Bill Hayes Anglers Pro Shop

GenCon

GenCon

I just found out Bill Hayes from the Anglers Pro Shop has passed away. Bill was only 5o yrs. old. I have known Bill since he first moved here from Canada. At one time we were best friends. Fished together in many places and several countries. We drifted apart a while back.
My sincere condolences to his family. For those of you who don't know Bill. The Anglers Pro Shop is in Souderton Pa. The shop was first owned by Herb Van Dyke. About 20 yrs. ago. Bill bought the store.

RIP Bill

GenCon

Bill was the first shop owner to give me advice and got me into tying. Rest in peace Bill.

He sold me my first fly rod. RIP, Bill.

This thread seems like it ought to be in General Forum. Is there a reason it needs to be in OT?

I agree, I will move it to the GF.

My condolences to all family and friends.

I know Surf Cowboy and Bill are very good friends.

I tied for herb then bill with Kenny Schramm.. we supplied quite a lot of flies to the shop. Bill was a great guy. He will be missed..

Grew up going to this shop and got my first fly rod there. Sad to see Bill go RIP

Bill guided a friend of mine and I through our first rod builds. RIP Bill.
Cause of death???

Bill, RIP.
Surprised by this news.. Bill worked out seemed healthy to me, just goes to show you never know just never know so take each day and be grateful for it

Obituary | Condolences | Gallery

William Patrick "Bill" Hayes Obituary

WILLIAM PATRICK 'BILL' HAYES William Patrick "Bill" Hayes, of Perkasie, PA, and formerly of Rexdale, Ontario, Canada, died suddenly on Wednesday, April 9, 2014. He was 50. He was the husband of Joanne E. (Deebel) Hayes. The couple would have celebrated their 2nd Wedding Anniversary on April 28, 2014. Born in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, he was the son of Patrick Hayes, of Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and the late Dian (Novakovich) Hayes. Bill was an avid and professional fly fisherman. He owned and operated the Angler's Pro Shop, Souderton, PA, for 20 years, having been an employee at the shop for 10 years prior. He was proud to have tied flies for former President Jimmy Carter and holds six World Records in fishing. Surviving with his wife are two daughters, Kayla Dion Hayes, of New York, NY and Ashley C. Stauffer, of California; two stepchildren, Madison T. and Sean C. Hendricks, both of Perkasie; and a sister, Kellie Hayes, of Brampton, Ontario, Canada. His Memorial Services will be held Tuesday, April 15, 2014, at 6:00 PM at the Bernard Suess Funeral Home, 606 Arch Street, Perkasie, where family and friends may call from 4:00 PM until the time of the service. Interment will be held at the convenience of the family. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that you donate or do something for the betterment of nature. Donate to a nature oriented cause or plant a tree or flowers in Bill's memory. www.suessfuneralhome.net

Published in The Reporter on Apr. 11, 2014
- See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/thereporteronline/obituary.aspx?n=william-patrick-hayes-bill&pid=170592327&fhid=9558#sthash.SPZq73vV.dpuf

Really sad news for a guy who was only 50.

I have visited that shop many times over the years and bought several rods from him. I did not know Bill that well since I only had brief conversations with him on my visits.

RIP Bill.

Bought an Edwards Quad from him in 1992. Time flies. May he rest in peace.

Chaz wrote:
Bill guided a friend of mine and I through our first rod builds. RIP Bill.
Cause of death???

I was told he had a heart attack. But I have nothing to back that up with.

GenCon

I was at the viewing/service last night. Packed house. We should all be so lucky as to have what had to be 100+ folks come to see us off. A bunch of guys like us (craven outdoorsmen and flyfishermen instructed and/or inspired by Bill) staggering around trying to wrap our heads around the situation, and of course his family.

For the record, he died of a massive heart attack. He had been experiencing excruciating pain from a chronic neck injury over the past year or so.

Bill was always the guy I called on for advice, fishing or otherwise. I could count on him to call for a general life update at least once a month. I've lost one of my closest friends, and we have all lost one of the world's great fishermen and one of the all time great dudes. Fishing-wise, it's as if the Library at Alexandria burned.

I'm supposing that God himself must have decided to do more offshore fly-fishing and thus decided to permanently retain the one to whom he gave the greatest talents.

There won't be any more like him, ever. Godspeed, bruddah.

oh my god. I had no idea. I was just in there last month chatting with him. He always seemed to be in good shape and was talking about going to the gym all the time. I bought my first fly reel from him and a good portion of my tying supplies when I first started. RIP.

My condolences to the departed.

For what it is worth, I noticed some cars parked at the AnglersPro shop last week so I stopped in. I found Bill’s wife there going over the books and she said she was going to try and keep the store open. She is a very nice lady with a lot of work in front of her so if you are in the area you may want to stop by and support the shop.
Tight lines,
Buffalo

Bill was a nice guy. Way back when (15-20 years ago), my Dad was just getting into fly fishing. He had this old rod that he wanted to get reguided. He probably should have just thrown it out but didnt know better. We took it to Bill, not only did he do the job for the old man, he lent him a really expensive Sage rod to use in the meantime, totally free of charge and not knowing the old man at all.

I thought that was pretty cool even though i was just a kid then

Sorry to hear this news. I've the pleasure of speaking on the phone and exchanging e-mails with him over the past few years. Great guy always willing to take time to talk. So young.

Back