Better Duck

O

outsider

While playing a fishing on a small stream today, three Mallard Drakes flew right in front of me and one hit my rod tip and caught my line. My reel started screaming as I watched him flying away with my line. Fortunately it disconnected before any damage was done to my 6 1/2 3 weight rod or the line. Could have ended a lot worse than losing the fish and my fly.

could have ended with roast duck!

That was once in a lifetime, I mean really how many times will something like that happen?

When I was a kid, I hooked a bat mid-air while fishing on Loch Alsh Resivoir in Ambler PA. I even tried to remove the hook (bad idea) before I cut the line.

I was fishing Slough Creek last year in September. Some green drakes were popping and I had put a high floating size 10 drake on and casting to a nice riser. The hole was on a bend in the creek and the riffle feeding it was around the bend so I didn't have a clear view upstream. Made a really nice presentation and was about 4 or 5 feet above the rising trout when around the bend came 4 Mergansers swimming to beat the band and keying directly on my fly. Well one got the fly before I could sink it of get it out of their sight......it took flight and before I knew it was into my backing and trying to run downstream to recover at the least my Wulff's Triangle Taper. The Merganser finally settled into a hole below me and I got enough of the fly line back on the reel to give it a healthy yank......Just about flipped the Merganser over when the tippet finally broke........could still see the green drake hanging from his lower bill as he hurried off downstream.

I saw a similar thing on Walnut creek a few years ago. An Asian fellow hooked a duck with a fly rod, and you could hear the reel screaming as the duck flew away! Once the line and backing were off the reel, the backing broke, or came untied, and the guy just stood there with an empty reel and the most priceless expression on his face! Now, I hate to see an animal injured, or anything like that, but probably on of the funniest things I've ever seen happen!

Back