Best Hikes to Streams

CLSports

CLSports

Sometimes, to me, the most rewarding and memorable fishing days are those that require a several mile hike to reach a remote section of a stream away from the crowd. The adventure always seems much more satisfying and rewarding, even if you only catch a few small fish, then fishing an easily accessed stream.

Obviously, I am not asking anyone to give away any secret locations here, but I wanted to see what sort of adventurous stream destined hikes you may have taken over the years.

Some of my more memorable ones were in Yellowstone NP to Slough Creek and in WV to Seneca Creek. Closer to home I would have to say Hickory Run SP in the Poconos or Rattling Run in Schuylkill County.

I never did much hiking, but a couple options jump to mind.

The AT from the MD border to Swatara SP crosses a number of streams. Among them; Yellow Breeches, Connodoguinnet, Susquehanna, Clarks Creek, Stony Creek & the Swattie. There are also three wild trout streams in Swatara SP.

The Loyalsock Trail crosses too many little brookie streams to list. I'm not saying they are the best streams ever or that you cross them at the best places, but there are a number of them.

I can't remember ever hiking more that a mile or 2 into a remote stream.
But I have biked into some great spots on pine and oil creeks, and the youghiogheny river.
And I agree that there is something a little special about getting into a remote area like that. And great excercise to boot.

Tomorrow at 7:00 AM a handful of folks will be getting remote by raft here:

I don't think I've ever had to hike in more than 2 or 3 miles to get a body of water in PA.

Out of state I've hiked 5 miles in Vermont to get to streams and last month I took 3 different hikes between 3 and 6 miles one way in Baxter State Park in Maine.

Back