HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Brook trout in Big Spring
From Gettysburg
Quote:

laszlo wrote:
Interesting, now I always thought that the "ST" for brook trout stood for "square tails"

Makes sense. I've heard this too.

The origin of the term "speckled trout" is also unclear to me (will have to look it up in Nick Karas' book). I think this was an old colonial era term for the native trout that settlers saw....or a term to differentiate the natives from browns when they showed up in the late 19th century(?).

To further muddy the waters, the term "speckled trout" also refers to a saltwater fish in the SE Atlantic and Gulf states. I grew up fishing for "specks" in Texas.

Posted on: 1/3 10:39

The few times I had the pleasure of chatting with Charlie & Vince they also told me about the great brookie fishing in the cress farms on the Letort back in the day.

I did catch ONE brookie between the "S's" many years ago but I also caught a rainbow in the same section so I have to believe they were "undocumented refugees" from downstream.

Posted on: 1/3 11:45

Quote:

Dave_W wrote:
Quote:

laszlo wrote:
Interesting, now I always thought that the "ST" for brook trout stood for "square tails"

Makes sense. I've heard this too.

The origin of the term "speckled trout" is also unclear to me (will have to look it up in Nick Karas' book). I think this was an old colonial era term for the native trout that settlers saw....or a term to differentiate the natives from browns when they showed up in the late 19th century(?).

To further muddy the waters, the term "speckled trout" also refers to a saltwater fish in the SE Atlantic and Gulf states. I grew up fishing for "specks" in Texas.

Speckled trout is commonly used in New England. I haven't heard it used in PA.

In PA people say brook trout, brookies, or natives.

Posted on: 1/3 15:56

Wow, I can't believe you folks left out "hemlock" trout as another name for brookies. That stems from the mountain streams where hemlock trees dominate the riparian areas.

Posted on: 1/3 16:11

From Dauphin
Dave is pretty much spot on for both streams. I’ve fished these streams a ton in the past few years. I’ve seen midges hatching while it was snowing on BS. And sulphurs in the middle of winter on the other. It’s def possible to take fish on top on both streams on a regular basis, but knowing you wbranch, you won’t like the size. The big fish, at least on the Letort, hardly ever rise. It’s a lot easier to come by on BS.

End of the day, sculpins, the big brookies can’t resist them.

Posted on: 1/3 18:11

From Dauphin
Sorry I forgot to mention the main reason I came in here. Check out limestone legends. Really enjoyable.

Posted on: 1/3 18:14

From LV
Ken, FWIW, I was thinking about it as I read through this post, but I don't think you'll find a hemlock along any reach of BS. I'm glad to hear that others have seen the spawning of brookies in January at BS, I believe these spawning brookies from the original strain of natives.
I've been to BS many times and have seen some pretty good hatch activity there and many fish rising to those hatches. The problem is in the catching. Those brookies are some difficult fish to catch, they can be tougher to catch than some of the browns I've fished over in many PA. streams. That's one of the reasons why the Loch Leven Trout were put in many Cumberland Valley Streams.

Posted on: 1/3 18:29

From State College, PA
One of the best hatches for topwater action on Big Spring is the Early Black Stoneflies between January-March. Carry them in #16-18. I used to live 10 mins away from BS, and fished it for the better part of 30 years. I know the place quite well.

Posted on: 1/4 8:23

From Dauphin
Wild-trout. That hatch is prolly the best the Letort has to offer as well

Posted on: 1/5 17:48

From lancaster county
I'd go with bluewings

Posted on: 1/5 17:52

From Lancaster
Quote:
Wild-trout. That hatch is prolly the best the Letort has to offer as well

I like the hopper hatch myself :). I don’t get to fish it much so I usually dredge scuds in between the weeds. I did well once on top with midges.

Posted on: 1/5 20:09

From Lancaster
ST= speckled trout
Speckled trout or "specs" are what they are called in Canada. Same is somewhat true in parts of New England.

Brookies aren't limited to small brooks in those regions and can get pretty large. Calling them brook trout in places where they still thrive like that seems a misnomer.

Posted on: 1/6 8:17

TimB: Calling them "trout" is a misnomer, too! They are char.

Posted on: 1/6 8:48

From Bethlehem, PA
During the Depression, my Dad was in a CC camp near Big Spring. He told me many stories about the big brook trout he caught there. He was a meat fisherman back in the day and kept most/all of what he caught. It was a welcome change from the fare served in the CCC mess hall.

Posted on: 1/6 11:56

The fisherman: He ariseth early in the morning and awaketh the entire household. He arriveth home late at night, smelling of strong drink and the truth is not in him.

I think dry fly fishing on big spring is quite decent. I think you have to think terristrials though. I fished it very often and hard this last summer. If there is a stiff wind and the trees are blowing good things happen. I had a day in the ditch fishing hoppers that I tell people and they call me a lier. I will never forget it for the rest of my life. Sometimes those big rainbows in there really do bite on top as do the brookies. Big spring is beautiful and amazing I consider it the Crown jewl of CV. Keep fishing her and you will have amazing days.

Posted on: 1/7 14:44

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com