Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Bittersweet Moment

From Ephrata, PA
I appreciate the stories. I'm glad legacies get passed down from generation to generation. It's an honor to be able to receive, and while you don't want to think about giving your gear up some day, you hope you can be a blessing to someone else just as you were blessed by the generation before you.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 15:49

From South Central PA
Just a few hours ago, as in today, this man was sobbing and saying he felt like he gave his life away. Symbolically he is at some level starting to build his own coffin, and the realization seems to be hitting hard right now. This is a crushing thing for a person to experience. That is the red thread, or at least it should be, just for this day, just for this man. Hopefully someone was there to put their arms around him at the time. And yet the thread turns to fly fishing implements and passing on tradition, with an old man's misery now almost lost in the shuffle.

All the rest is a great story, and very nice, but the juxtaposition is all wrong, even if it makes for a better internet forum moment. Somehow I doubt many of you made the effort to feel what that old man was feeling earlier today.

So I agree with the rest of you as to how nice the rest of the story is, and I suspect the old man's family members themselves would agree. I still don't think it hits the mark, but that's ok.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 15:54

Life must be miserable when you're always looking at the negative side of things. Ever been to a funeral where they all talk about how awful it is that the person passed, and how terrible it must have been towards the end? Nope. It's about celebrating life and talking about all the wonderful, positive times and the life someone had.

Same thing here. Nobody is going to post up telling the story that is "an old man's misery." Rather, we shed light on the situation and talk about all the positive things that came from this.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 16:01

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

From Lansdale
DGC,
Don't try to imagine my thoughts. They are mine and mine, alone. You do not know me personally. I have fished with Squatch and can assure you his thoughts are NOT about him or his newly-acquired equipment. He see's the passing of a passion for fishing as just that.
And he appreciates the weight of the newfound responsibility of that owning equipment.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 16:03

From NE OH
WOW! Andy, you just keep being who you are bro. Those of us that know you appreciate you!

Posted on: 2013/7/18 16:05

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Wow, that's deep. Thanks for the touching story.

I'd likely make an attempt to fish with him again, either bringing him here or you going to Florida.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 16:28

DGC,
I do not believe anyone here trying to minimize the suffering of the man or his misery. I believe he was trying to pass off what must have been one of the most important aspects of his life to Sasquatch, who the man believes will value the fishing tools in the proper way. I think that the man, though really distraught by his plight, is leaving his legacy in Sasquatch's hands, which is a serious responsibility for Sasquatch to accept. I think Sasq. has accepted it in the proper manner.

As one who is now 63 and who knows how long I'll be on the water (hopefully for a while), I have instructed my wife to pass my fly-fishing equipment, fly tying equipment, and books on to a couple of young guys in town who I think will value them. (My son doesn't fly fish, so he is to get my hunting stuff and other gear.) I believe these "young lions" will value and use my gear in the proper spirit.

Anyhow, I repeat: I don't believe anyone is trying to minimize the man's situation. Sasq. has noted that it is a bittersweet moment, obviously an important one in his fishing life, if not his entire life.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 16:30

From Portage, PA
This is a great thread IMO. It seems to me as a way to honor his life and days of fly fishing. I think it is respectful for Sas, to pay his respect to this man on a forum of PA fly fisherman, and let us know how much the older gentleman meant to him. The man stated that he gave his life away. This shows his true devotion to the sport.

Sas, could have easily kept this to himself, but chose to let others know the generosity of this man, and of his good natured character. I am sure he is devastated right now but will soon no that his gear, a very prized possession of his, will not gather dust any longer, and will soon be used on the stream catching trout and small mouth.

Every fish that is caught with that gear, while in the hands of Sas will bring up the memories and stories that he and Sas shared. The gear is not just reels, rods, and chest packs but a sign of their friendship, and I am sure Sas will put all of them to good use, and hold them dear to his heart.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 16:52

From harlansburg
great story Sas, glad you told it here. Your honoring him by using his stuff, he probably wouldn't have given it to you if he didn't think you would use and enjoy it, so use and enjoy it to the fullest.
to the naysayers, hey, we all go belly up eventually, and with any type of luck, we can all pass on our equipment to someone who will cherish it and use it when the time comes.
Sure beats finding out your family threw it in the dumpster or sold it at the yard sale.
your a good person Andy.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 16:58

From North East PA
Sas,

Thanks for sharing the story. Think of the gentleman every time you use a item he gave you. Tell the story again and again.

Dave

Posted on: 2013/7/18 17:20

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

From Ephrata, PA
Quote:

mike_richardson wrote:
Every fish that is caught with that gear, while in the hands of Sas will bring up the memories and stories that he and Sas shared. The gear is not just reels, rods, and chest packs but a sign of their friendship, and I am sure Sas will put all of them to good use, and hold them dear to his heart.

Bingo.

DGC, if I seemed selfish, irreverent, insensitive, I am sorry. That would be the opposite of my motives. I think you know that, you recognized that in your first post. I'm just tryin' the best I can to share something that moved me a bit, not cheapen the man's experience here at the end of his life.

The gear is nice and all, but it's just stuff. I saw it as a symbolic gesture, though. A "passing of the buck". He has no son to pass this onto, no one in his family cares about fly fishing. We've only met a hand full of times, yet it's our common experience of fly fishing that has bonded us. That's pretty freaking awesome.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 18:12

From Lehigh Valley
Andy,

That gentleman chose wisely when he decided to pass on his gear to you.

Every time you take it fishing, you'll be adding to his "life", and honoring him.

Sending him pictures with fish caught using it would be a wonderful way for him to still enjoy it. He gave you a gift, but you can repay him many times over by doing this. He now fishes vicariously through you.

Way to be, bro.

H.A.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 18:20

From Southeastern Pa
Great story, sad, but great.

I have found that an author often tells more than he knows when he writes.

in your case Sas, you have shown in your own way your utmost respect to this man by accepting his gift and request and also tipping your hat to a journey we are all on. At some point most of us will wake up one day and know that we made our final cast. sharing that with others who can truly appreciate that is not wrong. I will think of this man now for years and his gesture took the kind of strength most don't possess. God bless that man and may we all have the strength and courage to do the same if we ever get the chance. That is truly what it is all about. he did indeed give his life away, we should respect that and celebrate his life!

thank you for sharing, for me it was very un-selfish of you to share this story and I think that would be the point of this whole thing.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 18:26

From Landenberg, PA
nice story.

i have some of my grandads cane Richard Walker sweetwater rods - the old hexagonal type, and i know that one sad day soon i will inherit my dad's rods and reels (garcia, mitchell, Hardy, shakespeare..) and his vest and bag.

I don't look forward to that day, but afterwards i will treasure them whether i fish with them or keep them on a shelf to look at - and I hope that with no son myself or no chance of one, that one day I will find a young lad with a keen interest in fly fishing that I can pass my gear on to.

GB

Posted on: 2013/7/18 18:53

A huge responsibility to be sure and a great honor to be entrusted with some of the most prized possessions of someones life.
I believe that fly fishing gives us all on this forum life, a kind of zen like wonder that few things besides family can match. Do you think it might be good to keep sharing your experiences with him while he's still able to understand, and also assure him that his "life" is giving you "life" as well.
Would it be a good idea to have a special kid catch his first fish on one of these rods and tell the kid tales of where it came from and what it means? this fellow may appreciate that his life is giving life to a special youngster and that as such he will continue to live on the streams.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 18:53

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com