Big Fish Little Flies

G

grobe33

I had a run in with two BIG fish this past weekend. I caught them both on a #16 Sulphur Pattern. I know most guides/professionals seem to think chucking huge flies is your best chance at running into these fish but in recent years I feel your just as likely to catch a big fish with little flies. Am I crazy or do small flies catch 20+ inch fish just as regular as 2 inch streamers?

www.grobe33.blogspot.com

I don't think guys that chuck huge streamers believe it's the only way to catch BIG fish. We see BIG fish caught on small flies all of the time. Big streamers select for a specific kind of fish. They select for aggressive fish. So, when you swing big streamers or strip big streamers, you don't catch often, but you do catch aggressive (and usually BIG). They select for rod shaking fun. I love the take of an huge brown on a stripped articulated streamer. I love the hit of an aggressive steelhead on a big streamer. The ride is incredible. I think the real issue is the elitist attitude of those hung up on that fishing method. We need to do a better job of agreeing that the thrill is in the hunt...no matter how we do it. And if other guys do it different, it's ok.

A lot of it depends on the stream, the time, and the conditions. Fact is, it's a total waste of my time to chuck big streamers in the middle of the day in the low and clear. Evening hatches probably do fish best at those times. You are absolutely NOT crazy. I applaud your ability to land the BIG boys on a small dry.

I watched a buddy land a BIG brown just shy of 20" last week on a dry fly and it was pretty sweet. At the same time, he thought it was pretty interesting how many fish I moved and caught on streamers.

I say we do a better job of learning from and supporting one another rather than feeling our chosen method is superior. I don't think my big streamers are superior, but they sure are a riot. That being said, I get board with my big streamers and their lack of production and revert back to dead drifting, high-stick nymphing, and dries all the time because they are more productive and I need to feel a tug on the end of my line more than I need to say I caught something of one of my monster streamers.

grobe33 wrote:
I had a run in with two BIG fish this past weekend. I caught them both on a #16 Sulphur Pattern. I know most guides/professionals seem to think chucking huge flies is your best chance at running into these fish but in recent years I feel your just as likely to catch a big fish with little flies. Am I crazy or do small flies catch 20+ inch fish just as regular as 2 inch streamers?

www.grobe33.blogspot.com

When size 16 sulphers are a hatchin'....big fish you be a catchin'

As a VERY GENERAL RULE, big flies like streamers often catch bigger fish on average, but during a good hatch, some big fish may show themselves and feed on top.

I've caught 24" fish on a size 24 fly and have caught 4" fish on a size 4 fly....and everywhere in between.

There are no magic flies, whether it be size, form or color; but there may be the best fly choice for a certain hatch or fish. Even given that, often many different flies may work on a given day, hatch, or fish.

If egg patterns count then small= big,at times. Just remember the small hooks go in deeper,but pull out easier. GG

afishinado wrote:
There are no magic flies, whether it be size, form or color; but there may be the best fly choice for a certain hatch or fish. Even given that, often many different flies may work on a given day, hatch, or fish.

That right there is why he is an Afishinado. Good stuff!

2 inch streamer is a little fly.
when the paradise was in its prime it was down right terrifying the size of some of the fish that would take 22s wet or dry.
I had one worn out old breeder that was a least six or seven pounds come up and take a 28 letort ant on 8x which was 3/8 pd test wet in those days.Short fight,long memory.

A very recent example of a large fish eating a relatively small fly is Aaron Jasper's recent catch of a brown that looks to be about 10 pounds in New Jersey. According to his account, he could feel smaller fish in it's stomach, and he caught the fish on a number 16 frenchie. Pics are on troutpredator.com . I understand it's a competing site, but fish is a beast from Jersey. Looks kinda wild.

One of the most wonderful traits of trout is that they eat small insects at huge sizes. If you swing the tricos get some good fluoros........

Since when is size 16 considered small? Especially in these here parts.

To me, size 14-16 is the "typical" size for most flies. I have more 14s and 16s in my box than anything.

my theory has always been that if you're casting to a large rising trout and it's not taking what you're trying to feed it you need to go smaller. most of the20 inch trout I've caught have been on size 20 or smaller flies

Too me - small flys are #20 and down.
And there are many factors in play as to how much they will bring large fish to the surface.
Generally, I think it takes a pretty heavy hatch of small flies to get a large fish to surface feed.
Also, I think that the water flow rate, and clarity - comes into play too.
I've seen fish fish rise in brown water for green drakes and sulphers.
But have never seen them taking midges and small BWO's under those conditions.
So - as is usually the case in flyfishing - it all depends.

Just yesterday I stepped into a hole that another fisherman just left. I talked to him as he was leaving and he told me he caught one and that they were rising but he couldn't get them. I stood and watched for a minute and noticed that I couldn't see what they were taking. I went to my go-to midge the griffiths gnat size #20. Sure enough on my third cast I had a nice brown on the line.

I love fishing small flies when they're productive. I've also caught some of my biggest fish on midge nymphs.

That said, I'll throw whatever it takes to catch fish. Big or small.

Back