Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Biomass Class

Didn't see a set in stone description for this anywhere on the PFBC site, but what does this entail? I would assume a biomass class of A would be better than that of B or C, but you know the saying, when you assume........

Posted on: 2007/6/19 12:46

Re: Biomass Class

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Dude,

The class A definitions vary by species of trout see Changes to List of Class A Wild Trout Waters

I don't recall seeing definitions for class B and C, but as you suggested the biomass of fish should be less.

Posted on: 2007/6/19 12:55

From Carlisle
I dont know the definition of a class B or C, but you can get an idea of what makes up an A vs. a B vs. a C by looking at the wilderness trout streams list.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/wild98.htm

The better the biomass the more trout are in the stream per acre. I don't always like to go by what they list as A, B, or C, though. I've come up with my own scale based upon what I see when I'm fishing and I've found several streams that I dont even see on the natural reproduction list that should easily be a Class A compared to some of the ones on that list.

Posted on: 2007/6/19 13:05

From Monessen, PA
Within the PFBC Management Plan (http://www.fish.state.pa.us/trman98.htm) it appears one might find the classifications defined thus:

Class A
1. Wild brook trout fisheries
a. Total brook trout biomass of at least 30 kg/ha (26.7 lbs/acre)
b. Total biomass of brook trout less than 15 cm (5.9 in.) total length of at least 0.1 kg/ha
c. Brook trout biomass must comprise at least 75% of total trout biomass

2. Wild brown trout fisheries a. Total brown trout biomass of at least 40 kg/ha (35.6 lbs/acre)
b. Total biomass of brown trout less than 15 cm (5.9 in.) total length of at least 0.1 kg/ha
c. Total brown trout biomass must comprise at least 75% of total trout biomass

3. Mixed wild brook/brown fisheries a. Combined brook and brown fisheries trout biomass of at least 40 kg/ha (35.6 lbs/acre)
b. Brook trout biomass must comprise less than 75% of total trout biomass
c. Brown trout biomass must comprise less than 75% of total trout biomass
d. Total biomass of brook trout less than 15 cm (5.9 in.) total length of at least 0.1 kg/ha
e. Total biomass of brown trout less than 15 cm (5.9 in.) total length of at least 0.1 kg/ha

4. Wild rainbow trout a. Total biomass of rainbow trout less than 15 cm (5.9 in.) total length of at least 2.0 kg/ha

Class B
a. Total brook trout biomass of at least 20 kg/ha (17.8 lbs/acre) and less than 30 kg/ha (26.7 lbs/ acre).
b. Total brown trout or brown and brook trout combined biomass of at least 20 kg/ha (17.8 lbs/ acre) and less than 40 kg/ha (35.6 lbs/acre).

Class C
Total Trout biomass of at least 10 kg/ha (8.9 lbs/ acre) and less than 20 kg/ha (17.8 lbs/acre).

Class D
Total trout biomass less than 10 kg/ha (8.9 lbs/ acre).

Posted on: 2007/6/19 13:15

From Carlisle
Kind of a follow up after looking at the wildnerness list myself it looks like anything under the numbers in albatross provided link to 20lb/acre is class B, anything between 20 and 10lb/acre is class C, and anything under 10lb/acre is class D.

I'm sure if you wanted a clearer definition you could contact a fisheries biologist for a detailed explanation. Haha, looks like Jack figured it out 45 seconds before i did.

Posted on: 2007/6/19 13:16

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com