Broke Through The Ice

Swattie87

Swattie87

Put my 2018 license through its first paces yesterday. Felt good to get out of the house and cubicle and into the woods for a day. I usually don't end up taking any days off work from about Thanksgiving until the beginning of April most years. This time of year coincides with the busiest time of year for my job (auto insurance claims) and I like to save my days for better fishing weather. It takes a toll on ya though...Need to do better about getting out fishing on weekends in Winter. I used to be better at it.

Hit a small freestoner with my GF in tow. Had reasonably good action for that type of stream in late January, helped I'm sure by the warm southerly breeze into the mid 50's. Landed a half dozen, mix of Brooks and Browns, including one pretty nice Brown for such a stream my GF got. Had action from double or triple that number, but they're hard to hook on the micro Buggers we were fishing.

Had a nice lunch streamside...Any more this has become a huge part of me enjoying an all day outing in the woods. I look forward to and plan the lunch nearly as much as I plan the fishing destination. Yesterday was jalap chili (Walmart's house line chili's are as good as you can buy for that kind of stuff), and a turkey/cranberry/walnut salad sandwich. IPA to wash it down. Picked up an ultralight backpacking skillet for Christmas that I forgot about til I got home...Gonna use it to toast up some pepperoni bread next time.

A few other thoughts from yesterday...There was evidence of VERY heavy ice still along the stream (see pictures), but there was no remaining ice in the stream channel. I fished once in mid December, but it was a quick couple hour outing. I hadn't been on an all day hike/fish trip since early November...amazing how your cardio goes to garbage. Was sucking wind on the uphills on the 2 mile hike out.

Looks like back to Winter for much of the upcoming 10 days, so glad I got out. I suspect my GF and coworkers will be happy I got out too! :p

Attachments

• 01-27-18 (5) - PAFF.jpg
    01-27-18 (5) - PAFF.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 01-27-18 (9) - PAFF.jpg
    01-27-18 (9) - PAFF.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 01-27-18 (11) - PAFF.jpg
    01-27-18 (11) - PAFF.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 01-27-18 (8) - PAFF.jpg
    01-27-18 (8) - PAFF.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 01-27-18 (6) - PAFF.jpg
    01-27-18 (6) - PAFF.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 1
Nice pics and report. I made it out today for the first time in a long time. I only fished for like an hour but managed one nice rainbow that was a left over stockie. I think I might be able to make it out again tomorrow.....or at least I hope.

Very Nice.

Ive been working on modifying rods for the up in coming smallmouth season. Today I just finished converting over a single handed 10'6" 7wt to a two handed switch rod.
I should be getting out though.
That pic of the stream reminds me of the one we talked about and I really need to start fishing it a bit more. I also need to start packing a lunch like you!

Glad you got out, looks like a great time

Good report, glad you got into some! I've been wondering how PA small streams have been holding up this winter. Bit of a rough one, but we've probably seen the worst of it already.

I hit one of my favorite "tributaries to a blue line" in northern MD last weekend, to my surprise it was completely ice free. Found a few willing brookies. Anything willing to eat this time of year is OK with me.

Thumbs up buddy!

Nice, it was a great day to be out.

Good stuff - highly motivating post Swattie (as usual).

I like the idea of putting in some time planning a shoreside lunch. I usually pack a cheap, canned tunafish lunch. I really ought to give this some more thought. I've got some lightweight, camping utensils and propane cooking gear. Wouldn't be much trouble to bring it and actually cook some good grub for lunch.

Dave_W wrote:
Good stuff - highly motivating post Swattie (as usual).

I like the idea of putting in some time planning a shoreside lunch. I usually pack a cheap, canned tunafish lunch. I really ought to give this some more thought. I've got some lightweight, camping utensils and propane cooking gear. Wouldn't be much trouble to bring it and actually cook some good grub for lunch.

Yeah ^

I fished with DaveW last week and we "broke" for lunch. I found a rock to sit on across the steam, but Dave stood on the bank with rod in hand and pulled out this foil package and ate while standing on the bank. I ask him if it was an MRE from his Army days. I looked up again and Dave was back brush busting and fishing before I even unwrapped my lunch (WaWa shortie and Tastykake). :lol:

Now Mo knows how to live. He carries his mini grill, a cooler filled with meat, fixin's, condiments and adult beverages in his truck at all times. And you never have to ask him twice to go back to the vehicle and have lunch!!

Looks like you had a great day out there, Swattie...good for you!

Glad to see someone getting out during the "thaw" and having a great day. Shore lunch is a fun time . GG

Snow birded to Florida from Michigan last wed. so sitting here in shorts and wondering what are they talking about.Highly recommend the Vero Beach area if thinking of retiring -the Dodgers don't train here anymore but very nice,slow paced,low crime.

Nice touch with the IPA!!! What were the go-to flies??

Thanks everyone. Was definitely a nice day out.

We were using small micro Buggers. Size 14ish maybe. Black/olive, with a little red flash in them. I tend to think they may look like a YOY Brookie, not that color probably matters much in a small stream situation like that. In the Winter I tend to fish them pretty much like a big nymph...upstream on a dead drift. An occasional slight lift or twitch of the rod in slower water.

Most of the fish came from the head of small plunges, or relatively still, flat pools. The bigger Brown was in a knee deep heavy riff though.

Looks like very enjoyable mid-winter day on the water right there!

Excellent report. I noticed the Clarion river where 80 crosses was still covered in solid ice on Saturday. Not much elsewhere though. Spring Creek was kind to me before the rain arrived. Caught a handful including 3 suckers and missed twice as many.

Back