Biggest trout

G

goodeyesniper

Our of curiosity what have you caught your biggest trout on with the fly rod? Some say big trout want to only spend energy for big meals but I have heard of big trout being caught on small sized flies. So what fly have you caught your biggest trout on?

7 pound brown trout with a size 14 black gnat

21" wild brown - hopper fly, at night.

Biggest Pa Trout- 26 in. on a walts worm size 12.

Biggest trout WNY Tribs 14.5 lb Brown size 10 blood dot.

Pota Anandromous {Lake Run}
Brown Trout 21 pounds on the swing with a special lil wet that crusehes em size 10.
Skamania Steelhead 17 pounds on a globug sized to match the hatch
Fall/Winter Run Steelhead 20 pounds Alaskabou on the swing
Chinook/King 33 pounds estaz egg
Coho/Silver 10 pounds estaz egg

Stream/River
Brown Trout 12 pounds a certain water that will remain nameless
Rainbow 18 inches of football on spring creek pheasant tail
Brook Trout 18 inches green drake dun pine creek looked wild and was caught by ex gf ghilled by me.
Landlock Salmon 5 pound hen on a Black ghost streamer swung
Moose River
Im still tryin to get a big brookie i love all brook trout they and golden trout are the prettiest trout in north america although brookies are really char,arctic char are also really pretty too bull trout are cool in their own way,
and if i ever get to macedonia id like to go after marble trout

I landed two 18" browns on the same water at different times of the same day--first on a bugger as the levels were going down from the previous night's rain, then on a sz 18 gnat when they started hatching.

Wild ,
love the avatar and congrats on your catch.

22inch rainbow, Silver Creek Idaho...on size 24 gray( hackle, tail and body only) dry fly tied in the car with vise attached to my steering wheel. Same day a 30 plus inch monster brown trout ate a 7 inch rainbow right off the end of my line. Only 2 hits I had that whole day.

Saying that big fish only spend energy for their meals is very untrue. I caught my biggest PA bow on a size 20 midge larva, and she weighed about 10 lbs. Big fish will eat small flies when they feel like it LOL

size 8 streamer
17" rainbow

22" stocked bow.... sz 14 caddis larva

19" wild brown, size 6 olive wooly bugger. Hard to believe that is the biggest fly anyone has said so far.

My two largest fish, other than Steelhead:

21" Holdover 'Bow - #14 Pink SJW
18" Wild Brown - #12 March Brown Wet

On an October day around 1990 on The Missouri river in Montana,I had my day to remember.
I caught in this order[true/gospel]
A 4 pound brown
5 pound brown
6 pound brown
7 1/2 rainbow[biggest bow]
9 pound brown[biggest brown]
and then the sun hit the water-it was over.I never caught the ten pounder that I hunted out there for 30 years.
I figure that put me in the top two dozen for that state for a one day catch sizewise[5 trophies] as 9 pounders are very rarely caught so I was only a little disappointed.lol
Caught on an olive wooly bugger size 2.

biggest 25" RB, Bugger, a few twenty or over on Spring and fishing creeks, all with terrestrial.

PaulG

A few years ago I got a 21" wild brown on Penns, in the afternoon on a sunny bright day, but fishing in a shaded area, using a sz 18 pheasant tail nymph.

18" wild brown tan scud

Biggest PA trout - 32 inch steelhead, Elk Creek. Glo-bug, white with orange dot.

Biggest non-great lakes fish - 28" rainbow. Henry's Fork Idaho - night crawler (lol, thats embarrassing)

Biggest non-great lakes PA trout - 23" palomino, Tionesta Creek, PA. Live minnow.

Biggest PA non-great lakes wild trout - 21" brown, Spring Creek, Centre County. Black Sculpin in high muddy conditions.

No doubt you can catch big fish on small flies. But if you're a big fish hunter and want to do it regularly (I'm not), then big flies are indeed the way to go. Fish streamers and such in high, somewhat muddy conditions, or at night.

24 inch brown on a big (don't know the exact hook size) double bunny, green river, wyoming

21 inch brown on sz. 22 RS2

Back