Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Bittersweet Moment

Sas- Very nice story. I will not pretend to understand your elderly friends emotions. Obviously he thinks highly enough of you to pass his prized possessions on to you. No need to apologize. I actually find stories like this very interesting as they open up a chapter in our human interactions. Have fun with the equipment, thats what it is meant for.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 19:02

From SW PA (Pittsburgh Area)
This is a great story and it's what fishing is all about. I can only hope someday I have a son or someone else that would be this greatly about any gear I pass on to him...

Posted on: 2013/7/18 21:16

From Ephrata, PA
Thanks guys. I spent the evening going through the Richardson. Every fly was hand tied. A lot of hooks were rusty, but I put those flies in another box. Just couldn't bring myself to chuck them. Many flies are still usable. Tomorrow I'm floating the Conestoga in the morning, I will be using a rod (breaking my own rules...fishing w/ graphite!) that he gave me, as well as a reel. Hopefully I land some chunkers to email him.

Both of us thought last year when we couldn't line up our schedules to fish that we would have this summer and fall. Well, things didn't work out that way. His family is pretty insistent that he stays off the water. No pond fishin, even.

One thing he said to me yesterday, and it didn't hit me until last night. He asked me if I have people I fish with. I told him that my dad and my brother, we all fly fish. He liked that. He had all daughters and none of them were interested in it. He asked about friends. I said, "Yeah I have a bunch!" He said he never had fishing buddies. When I thought about this last night, it made me realize how fortunate we are to have this site. I think of all the guys I fish with from this site like Tim Robinsin, Sal, WGMiller, Swattie, Slay, English Prof, Foxgap (that one time...haha!), Fade, Csoult, Turkey, Bikerfish, Skybay, BradfromPotter, DaveS, Wetfly01 (and a bunch of others that I can't rattle off right off the top of my head)not to mention the tons of people I've met who I haven't had a chance to fish with yet. It seems like no matter where I go in the state, chances are I have a "fishing buddy" right around the corner. We all come from different backgrounds, different creeds, but we all love fishin, and it's a common thread that allows us to get together and have a great time.

Alright...enough of this Squatch-sap!

Posted on: 2013/7/19 8:32

From Ephrata, PA
Quote:

kbobb wrote:
Would it be a good idea to have a special kid catch his first fish on one of these rods and tell the kid tales of where it came from and what it means? this fellow may appreciate that his life is giving life to a special youngster and that as such he will continue to live on the streams.

Kind of close to this...my oldest daughter, who is four, sat at the table with me last night for well over an hour going through everything that this man gave me. I wasn't sure what all was passed onto me, it was certainly a treasure trove. My daughter, who didn't seem to show much interest in fishing yet, loved it. She kept saying things like, "that reel is beautiful!" or "This sure was nice of Mr. #### to give you these things!" I loved sharing that experience with her.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 8:44

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com