Bears

O

outsider

Just be cognizant that bears are recently out of hibernation and they are looking for food anywhere. Don't think that black bears won't attack humans. Yes, the numbers are small but it does happen. Recently a woman was attacked in her garage in Florida and last year a girl was attacked in Michigan.

Last year at this time we had 6 different bears at our cabin in one afternoon, and one real problem bear tried her best to get in our front door. She was a lost soul with mange on her body and head. And her eyes were glazed over from scratching her head. When they have mange on 50 percent of their body or greater, they can lose their sense and sensibility.

When she leaned on the door, I was leaning on the door inside peering through the window. We were face to face for 5 or 10 seconds, and our eyes were about 8 or 10 inches apart, while my wife screamed "get the gun! get the gun!'. So I shot my shotgun out the front window, and she took off. But she came back 3 more times until I blocked the door from the outside with a heavy picnic table.

And last year some fisherman parked a pickup truck along Hammersley Creek and had a cooler in the bed of their truck which was covered. A bear ripped off the cover of and destroyed everything in the bed of their truck. Their trip was ruined.

We have constant problems with nuisance bears. And they are sooo silent, like ghosts in the woods. How many times I looked up and there was a bear within 10 ft of me. They hunt primarily by scent. And the worst situation is a sow with cubs. I experienced a charge by a sow, and it was unnerving.

So what can you do?

1) make noise, announce your presence
2) try not to have the scent of food on you; you won't get between them and food if they want it
3) do not alarm a sow with cubs
4) do not maintain eye contact (animals do not like this)
5) do not run when threatened
6) you can carry a spray bottle with ammonia to deter them or wasp spray that shoots a stream
7) They typically don't like loud noises. I carry a handgun to give a warning shot; they usually run
8) don't think a handgun will protect you from a charging bear unless you are Clint Eastwood.

9. Learn a form of martial arts for close combat situations.
10. Always remember bears dont want to "snuggle" in your fresh laundry
11. Never carry a picnic basket with you in bear country.
12. Always put out your campfires before you leave camp. Smoldering ash can really anger a one certain bear.
:)

In all seriousness though, there have been times when a bear has climbed down the bank or snuck up on me without them knowing I was there. In certain streams back home (Indiana PA) we would walk the stream singing a song loudly to let our presence be known.

Thanks for bringing this up outsider!

outsider wrote:
... until I blocked the door from the outside with a heavy picnic table

Ha ha ha, good one.

There is NO way a bear knows how defend against Muay Thai. Grab the back of its head and start bringing the knees. Watch fox Saturday..... Donald Cerrone will show the proper technique.

"Drop to one knee and Bam! right in the chode-- that'll drop him."

Haha in the chode. I heard somewhere that you should stand up to ablack bear and act like the baddest guy on the block. Dont play dead cause they are scavengers. Is this right?

13. If all else fails, hit the bear in the face with a handful of crap.

...Just reach back, it will be there.

J55tyger88 wrote:
I heard somewhere that you should stand up to ablack bear and act like the baddest guy on the block. Dont play dead cause they are scavengers. Is this right?

There is some truth to that. Yell and scream at the bear making one's self look as big as possible. Problem is, it doesn't always work and if there are cubs involved, it could go the other way.

I've never had a problem with a bear, but I did use the above technique on a German Shepard that was charging me. It actually worked. I was just a kid delivering news papers at the time, but I was a big kid. It's the closest I ever came to the last resort mentioned in the previous.

I once had someone tell me that you wrestle them if they attack.

So I asked... do I have to pin them for 3 seconds, then they give up?

Or you could recognize that bears associate humans with food and both scenarios you describe (cabins and campers) have that food. It's certainly worth mentioning to be aware that wild animals that are conditioned to associate food with humans are now on the move again, but there's no need to fear monger about bears killing people.

Just curious - do you have any bird feeders (seed or sugar water) out at your cabin? Do you feed corn to the deer? Or feed the bear leftover food scraps? Or do your neighbor cabins have or do any of the above? Just about every bear I've encountered has high-tailed it as soon as they were aware I was around. The only few that haven't were those that were slinking around a cabin I was at during the night. They had the cover of darkness and there were food scraps down by the wood's edge.

Agree about the fear mongering. I have seen thousands of black bears in the woods in pa and New York. I never sang a song, made myself bigger, yelled at them, or sprayed them with wasp spray (really, they are bears not bugs). One brushed my leg when I took a nap in the driver seat of a jeep with no doors. I've had four in camp (tent) at one time. I didn't bother them and they didn't bother me.

Not saying you should go pet them or anything but I also don't think acting aggressive by making yourself bigger and screaming at normally docile animals is a good idea either. I would think that the only time one need to be worried about a bear attack is when you scare the crap out of them first.

Respect them, be careful around them, don't scare them and all will be fine. Now dogs are a different story. I would yell at dogs and shoot them with bug spray but I'm still not singing to them.

No you sing loudly for them to hear you so you dont startle them.

poopdeck wrote:
Agree about the fear mongering. I have seen thousands of black bears in the woods in pa and New York. I never sang a song, made myself bigger, yelled at them, or sprayed them with wasp spray (really, they are bears not bugs). One brushed my leg when I took a nap in the driver seat of a jeep with no doors. I've had four in camp (tent) at one time. I didn't bother them and they didn't bother me.

Not saying you should go pet them or anything but I also don't think acting aggressive by making yourself bigger and screaming at normally docile animals is a good idea either. I would think that the only time one need to be worried about a bear attack is when you scare the crap out of them first.

Respect them, be careful around them, don't scare them and all will be fine. Now dogs are a different story. I would yell at dogs and shoot them with bug spray but I'm still not singing to them.

That's all fine and dandy, poopdeck and I agree with it entirely. Don't initiate anything. Just leave them alone and they will usually leave you alone. And who the hell carries wasp spray while fishing?

But what about that rare occasion where a bear does not leave you alone. I know it's rare, but it can happen. I'm not going to wait for him or her to start eating my left nut before I react. That is the only scenario I was talking about. Besides, I don't have to try to look big.;-)

I used to work in a state park, and I once my little brother tried to shoo some yearling cups away from a trash can. The mother was about 100 yards or so away and keeping an eye on everything, but she was a known bear and not a problem bear. We were careful not to make any suden movements anyway. We slowly approached those cubs.. Go-on, gitonoutahere... They just looked at us like "who the hell are you trying ti kid." I swear I head them laughing at us as we walked away.

BTW, nearby there was a bath house made of concrete block and a steel door that opened outward. I was fairly certain that I could get there before the bear and definitely certain I could get there before my brother. ;-)

Bear are cool animals.

BTW, I didn't sing to that German Shepard I mentioned earlier, but I still likely sounded like a Soprano.

I think this bear might be tough to fight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIWmmbbALok

I once had someone tell me that you wrestle them if they attack.

So I asked... do I have to pin them for 3 seconds, then they give up?

I guess i shoukd carry a 2x4 in the woods and yell like hacksaw jim. Hoooooooooooooaaaaaaaaa

Haha

I loved that commercial, and couldn't help but notice this video after that one was done. Second one doe have bears in it.

Bigger threat: snakes or bears?

Back