Brook Trout of Tiger Trout?

sdwlucas

sdwlucas

Do you think this is a brook trout or tiger trout?

Attachments

• 2x05_30piney_brook.jpg
    2x05_30piney_brook.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 4
brook trout

looks like a tiger to me....

hard to tell for sure, but I'm going with brookie based on the markings I can see. Because I can't see the pectoral fins I can't say 100% for sure. But it doesn't look like a tiger.

I go brookie too, but I have no confidence in that.

This ones a little tougher than the last one. Tiger would be my pick with the wildcard being a large splake. Dont like the word "brook" being in the picture title though.

I'll second splake.

Boyer

Where was it caught?

I saw this picture on the fish commission website and my first thought was it was a lake trout, but then the caption said brook trout so I figure its just a different colored hatchery trout.

Tiger. See the markings toward the tail. No spots but rather a swirling pattern. Ususally they are more pronounced than that, but from the photo that's the best angle. Also in my experience, they are pinkish underneath. When you see one, at first it just looks odd; then you realize why. There is a stream I fish that has not been stocked for more than 30 years where I occasionally, like once a year, catch one. A natural reproduction tiger is pretty cool. Biggest one ever for me was @ 13".

This one is tougher than the last "Tiger Trout Challenge." I too saw it on the PFBC website where they claim it's a brookie that was stocked in the lake. Not being able to see the fish closer I'm inclined to agree that it's a brookie.

If that's a brookie then it's a freak / frankenstein brookie.

Our state fish does not look like that "naturally".

I'd like to hear how many guys here have caught native brookies that looked like this. I never have.

John

here's a illustration of a Lake trout you look at the markings and tell me what that guy is holding. If it is then they are really stupid to put a predator like that into a lake full of brookies. Hopefully the info on the pic is just incorrect.

The distinctive feature of a lake trout is the forked tail. Can't be sure from this photo, but I'd vote brook.

I'm with JF_, it's a frankenstein brookie.

It's obvious that this fish is from a lake environment and brookies in that type of environment often have washed out colors, or a very silver looking. I've caught some brookies that look similar to this one, though not as big, from both lakes and streams connected to large rivers, and they look like this, pale colored fish. That fact that is is a hatchery fish makes more likely to be pale. PFBC is right it is a brookie.

Looks like a stocked brookie to me, too. I suppose it could be a washed out splake, but I'd bet it is a brookie.

Not a tiger (IMHO)

albatross wrote:
The distinctive feature of a lake trout is the forked tail.

Thats a good point...I forgot to even look at the tail.

The missing forked tail is why I thought maybe a large splake. If that truly is a brookie, its one ugly sucker.

Its some sort of stocked pellet fed mongrel....looks like a lot of the stocked what I thought were tigers that I have caught but it could be a brookie. Swab its cheeck for some DNA.

Back