Becoming a better conservationist

P

PSUturf91

I apologize to anyone that I offended with my last post (which has been removed.)

I am relatively new to fly fishing (less than 2 years) and I'm still learning. I came to this forum to aquire tips on becoming a better fisherman, but also a better conservationist. I love the sport, and care about the well being of the fisheries just as much as the next guy, but sometimes ignorance prevails. We all started somewhere, and no one knows everything day one. I always do my best to do what I think is right, but just like everyone else, I often times make mistakes.

If I ever make a post, and a mistake that I have made is evident, please do point it out to me! I want to learn! However, please do not come at me with brash assumption and sarcasm. This does nothing for either party (except make me not like you). Instead, please inform me with facts to help make not only me better but the sport as a whole.

Thanks!

PSUturf,
Please check your PM.
Dave W

I'm unfamiliar with the post in question, but welcome aboard.

I missed the previous thread too... Welcome to PA fly fish! My advice is to keep an open mind and stick around. 90% of what I learned about fly fishing came from this site. People I've met here have become good friends. It's more than just a message board. It's a community.

PSUturf91,

Excellent attitude. There is much to learn and the process is never ending. Admitting, even if only to one's self, that there is more to learn is the right path.

There are those in any cohort that act as if the way to change hearts and minds is to beat someone's brains in (metaphorically). If you can let the negativity roll off you and glean the knowledge that's hidden under the vitriol, you will benefit.

I've been somewhat obsessively fly fishing for 35 years and I still learn constantly. For me, it's one of the great attractions to this pastime.

Enjoy the process!

I don't know the details of the post but it doesn't matter. Your sincerity is something refreshing to hear on this forum. Good for you.

Everyone does the best they can. Show me the guy who says he has never killed a fish and I'll know he is lying. If you really don't want to EVER harm a living creature then fishing is not for you.

Hey guys,

I appreciate the positive input and sentiment! Certainly is a nice change of pace!

PSU,

Don't sweat it. We all start somewhere, and whether we admit it or not, we are all always continually learning. Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about the negative posters, there are some weird, ignorant people on here for sure, but the vast majority are great people.

Welcome, a visit to your local TU chapter can help you on your way to becoming an informed conservationist. What region of PA are you in?

Back