Breakthrough

PSUFishMenace

PSUFishMenace

This summer I am retaking calc 2 because I didn’t do so well in the spring. Tuesday in class the professor returned our first exam: I aced it! I think I finally understand that stuff, and the score I got reflected a huge breakthrough for me. But that was not the only breakthrough I had Tuesday.

The second breakthrough came on a tiny brookie stream that I decided to hit up when I got home late in the afternoon. I know I am not the only board member who fishes this stream, last year someone posted about it without revealing the location so I will do the same. I happened to stumble upon it a few months later and recognized it from the pictures. The post gave me the impression that it was a pretty special stream so I was a bit confused when my first trip turned up only three average-sized natives in a long stretch of water. I wrote it off as mainly a chub stream and did not return until a few weeks ago.

On that trip a few weeks ago, I managed 5 brookies, the largest was 7”. I was still unimpressed with the size of the fish and the stream but I did see a lot more trout than I had initially believed were there. The next day I went back to explore upstream further, no luck there but I did pull two nice ones out of a pool that I thought only held chubs. Hmmmm…

Tuesday I got to the stream around 5:30. This time, instead of hiking my way downstream and fishing back up, I decided to do the opposite. That way I could use the current to hold my fly in the tiny pockets where the trout are instead of having it race by them before they can react. I still had a brown foam ant tied on from my last brookie adventure and decided to stick with it.

I crept up to the first and largest pool (first picture) and flicked the ant into an eddy next to where the main current enters. Immediately a small fish missed, either a fingerling or a chub, I stripped it slowly and just before it reached the edge of the pool, a very nice brookie shot out and snatched it. It was just over 7”, the largest I have caught from this creek. I took a quick pic, let it go and flicked the ant back into the same spot. I missed another one on three consecutive casts before I gave up on it. Now I made a cast to the rocky outside bend of the pool and BAM another brookie, this one was a bit smaller. I was off to a fast start.

I didn’t get any more strikes in that pool but I saw at least four other trout in it as I walked by to continue downstream. I caught a 6” brookie in each of the next two pockets (third pic). Three pools, four trout. The stream was on fire and it didn’t stop there. By the time I left at 8 pm I had landed a total of 14 brookies, and missed plenty more. The first one ended up being the biggest of the day, and I also caught my smallest brookie ever (last pic and my avatar lol). I saw a good amount of large yellow mayflies in the air and maybe on a larger stream the fish would have keyed in on them. But twitching my foam ant across the pockets and slowly back upstream along the edge of the current seemed to make trout materialize from every pocket deeper than a few inches. A few casts in each pocket and they would inevitably demolish it. I learned a lot about getting a good hookset yesterday, most importantly, don’t try to set when the line-to-leader knot is two inches away from the top guide. When you strip or lift to set and that knot gets stuck it momentarily stops your hookset.

I also noticed the trout in this stream are a bit odd-looking. They have the orange bellies (which did not show up well on camera) but many of the ones I caught had hardly any vermiculations (squiggly markings) on the back. Maybe it is because they were smaller than what I catch in other streams, but their backs were just very dark green on top with just a narrow strip of squiggly lines above the normal spot pattern. I think it’s fascinating how the patterns can vary from stream to stream. Another stream has brookies that commonly lack yellow/orange on the belly and a different stream produces a number of brookies with no red spots.

I know it’s a cliché but Tuesday was a lesson in not judging a book by its cover. That goes for math and trout streams. I didn’t give up on the stream after my first (and second, and third) mediocre outing, tried something different, and was rewarded with the most trout I have ever caught flyfishing and twice as many as my best trip in the past 10 months. It took me a few tries, but I finally realize why this stream is so special.

Attachments

• huge pool.JPG
    huge pool.JPG
    497.3 KB · Views: 7
  • nice brookie.JPG
    nice brookie.JPG
    284.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 7 feet across.JPG
    7 feet across.JPG
    503.7 KB · Views: 2
  • average fish.JPG
    average fish.JPG
    269.4 KB · Views: 2
  • sometimes the ant gets you.JPG
    sometimes the ant gets you.JPG
    242 KB · Views: 2
PSU,
Good stuff. The photos are nice but of particular note is the last brookie in the sequence (the one in your avatar) - this is a very unusual fish. It's got distinct parr marks but apparently no spots. I've never seen a brookie like that.
Very unique.

remember....

integral udv = uv - integral vdu

Nice fish!

Calc 2. What a nightmare. I had to retake that one as well. Probably the hardest college math course I took, and I had to take quite a few being an engineering major.

Really nice fish. Beautiful!

