Best Flies for Late winter early spring

P

PATroutMan

Can someone help me which flies to use for times around march to april and may? A list of around 10-20 flies would be very helpful. I live in southcentral pa, I have conewago, codorus, yellow breeches, letort ect.

Here an article about a few flies you can get started with:

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=339

On the Home page there is a link called: "Fly-fishing Getting Started" which has a lot of useful info to get you headed in a right direction.

Good luck.

My favorite fly to fish this time of year is the woolly bigger in a size 8 but I tie them in 6-10. Go to is black with an olive tail but I'll use an array of colors. If I'm fishing nymphs I will usually use a rs2 in bwo dropped off of a pheasant tail or hares ear sizes 14-16. Any generic mayfly nymph is good. Experiment with nymphs and colors, sometimes they can't pass up a certain color. Midges also work well like a zebra or biot midge. I'll sometimes throw an egg pattern or a stonefly nymph just so see what happens!

It's also good to have some caddis or bwo dries with you in case of a sporadic dry fly hatch. Also, have a few green and pink weenies with you just in case. Like I said before, don't be afraid to experiment. Good luck and tight lines!!!!

here is what works for me:

1. wooly buggers size 10 - 8 in black,olive and white
2. hares ear nymph size 16-12
3. flashback mymphs olive and brown size 16-14
4. disco midge black ribbed with gold is my best one size 18-14
5. streamers dark top, flashy middle, and white belly size 10-8
6. egg patterns clown or solid in cheese,orange or red.

fish the nymphs and eggs with an indicator, swing the streamers and you should have what you need although some streams have their go to fly. I hope this helped you out.

Back