Bitterroot Valley, MT

mattd

mattd

I recently recieved a job offer in Hamilton,MT. I know there is plenty of big river trout fishing in the area but I'm not sure what kind of small stream fishing would be available. I don't mind fishing the larger streams but I can't live without the small stream fishing we have here in PA. Has anyone been in this area? It is about 40 miles south of missoula. I wouldn't be leaving till next spring, I have my first child due in Sept. and I don't want to move there during the winter months. If anyone could provide any personal experiances in the area that would help with my decision please let me know. I still have plenty of time to research but you really can't tell what its like until you see it for yourself. Thanks guys.
Matt

All I can say is, you lucky dog. I am sure any trickle of water you find out there will have trout in it.

I agree with Kweaver. I heard that there are only raging rivers out there, so I think you should reject that job offer. Now, could you tell me who that job is with? (Just kidding. I don't have an answer to your question, just a smart@ss response. Take the job! A river runs through it!)

Believe it or not it is my wife who is pushing me to take the job. She is just as crazy about trout as I am. The hardest thing would be leaving the native brookies behind. I guess cutthroats would be a good substitute though.The guy who offered me the position sent me these pics the other day. He actually fishes the lakes but I need moving water and according to him there is plenty of it. Best thing about MT is all waters are public. It may take alot of wading and some float trips but there is no private water. A dream come true.

Attachments

• stevefish1.JPG
    stevefish1.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 1
  • stevefish2.JPG
    stevefish2.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 3
  • dustonsfish.JPG
    dustonsfish.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 3
I've fished some of the bigger Rivers in the area.The Bitterroot, Clarks Fork and the Missouri. The trico hatch on the Missouri this time of year has to be seen to be believed! There are ton on tributaries to the Bitterroot to fish in the valley that hold fish. I fished one or two smaller ones, but I don't recall the names. Most/all of the tribs have wild fish.

Check this out on the Bitteroot Valley:

http://www.fishaus.montana.com/montana-fishing-updates.htm

You will be in the middle of some the the greatest trout fishing anywhere in the U.S..................you lucky dog. GO WEST YOUNG MAN!

Matt

If you were sitting next to me I'd slap ya upside the head for being stupid.

Accept the Job Today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been trying to get my wife to let us move to Colorado for 10 years. I figure 10 more years of asking I am there.

While I've only passed through the area, it's well within driving distance to some nice water. The winters can be difficult and I would check out the school systems. If the company is who I think it is, (pharmaceutical), they are supposed to be very good to work for.

Good Luck,
Rolf

It is actually a transportation job. I do operations for an owner operator company and it is one of my customers. Crazy thing is my pay would be twice what it is now and if I live between Hamilton and Missoula housing is actually a touch cheaper than where I am now. I guess it is a no brainer but I've never been west of PA and just dont know what to expect. If I didnt have a child on the way I would already be there. Ive seen pictures Im just trying to get some feedback from someone who has been there.
Bruno wrote.
Matt

If you were sitting next to me I'd slap ya upside the head for being stupid.

Dont worry, my younger brother already did it for ya. Then he said I have to take him with me.

Matt,

If Photobucket ever uncrashes, you can a see a small stream cutthroat my daughter is holding in my signature photo. Its from Cascade Creek in Yellowstone.

There are plenty of opportunities for small stream wild trout out there. There are even brookies, although they treat brookies like vermin out west and tend to throw them on the bank when caught.

One note of caution on the move. I don't know if you have good family support where you are now, but raising small children can be tough if you and your wife don't have a support system.

I lived in Bozeman,Mt. for 30 years.
Yes streams of all sizes but once you get into spawning browns[I once caught a 4,5,6,71/2 and my best a 91/2 in one hour on the Missouri]you will forget about the little streams,no matter what you think now.Streamer flys-
Just don't go with the idea that you are going to teach the barbarians how to use light rods.It doesn't work that way.Wind.
Thats pronounced with the root rhyming with foot.
Got to run-get back later if I can help.

I guess Ill need to buy a rod larger than 7 1/2 then. Albatross, that is my biggest concern at the time. I have plenty of family in this area and they are all willing to pitch in. If my child was older it wouldnt be a problem. I still have alot of thinking and planning to do but I really don't want to miss the oppurtunity of a lifetime.