LOL wsender that was on the last test! You forgot +C :p

Next week we start sequences D-:

And FI the spots on that guy are indeed very faint, I hadn't noticed that before. I'll chalk it up to the fish being so young, it was literally the size of my pinky finger. But it would be funny to catch one without spots next year!

PSUFishMenace wrote:
LOL wsender that was on the last test! You forgot +C :p

Next week we start sequences D-:

And FI the spots on that guy are indeed very faint, I hadn't noticed that before. I'll chalk it up to the fish being so young, it was literally the size of my pinky finger. But it would be funny to catch one without spots next year!

you don't add the constant of integration until you actually integrate. at that point no integration has taken place yet.

calc ii is a bear. Someone above me said it's the hardest math class they took as an engineering major and i agree. it's a beast. i'm taking differential equations and calc iii now and combined they're not as bad as calc ii.

I have a physics degree with a math minor, and then a materials science graduate degree.

I found calc and calc II to be very easy, honestly. I also loved Chaos and various engineering maths. Where I struggled was differential equations, never did quite grasp that one, though I made it through.

Cool on the brookie stream. Good pics too.

I think it’s fascinating how the patterns can vary from stream to stream.

Absolutely, me too. Though the red belly thing, I don't think thats genetic. Diet, and season. In the fall, when the males go into breeding colors, you'll see the brightest reds.

But the squigglies, the red spot pattern (not the intensity or color, thats diet), and the size of the yellow marks seems to be genetic I think, and distinct between streams.

You will probably never use calc. Computers do the math, just have to understand the results.

A lot of truth to that. For instance an integral. Knowing how to do the math and find the right solution is unimportant, that will be done for you. Understanding how to come up with the function to integrate, and that the integral represents the area under the curve, is very important, though.

Are you in the FF club at PSU? I was going to join last year but I'm kind of a shy person so I never got around to e-mailing the prof in charge.

pcray1231 wrote:
I have a physics degree with a math minor, and then a materials science graduate degree.

I found calc and calc II to be very easy, honestly. I also loved Chaos and various engineering maths. Where I struggled was differential equations, never did quite grasp that one, though I made it through.

Cool on the brookie stream. Good pics too.

I think it’s fascinating how the patterns can vary from stream to stream.

Absolutely, me too. Though the red belly thing, I don't think thats genetic. Diet, and season. In the fall, when the males go into breeding colors, you'll see the brightest reds.

But the squigglies, the red spot pattern (not the intensity or color, thats diet), and the size of the yellow marks seems to be genetic I think, and distinct between streams.

Show off! Calc I was cake, Calc ii i thought was a little tougher, still got an A though. Just a lot of memorization. I'm working on my BSEE, wish me luck.

haha I was just testing you wsender. I knew that about the +C ;-)

So far this summer I have an A, think I just never got a good grasp of the material the way they teach it up there, lord knows I spent enough time trying to figure it out. The prof I have now will explain some concept for what the basic formulas mean and suddenly I realize how much it would have helped to have known that last semester instead of just being given the basic formulas.

For those of you who go to school at Penn State, I would highly recommend joining the fly fishing club. You don't have to do anything special to join, just show up at their next meeting. When I was at Penn State in the mid to late 2000s, they had their meetings every Thursday evening. Must meetings people just show up and tie flies. They have a huge supply of tying supplies and tools. Every once in a while, they have guest speakers such as george daniels and joe humphreys. Penn State also has a fly fishing class that you can take towards your gym requirement. Even if you are already an experience fly fisherman, its still worth taking.

I was trying to get into that class this semester but it interfered with another one of my classes. I opted for judo instead. Maybe I will be able to take it as an elective next spring, but seeing as how I am going to be a senior that might be my last chance.

Ah, this is getting OT, so back to fishing- I went back to the area today, spent half the time hiking/bushwacking along a really tiny tributary to get to the lower end of the creek. There were maybe 5 trout in the trib but funny thing is they looked bigger (8-9") and had a different pattern from the ones in the other branch of the creek (my original post). Did not catch any there but picked up a few little guys upstream in the main branch (last quarter mile or so below the trib was unfishable, bummer!). I also caught what i think was a rosyside dace. I remember them being discussed before and if I remember correctly they are a sign of excellent water quality (as if the brookies and giant mayflies weren't enough proof).

Can't get enough of this place.

skcuf, PM on the way.

If I was a senior I MIGHT be able to get into that class. It fills up before I can even start scheduling.

and had a different pattern from the ones in the other branch of the creek (my original post)

Yup. People say I'm crazy for claiming stuff like that. But it doesn't change reality. Those kind of observations are what leads you to ask questions. You think about diet, sunlight, etc., as well as evolution and genetics. And when you start asking those kinds of questions, you really do get a better understanding of how things work out there. Brookie streams are the perfect laboratory, it's the isolation.....

Back