Bring on the rain!

wildtrout2

wildtrout2

We're finally going to get some serious rain! The timing should be perfect to coinside with the weekend. Heavy rain (2"-4") all day tomorrow, and clearing Friday. Saturday morning should have the streams getting lower, with that foggy geen color. Like that in my avatar. That color that allows you to go mostly undetected. The color I LOVE!

I'm going to try to get up to Potter and fish the weekend. Anybody else going to take advantage of this much needed rain?

I am making my first trip to the salmon river and hoping it misses them up there. They have had enough rain.

I'd take an even 5 inches in central and eastern PA.

jayL wrote:
I am making my first trip to the salmon river and hoping it misses them up there. They have had enough rain.

I'd take an even 5 inches in central and eastern PA.

I don't think that's going to be unrealistic at least in Eastern PA... 5" might even be a bit on the conservative side!

Here in Chambersburg it was raining and then stopped. Expecting 2-4 inches. We need it. Stream below my cabin that has natives is all but dry. Last year I watched a pair spawn-that same spot in 1/2 inch deep as of now. Rai, rain, baby rain.

Mike

If by "take advantage of" you mean "fish seven-inch sex dungeons during", then yes, i will take advantage.

Jay,

I think you're going to be fine. Some rain tomorrow, but mostly east of 81 and south of the thruway/tug hill.

I know we had this discussion on streamers a few weeks ago but what else is on in the rain?

Well, the other day during the rain, I was probably the only 60-yr-old stupid enough to be out in it -- at least my wife said so. Anyhow, I used nymphs, and I caught a few. Maybe I, too, should try streamers, but I am such a lousy streamer fisherman...

We are two in the same rrt.. I just don't know how to work em'

You have to be crazy to fish anything that isn't a giant streamer. That said, nymphing with a vladi's worm is not bad either.

Streamers are, by far, your best bet in high flows. I have had great days chucking streamers at flooded banks on many central PA streams.

It depends what you're comfortable with, but bigger is better. I like to fish them higher in the water column, as I'll be attacking shallow spots, and so the fish can silhouette the fly against the sky. DARK, uniform colors are the key. Nothing bright. You want the fish to have an unmistakable outline to target.

When the waters are high and muddy, sculpins will be disoriented, and will be on the move. The fish definitely notice.

I'd take buggers and slumpbusters from size 2-8. The kelly galloup flies will work too, as midnightangler alluded to. Again, bigger is better. Sling them at the banks and work them quickly. Don't bother with the main currents. Just fish the margins.

/shrug. It works for me, and is my favorite way to fish.

When you say slinging it implies its not so much the presentation but the pattern because I have a little trouble with those big flies on 4wt..

I wouldn't use a 4wt, but the presentation is all about stripping it quickly. Landing with a loud splash is a plus.

It's definitely not the pattern, and is 100% the presentation. It's just nor traditional fly fishing presentation. You can use any streamer you'd like with about equal success.

I really think we are going to get way more rain than we really want. It's lookin' pretty bad down south. We are going to go from drought to flood in a matter of a day or two. I just spent an hour or so at my mothers property moving stuff out of her yard like kayaks and benches, tables and chairs. When we get flash floods around here she gets it bad. Her entire property will likely be inundated by tommorow afternoon along the Little Conewago.

You need to get yourself a 6wt.

Big flies will definitely stress a small rod. One year I broke four, basically all from the repetitive stress of throwing big flies at night. Then I got a reddington predator. It was a great buy.

jake, I think your right about flooding, the ground is hard as a rock and most of that rain is gonna fun right into the tribs and creeks. luckily we're on the fringe of it here in the western part, but hopefully we'll get enough to give the steelies a bump.
last time a tropical storm hit this area the town of harmony was under 10 feet of water, not fun.

Here in the Enola area, we're getting hit hard with the rain. Yesterday and all night last night, and calling for more. I heard 4 to 5 inch could be expected.

PaulG

So far, not too bad here in Adams Co as of now - not sure about this afternoon. The rain we had the other day, I think, softened the ground a bit and with the fairly slow rate it's coming down I think much will sink in. Also, the creekbeds are still low around here and the river channels are very low so there's plenty of room to rise. I was on the Potomac last night at Harper's Ferry and it was the lowest I've ever seen it so we can certainly handle some rain. Let's hope it's slow and steady and the winds don't get too riled up. So far, so good.

The rain is staying just west of Erie county and moving slightly east. I'm not holding my breath for this weather to reach Erie.

This is what we have been waiting for. I haven't fish in a month due to low water. This weekend I will be making up for lost time. High water and hungry trout means buggers and streamers. Everyone head to YBO fly stretch so I won't be bothered on my favorite mountain stream.

Back