Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Big Spring Rainbows being killed

From Hunker
This morning I have came across a report that anglers are tossing the wild rainbows of Big Spring on the bank and leaving them to die to help the 2nd most abundant fish of big spring,the brook trout. I know it's an issue that's been around for a while, but this for me draws the line. I wanted to post this to inform anglers of this happening. I know a few have previously questioned my posts on proper fish handling, but these types of actions from anglers is why I do.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 10:40

Re: Big Spring Rainbows being killed

From Hanover
Can't agree with you more, if this is true it's untolerable.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 10:52

From Monessen, PA
I bet one goofball bragged about doing this and now it is seen as epidemic. I would support an effort to enhance brook trout dominance, but not by this method.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 11:04

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Lancaster Co.
Quote:

LetortAngler wrote:
This morning I have came across a report

Source? Anectdotal?

Posted on: 2013/9/30 11:12

From Hunker
Mike Hecks stream report

Posted on: 2013/9/30 11:16
"Ours is the grandest sport. It is an intriguing battle of wits between an angler and a trout; and in addition to appreciating the tradition and grace of the game, we play it in the magnificent out-of-doors."
~ Ernest G. Schwiebert, Jr.

From Hunker
I agree with mike in his report, like them or not, this should not be done..

Posted on: 2013/9/30 11:18
"Ours is the grandest sport. It is an intriguing battle of wits between an angler and a trout; and in addition to appreciating the tradition and grace of the game, we play it in the magnificent out-of-doors."
~ Ernest G. Schwiebert, Jr.

I doubt that this widespread. One individual, maybe?

Could you provide a link? I went to his website, saw a report on Big Spring, but did not see a mention of this.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 11:23

From SW PA (Pittsburgh Area)
Troutbert:

This is on Mike's Facebook:

Fishing Report on Big Spring: 09/27/13
It as Mike and myself on the water for most of the morning. This was Mike's third trip with me this year. We did anther 1/2 day finishing up around 1pm. We had the stream mostly to ourselves until I did a little stream tour and found three anglers at the ditch. One of them was a past guy I had giuded years ago, anther was his friend and then a very good skilled angler from the area. We all got to talking and found out that some fly anglers are noe tossing the small rainbows on the banks as they catch them. Like the rainbows of not that should not be done. That is a shame that someone is telling people do do this. Anyway, Mike and I had a real good morning. Mike was getting use to a short and soft rod still and he missed around seven. I too missed two with this rod. We ended up landing threee rainbows. It was a fine day once again with Mike.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 11:32

Quote:

DanVerona wrote:
Troutbert:

This is on Mike's Facebook:

Fishing Report on Big Spring: 09/27/13
It as Mike and myself on the water for most of the morning. This was Mike's third trip with me this year. We did anther 1/2 day finishing up around 1pm. We had the stream mostly to ourselves until I did a little stream tour and found three anglers at the ditch. One of them was a past guy I had giuded years ago, anther was his friend and then a very good skilled angler from the area. We all got to talking and found out that some fly anglers are noe tossing the small rainbows on the banks as they catch them. Like the rainbows of not that should not be done. That is a shame that someone is telling people do do this. Anyway, Mike and I had a real good morning. Mike was getting use to a short and soft rod still and he missed around seven. I too missed two with this rod. We ended up landing threee rainbows. It was a fine day once again with Mike.

Re: "That is a shame that someone is telling people do do this."

If someone is doing this, it's not safe to assume that someone else is telling him to do it.

It's more likely they decided to do that on their own.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 12:02

From Gettysburg
The local WCO should be notified.

However one feels about bows in BS, it isn't currently legal to kill 'em in the FFO section. The PFBC owns the property and can help keep an eye out.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 12:10

From SCPA
Just got a text from someone while I was working on my book. I'm not going into all the details -some still coming in. The PFBC is aware and they did a stakeout on the stream.

On a side note-seeing trout in the restored water already.
Mike

Posted on: 2013/9/30 12:20

From Hanover
Hope they nail them. I would imagine their activities would be considered harvesting.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 13:04

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
seems I hear this every couple years on one stream or another in the central pa area over the years, there was an incident with the ditch some years back.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 13:56

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Landenberg, PA
only way to combat it is throw brookies on the bank in equal numbers, or give them to the cat.

i'm kidding.

education through signs and displays plus a friendly visit from the wardens is the way to go.

very sad to hear. wild trout are wild trout, regardless whether they are natives or not.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 16:22

From Dallastown, PA
I would expect to see pictures before believing such an act is occurring. Surely in this day and age the witess had a camera or cel phone to snap a pic.

Heck even a pollution fish kill isn't investigated without evidence. Wheres tha feesch?

How many were killed?

Sounds a little lie chicken little to me.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 16:48

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com