.

third gen is so small to its crazy. my fishing buddy has the two and our underwater shots are hit or miss. although most shots were in bass ponds or rivers where it was a bit muddier.

I have tried, with various levels of success, to get underwater shots.

Secret #1: clear water.

Secret #2: Slow water. Air bubbles = bad pictures.

That's a tough combination to get. I mean, lets say the stream is perfectly clear, but has a fair bit of current. So you pick a slow area to do your pics. Now, you wade in, and your foot just kicked up a bunch of dirt, coloring the water there. And with no current, it doesn't go away.

So a slow, smooth current, and takes pics UPSTREAM of you. Or, stand on a rock and reach down in, without wading.

After all that, it's tough to get the fish to behave. When I've attempted it, I leave it on the line and control it by grabbing the line. Then it's aim and pray.

Make sure it's cool water so you're not overly stressing the fish. And to it as quickly as possible. It's a lot harder than taking out of water pics. I find I use it more for scouting than for nice pics. Big hole, aim and shoot. Look later. You can see the undercuts and such that you can't see from above. Occasionally, even a trout hanging in there.

Nealfish,

What is the 3rd gen like? is the quality better than the 2nd gen? Does your friend use the remote frequently?

I really like the idea of the remote. It would be so much easier to set the camera up and just hit the remote to take a shot.

i have the go pro hero 2 and have gotten quite a few nice underwater shots its also a great price and can shoot in 1080p

Back