Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Big Spring Biologists Report
From Monessen, PA
PFBC just posted the report of survey on Big Spring. I can't draw any conclusions other than that they are wasting a lot of fingerlings. Anyone read anything interesting in the results?

Here's a link: Big Spring Electroshock Survey Report 2006

Posted on: 2006/9/26 15:47

Re: Big Spring Biologists Report

From Harrisburg
Dear Jack,

I don't know what conclusions to draw from the survey either.

I did fish Big Spring for a bit this past Saturday afternoon and can say that my creel survey mirrors the electro-shocking results.

I caught primarily wild rainbow trout including one that I consider a nice fish for that creek. I caught one brook trout that was below legal size and all the other trout were cookie cutter rainbows of 7 to 10 inches with the exception of one 16 inch fish. It was quite a shock to have a fish that size launch itself out of a 12 inch deep riffle.

While retrieving a snagged fly I managed to spook a much larger trout but I have no idea what specie it was.

I don't know where the brook trout are, but there is no shortage of wild rainbow trout in the creek. Brown trout were also suspiciously absent during my creel survey. I fished a total of about 100 to 150 yards of stream so I didn't extensively sample the waters. I stuck to "trouty" looking spots and stayed away from the slow cress filled muskrat holes that are so common on this creek.

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2006/9/26 18:12

From lancaster county
now i fished big spring back in august. my creel findings were all rainbow trout, but i did see one nice 15 inch brown and a 8 inch brookie that kept attacking my fly but i never hooked. i does seem that rainbow trout and primarly wild ones are dominating the stream. something that is good and bad. its a shame to see our world famous brook trout fishery dominated by rainbows, but at least there are wild fish in the stream!

Posted on: 2006/9/26 19:19

It is a Class A Stream at least down to the old fish barrier, below that it may be a Class A Rainbow fishery. In any case they are still wasting fingerlings by putting them in there. And why are there C & R regulations on the stream so that the populations of trout fully recover.

Posted on: 2006/9/26 19:38

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com