Big Brookie

mute

mute

I remember some thread about big brookies in pa, well i just came across this pic, quite a magnificent fish.

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1365172&gonew=1#UNREAD

Now that you mention it, dont see where i got brookie from. Guess it was just the first thought into my mind when i think of the bright orange underbelly like that. Now that im paying attention you cant miss the obvious vermiculations covering its whole back. Oh Well.

not if you google up tiger trout-
never saw one myself
show us a spawner Mr.T to make your point.
The splotches don't seem to be as big.
my apologies Tom-lol

Pete, you are quite an interesting poster, it seems your posts are always worded into some type of riddle?

Wow, that is a pretty fish. I thought it looked like a tiger trout too. It would be interesting to hear more about it, like if it was a stocked fish or not. From what I've heard, wild tiger trout usually don't grow much bigger than a typically small stream brookie. I generally think of stocked trout to be less colorful than wild ones, but that's just because of the junk that is fed to our state-stocked fish. Different diet can produce more vivid colors, both of flesh and skin. Heck of a fish though, either way.

You replied to Tom while I was checking out google
I had egg on my face for being a doubter of Thomas.
I had never heard of a tiger trout-lol

Or you could just read the second post on the link he gave and see where the guy says..."nice Tiger" :lol:

Actually I've seen that pic before. Its from 2007.

He musta been ahead of the license game then lol

I think thats a brook. I have caught a tiger and while a game officer was checking my lisence he confirmed it.

my question is that if tiger trout are steril then why is he in breeding colors?

This is an old pic and its even been discussed on here before. That's why I responded so quickly. I already had the answers to the test.

my question is that if tiger trout are steril then why is he in breeding colors?

just cause he's shootin' blanks doesn't mean he can't get him some... ;-)

Like this one...

Attachments

• IMG_1974-1-Tiger_Trout-640-W.jpg
    IMG_1974-1-Tiger_Trout-640-W.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 3
You know what...while I still say its a tiger trout...It is not the pic I thought it was :oops: :-o :oops: :-o

Look at the guys license. it says "09". Oh well.

Yeah, definitely a tiger. Beautiful fish.

nice fish..

I know the guys on that board are calling it a tiger, but it sure doesn't look anything like a tiger to me. It's got a red belly for crying out loud, I've always seen tigers with a gold or butter colored belly. The vermiculations look like that of a brookie not a tiger.

Chaz, i thought it was a brookie at first too. But when i look close at the back of the fish i see alot of worm like connected vermiculations. Also about the fire orange belly, i think thats just because its been in the stream for a while and its in its spawning colors? Check out this brown.

1zyvktt.jpg

After further comparison below i think ill just stand with tiger trout based on the vermiculations on its back. Anyone else have any insight?

Definite Tiger
ColorfulTiger.jpg

Definite brookie
IMGP2861-363x489.jpg

It is without a doubt in my mind, a tiger.

A tiger is a cross between a brookie and a brown, so it will have characteristics of both. Yes they are sterille and will not produce offspring, but I've seen other pictures of tigers all colored up (I believe there's one on this site in the picture section). If you look at the bottom of the fish it screams brookie, but the top is all Tiger. It is not spotted, but has vermiculations like a tiger trout, thus it is a tiger trout.

Edit:

here's the tiger caught by spectorfly here on the site a while back.

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=607

While trout coloration and morphology vary - a virtual fool-proof way to distinguish tigers from brookies is to look for the tiny red spots on the fish's flank. All brookies have this: tiny red spots that are surrounded by a halo. These halos are usually light blue but can vary from purple to almost white. Inside these blue halos is usually (but not always) an orange halo which in turn has the bright red dot inside it. But the red dots are ALWAYS present on brook trout. Tiger trout do not have these red dots. As for the vermiculations, both tigers and brookies have 'em but they are usually more noticeable on tigers because most tigers we see are large hatchery fish and the vemiculations are larger and extend further down onto the fish's flank. On small brookies these vermiculations often show up only as oblong olive spots across the fish's back. Scroll up and look at the photos again - the brookie the fellow is holding clearly has the red dots with blue halos. The tiger trout doesn't have these.

Back