Must be tough, being hated by so many!

You'll have the Bitterroot River and tribs., Rock Creek and tribs, a good small stream is Fish Creek west of Missoula, the upper Big Hole and tribs, The Blackfoot River (A River Runs Through It) the Lochsa River across Lolo Pass in Idaho, other steams in the Idaho panhandle such as Kelly, St. Joe, and many, many more. "Twill be an embarrassment of riches!

Matt,

Family considerations always come first. But, don’t worry about the fishing; the area is a virtual treasure trove for all kind of fabulous fly fishing opportunities in both big and small waters, for nearly every species of wild trout, and it’s all set in some of the most beautiful scenery anywhere!

Good luck with any decision you make.

mattd,

How about taking a week to just go out to where you'd be going and see how much you actually like the area yourself rather then from what others are telling you. Since the first-hand personal experience is the most important thing in whether you're going ot like it or not. Maybe the place you'd be working at would be willing to put you up out there if they thought it would better the chances of you working there.

Good luck with your decision!

I will go check it out before taking the job. I just want to make sure it will be worth going out there before i even decide to do that. I would hate to spend alot of money to go check out the area and decide its not right for me. Either way its a great excuse to get out there. I can't see any reason I wouldn't like MT but you never know. Some places are great to visit but not to live.

Mattd,

I'd urge you to drive. There's nothing like it to give you an appreciation of the country -- its breadth and diversity.

Turnpike to I 70; 70 to Indianapolis; I 465 around the south of Indy to the west side to pick up I 74 to the Quad Cities (to miss the mess that is Chicago) to I 80 to I 29 north of Council Bluffs, Iowa; I 29 north to Sioux Falls, SD, pickup I 90 and take it through to Missoula. Then US 93 south to Hamilton. You can make an easy stop at the Little Bighorn Battlefield south of Hardin, Montana. Nothing will prepare you for the glory of the intermountain west. And one of the biggest favors you're likely to do your newborn is to give him/her the gift of living in the magnificent American west -- after your love and your support, perhaps your greatest gift.

You will love it out there.Its awesome.I did not want to leave but my wife was losing her battle with cancer and I wanted to bring her home where family was.Sad to say she only made it for 3 months.
What they don't tell the tourist fisherman.The worst fishing is during summer tourist season.The best is during hunting and ski season so the rivers are yours.Mid Sept. til end of Oct. and Jan. and Feb..
The best fishing will always be when its the most comfortable for the fish...In the early fall thats Sundown to Sunrise.Fish all night and catch the big ones.Late Fall that changes to first light til an hour after sunrise.Winter from about 11 til 3.
Nov. and dec. generally too cold and blustery but Ja.,Feb. and early March you get Chinooks[warm winds]The water will be the most clear you will ever see a trout stream.Usually the fish will run 2pds and up as the smaller ones are more lethargic because they lack the body density.25 fish days are common in the winter.
Small streams and spring creeks are good during runoff.
The famous Salmon fly hatch good for out of staters.Usually muddy and more whitefish than trout.
No disrespect meant to anyone but we usually laughed at the ``oh wow '' articles written by and for fly fishermen that didn't realize they were getting excited but not much from a skilled locals point of view.lol
If you are a night fishermen you will be able to catch fish even on the Madison or Firehole during the dog days of August that the day timers would not believe were there after days of trying.

oops-Bighole-Firehole closed at night and over-rated as trout are weak compared to most streams.

cimmaronred, I don't fly so will definately be driving out. Im sure it will be a great trip. I was thinking about what it would be like to grow up in an area like that and if it is anything like I imagine it would be out of this world. If my boy is anything like me or his mom this would be one of the greatest gifts I could give him.

Pete, sorry to hear about your wife. Do you plan on moving back out there? Thanks for the info. I'm sure I will do just fine out there. I do love fishing the fall and winter for just those reasons.

Well, time to do some thinking and planning .I've got a few months but we all know how short of a time that actually is, especially with a newborn. If I make it out there and stay I will be sure to stay on this site. If anyone ever makes it out there you'll have a local to show you around.

afishinado,
Great website. Answered alot of questions for me. 5 different species of trout, large water fishing, and plenty of small tribs on one river. Enough to keep my son and i busy for years.

Back