Big Spring Rainbows being killed

LetortAngler

LetortAngler

This morning I have came across a report that anglers are tossing the wild rainbows of Big Spring on the bank and leaving them to die to help the 2nd most abundant fish of big spring,the brook trout. I know it's an issue that's been around for a while, but this for me draws the line. I wanted to post this to inform anglers of this happening. I know a few have previously questioned my posts on proper fish handling, but these types of actions from anglers is why I do.

Can't agree with you more, if this is true it's untolerable.

I bet one goofball bragged about doing this and now it is seen as epidemic. I would support an effort to enhance brook trout dominance, but not by this method.

LetortAngler wrote:
This morning I have came across a report

Source? Anectdotal?

Mike Hecks stream report

I agree with mike in his report, like them or not, this should not be done..

I doubt that this widespread. One individual, maybe?

Could you provide a link? I went to his website, saw a report on Big Spring, but did not see a mention of this.

Troutbert:

This is on Mike's Facebook:

Fishing Report on Big Spring: 09/27/13
It as Mike and myself on the water for most of the morning. This was Mike's third trip with me this year. We did anther 1/2 day finishing up around 1pm. We had the stream mostly to ourselves until I did a little stream tour and found three anglers at the ditch. One of them was a past guy I had giuded years ago, anther was his friend and then a very good skilled angler from the area. We all got to talking and found out that some fly anglers are noe tossing the small rainbows on the banks as they catch them. Like the rainbows of not that should not be done. That is a shame that someone is telling people do do this. Anyway, Mike and I had a real good morning. Mike was getting use to a short and soft rod still and he missed around seven. I too missed two with this rod. We ended up landing threee rainbows. It was a fine day once again with Mike.

DanVerona wrote:
Troutbert:

This is on Mike's Facebook:

Fishing Report on Big Spring: 09/27/13
It as Mike and myself on the water for most of the morning. This was Mike's third trip with me this year. We did anther 1/2 day finishing up around 1pm. We had the stream mostly to ourselves until I did a little stream tour and found three anglers at the ditch. One of them was a past guy I had giuded years ago, anther was his friend and then a very good skilled angler from the area. We all got to talking and found out that some fly anglers are noe tossing the small rainbows on the banks as they catch them. Like the rainbows of not that should not be done. That is a shame that someone is telling people do do this. Anyway, Mike and I had a real good morning. Mike was getting use to a short and soft rod still and he missed around seven. I too missed two with this rod. We ended up landing threee rainbows. It was a fine day once again with Mike.

Re: "That is a shame that someone is telling people do do this."

If someone is doing this, it's not safe to assume that someone else is telling him to do it.

It's more likely they decided to do that on their own.

The local WCO should be notified.

However one feels about bows in BS, it isn't currently legal to kill 'em in the FFO section. The PFBC owns the property and can help keep an eye out.

Just got a text from someone while I was working on my book. I'm not going into all the details -some still coming in. The PFBC is aware and they did a stakeout on the stream.

On a side note-seeing trout in the restored water already.
Mike

Hope they nail them. I would imagine their activities would be considered harvesting.

seems I hear this every couple years on one stream or another in the central pa area over the years, there was an incident with the ditch some years back.

only way to combat it is throw brookies on the bank in equal numbers, or give them to the cat.

i'm kidding.

education through signs and displays plus a friendly visit from the wardens is the way to go.

very sad to hear. wild trout are wild trout, regardless whether they are natives or not.

I would expect to see pictures before believing such an act is occurring. Surely in this day and age the witess had a camera or cel phone to snap a pic.

Heck even a pollution fish kill isn't investigated without evidence. Wheres tha feesch?

How many were killed?

Sounds a little lie chicken little to me.

Well said geebee, when I first heard of the proposal to somehow wipe the stream of the rainbows, I thought it was a joke.. And to think that a few anglers today would decimate one of the best natural reproducing rainbow streams in the east, not to mention some of the biggest and fattest healthiest fish I've ever seen!!! I say let the stream decide and run its course, it's only just starting to heal from the hatchery back in 2001, why does man have to tamper with it again so soon?

LetortAngler wrote:
Well said geebee, when I first heard of the proposal to somehow wipe the stream of the rainbows, I thought it was a joke.. And to think that a few anglers today would decimate one of the best natural reproducing rainbow streams in the east, not to mention some of the biggest and fattest healthiest fish I've ever seen!!! I say let the stream decide and run its course, it's only just starting to heal from the hatchery back in 2001, why does man have to tamper with it again so soon?

You're assuming that there actually is such a plot.

Is this a catch and release only stream?

I think its a shame more people don't care that much about the natives. Return on investment and making the conservationist posers happy are more important than maintaining the fishery. It's pretty pathetic how many once great native brook trout streams and rivers in the east are now being managed by state programs for browns and rainbows simply because they grow bigger, are easier to sustain, and generate more income. The upper end of big spring is one of few places that would fit the wbte program well.

Tight lines

Back