Black Stonefly "Hatches"

G

Goose

Yesterday on the Juniata River and today on the Frankstown Branch, I observed lots of small stoneflies with thin black bodies and mottled tan/black wings (size 18?) which appeared to be emerging midstream. As these flies left the water, they headed straight for the streamside vegetation. Is it possible there is a stonefly here that emerges midstream instead of on the rocks? Were these egg laying adults that had floated by unnoticed by me, only to appear as if they were emerging when they took flight again? Some other explanation? I didn't get a picture, but they are definitely stoneflies.

Over the last two days I have been seeing the same thing and I am a believer that they cone to the streamside rocks. There were definitely egg layers too but it appeared the "hatch" in the shallow riffles and runs where indeed stoneflys. They would sly straight up.

The fish seemed to be on the egg layers though.

Brett and I were on the Frankstown Branch today as well,We saw the lb's and they were comming from the middle of the stream when we saw them. When were you there? We were there from about 2-5. Brett got 13 a mix of bluegills& Red eyes.

I was riding my bike on the rails to trails path and didn't notice any emergence until I got all the way to the lower end around 1:30 P.M.
There were quite a few little smallmouths sipping something off the surface or right in the film, but I couldn't tell what it was.

Back