Bristol, Connecticut

D

Dwright

I'm heading to Bristol CT the beginning of February on business and was hoping to get a few hours to wet a line. I searched the Farmington Valley Chapter TU website for some locations. Looks like the Pequabuck River flows close to town. I'm planning on pulling some maps and reaching out to the local TU chapter, but thought I'd see if anyone on the site has fished that area. What can I expect?

I have a friend at ESPN..I'll ask if anyone knows...

BTW...What can I expect?...ice? Hope I'm wrong...I'll get back to you.

Per:Trout Streams of Southern New England: Pequabuck R., Nepaug R., Farmington R.,which has a trout management area.No closed season in the mgt. area.I'd Google Earth the area and go from there.

When I lived up, there the "Hous"...Housatonic River...was by far my favorite to fish. It would typically fish all year, but fishing is dependent on the releases from above the special regs area. 1 generator was good, 2 was marginal, all 3 generators going meant go somewhere else. Lots of bugs in the river including midges and olives for winter fishing, and nympshs galore. It is typically open water because of the generators, even though it is a top-flow release.

I fished the Farmington mostly in Mass, but occasionally in CT. It is a good river, but I just never enjoyed it all that much.

Here's a link that has conditions for both. http://www.dryflies.com/reports-farmington.html

If it were me, I'd try to sneak away to fish the Hous @ Cornwall (go up 8,across 4, and up river rd...the "sand hole" is right on the road and a good starting point)

If you have enough time, the Deerfield and Swift rivers in MA are both bottom release and will fish well all winter. The Swift would be easier to get to for you and fishes very well with midges all winter for big browns and wild brookies.

I would second the Housatonic River in Cornwall recommendation. Beautiful river. I only fished it one time in the fall, but I liked it very much. Plenty of easy wading access spots.

Hey guys, thanks for the leads. It gives me some direction for more research. Looks like Cornwall is about a 50 min. drive from Bristol, that is doable, but I don't think I'll have the time to go further. I'll use the Pequabuck as the backup plan.

Tom, I'll be a stones throw from ESPN. I was worried about the ice, but it sounds like there may be some options.

I fished several places in CT. Housatinic, Saugituck (sp) and some small streams. I had pretty good fishing in April over Hendricksons. But CT is colder and way behind PA as far as the seasons go.

Back