HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Re: Best Fly Fishing Town in Pennsylvania

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:

Don;t get me wrong, if you can point me in the direction of a good reuben paired with a micro brew within walking in waders distance from a good trout stream I'm all over that but it seems you have another message you are reluctant to just let out.

I might be able to help with that, but I don't know where you live. By the way, this would be an interesting thread by itself.

I haven't tried their reuben sandwitch yet, but the Neshannock Inn has a great raspberry cobler. I'd go there just for the cobler, and fish if I had time. (before being diagnosed with type 2) great service, too.

The food was good too, but I only remember the cobler (topped with a scoop). Alas, I can't eat that kind of stuff anymore, which is probably why I remember it being so good.

Don't remember if they serve beer.

Anyway, it is walking distance to the Orvis shop and the creek. the last time I was there, a woman had lunch in her waders. Personally I prefer a doggie bag.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 7:54

What is PAFF mission statement?

What conservation plans does PAFF have?

Posted on: 2009/6/19 7:55

Quote:

MKern wrote:
Dave,

Now I'm hurt......I'm a phys. ed. teacher.

Sorry.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 7:56

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:

I might be able to help with that, but I don't know where you live. By the way, this would be an interesting thread by itself.

location is irrelevant as I would travel for a good Reuben and a micro brew.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 9:12

Best Reuben I ever had in my whole life ... and by far ... was in a little deli in Shadyside (Pittsburgh). However, that was 26 years ago. I’m pretty sure it was right on Walnut street. Man, you guys are giving the memory cells a workout today. I think the place had a greek sounding name that began with an A, but I can’t find anything on it on the net. No, I am not making that up. Sorry.

Can’t really help you on the microbrew. I'm not an expert on that. Best one I had was in North Carolina and i can't remember the name. But I made it a mission to find a good Reuben while I lived in North Carolina. For a year and a half I tried and failed. There idea of a deli down there is a shelf full of fatback. Carolina style BBQ isn't even that good. Mustard and Vinager based. I went to a place that was famous for it in Columbia, SC. I had to try the Caarolina style. It sucked. It didn't even look good. It looked like the sauce came out of a diaper. You know the color. I had a Ford Pinto that color once. I called it baby poop yellow (the sensored version). you won't find that one in your Crayons.

I’ll keep my eyes out for a good Rueben. i'll have to think abou it for awhile. But I'm betting Shadyside or Squirrel Hill would have good ones. I just haven't been there in awhile. Cleveland area has some good ones.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 11:42

Well your in luck-One of the best Deli's in the universe 2Js
Oddly enough they have one in Vero Beach where we were last week-should have eaten there.
Lake Mary Florida has one -awesome Ruebens-and other sandwiches.The cops all eat there-Florida cops are fat-lol
Georgia has some really great bbq-one of my hobbies finding good barbecue.
Not big on S.Carolina style either but best place in country to live might be in the area around Clemson.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 11:58

From Greensburg, PA
Shadyside mkt. had one...pretty good. Not stellar. Used to eat lunch out a lot when I did news and probably had every reuben in town. But now that I think about it...Reubens I can make at home and I have complete portion control and pick of ingredients.

Fat Franks at the bottom of the US Steel blg has the closest thing to a real cheese steak in Pittsburgh though.

Vero beach..yeah, I'll be right there.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 12:26

Tom, the place I was talking about was down another block or so, but I think it was on the same side of Walnut (south side of road). It may have been just around the corner on a side street though. Bellefonette Ave? It was a long time ago. I did a search on Shadyside Restaurants, and apparently it isn't there anymore.

Apollodorous or something like that. Like I said, the last time I ate there was 83. A single order with fries was enough for 2 and it was quite good. Cheap, too. something else that I'm sure made it taste better being I was a senior in college at the time.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 12:53

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:

Apollodorous or something like that. Like I said, the last time I ate there was 83. A single order with fries was enough for 2 and it was quite good. Cheap, too. something else that I'm sure made it taste better being I was a senior in college at the time.

You had to go up some stairs and it was in a brick place with multiple businesses in there? It was a side street from walnut...funky wooden chairs?

lets see if this works..this is the place I think you are thinking of...

View Larger Map

Posted on: 2009/6/19 13:29

Based on your description, that sounds right. I do remember some of those details now. definitely the stairs and brick.

I lived in Shadyside my last year of college and parked cars at a lot on walnut some evenings for extra money. The Lebonese guy who rented the lot was a friend of mine from school, and he turned me on to that reuban ... and cheese cake.

Did I have the name right?

That was a long time ago.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 14:08

From Greensburg, PA
It was the name that made me remember...if that's not it it was similar. I ate there a couple times too but I do not think I had a Reuben there.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 14:16

Webmaster
Tom, I like the Google Street View map. Very cool.

Wetnet no insults taken. This is an open board and community. We all have a voice. I have found that we all have a lot of wonderful views and many of them different. That is what makes this place so much fun. It would be a pretty dull place if we all agreed on C&R, Spin Fishing, Stocking and fishing clubs. The goods news is we don't all agree. More importantly the healthy dialog is productive and informative.

That is a good lead into to the mission of the site. The site guidelines and policy begins with: "This website is here to help foster a shared interest in expanding our knowledge, experience and most importantly our enjoyment for fly fishing in Pennsylvania."

As for me I admire and learn much from everyone. We all have a lot to offer in different ways on the site.

Thank you all for sharing!

Posted on: 2009/6/19 15:03

From Altoona, PA
Wow, that was a flashback. I had assumed that the google street view was of Bellefonte. I was clicking around a while and suddenly I said to myself, this looks a lot like Shadyside in Pgh. Well... guess what?

Posted on: 2009/6/19 17:45

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com