Barbless?

wildtrout2

wildtrout2

I'm curious how many out there use barbless hooks? Obviously, there's no right or wrong answer. Feel free to say why you use what you use if you want.

barbless, with young childern the barbes hurt.

Joe e

Barbless for everything but salmon, and sometimes steelhead. I don't like losing a fish after a 5-10 minute fight. I use barbed hooks in the salt, while ice fishing, and while fishing for catfish and carp too.

I fish for trout, bass, and panfish 90% of the time, and I use barbless 100% of those outings.

Barbless or crimped down. Barbless hooks can be driven in deeper. And you can pull them out ninety percent of the time with your hands. There is nothing worse then a croaking trout in your hands, suffering, as you're trying to rip out the hook.

Barbless or pinched down barbs.

Since I spend a lot of time on special reg waters which often require the use of barbless hooks, I de-barb all trout fly hooks before I tie a fly on 'em. For some saltwater applications I still prefer a small barb but I'm excusively barbless for bass and trout.

None of the special regs in Pa require barbless hooks any longer. I wish they did.

Tom,
Yes, you're right - I forgot. The rule changed a few years ago and I agree that it ought to have been retained.

The Catch and Release area on Lititz Run is Barbless.

I also use pinched down barbs.

Spector can you find me the listing on the PFBC site that lists Lititz run special regs section...I can't find it...is it in Lancaster county?

Ditto. All my hooks have the barb pinched down. Sure makes it easy to get the hook out... Most times it just falls out when the fish is netted.

Tom, Lititz Run is in Lancaster County, but to the best of my knowledge, it is not managed by the PFBC. It is "private water" that is managed by Fly fishing only/barbless hook regulations.

Managed by who? So basically its a consensual agreement that only barbless hooks be used? Who would cite you if you chose to use them? My only point was that the PFBC no longer has any regs that dictate the use of barbless hooks. But this I do find interesting. I did not like that they removed all the barbless restrictions on all of THEIR special regs. How does that work?

I tie my flies on barbed hooks, but when I intend to throw everything back, I pinch the barb down.

for bass, I don't do barbless, because they are so good at throwing a barbless hook, especially on lures or anything with size or weight to it.

I fish a mix.
I often pinch the barb, but I must admit most of the time it's not for the fish, it's because I hate ripping flies out of my net and wasteing time.

tomgamber wrote:
None of the special regs in Pa require barbless hooks any longer. I wish they did.

I would agree except that at least one WCO in central Pa had a reputation for going to extremes on barbs that were pinched down. If you didn't actually file them off he cited you.

BTW I crush my barbs down. On some hooks, particularly many Daiichis, the barb breaks off when crushed.

Tom,
If I'm not mistaken, I believe Spectors referring to the "Lititz Run Conservancy" deal that him and Sal have fished.
Theres some extra rules to be followed and you have to be a member of TU and donate to the Conservancy, then they'll give you a badge to fish. Lititz runs a unique situation that involves large super smart trout and a man-eating ram.

Squaretail wrote:
Tom,
If I'm not mistaken, I believe Spectors referring to the "Lititz Run Conservancy" deal that him and Sal have fished.
Theres some extra rules to be followed and you have to be a member of TU and donate to the Conservancy, then they'll give you a badge to fish. Lititz runs a unique situation that involves large super smart trout and a man-eating ram.

That's what I was trying to figure out. I had heard Lititz mentioned here a lot but didn't really know anything about it. . So again, the state no longer has any barbless regs.

tabasco_joe, yeah, there is always one @-hole that wants to make it about him and not about why the law exists.

Tom,

You bring up a good question, I don't know off the top of my head who does the enforcement. As many times as I've seen the sign, I haven't really read the details because I knew I was in compliance. Perhaps Spector or Sal can shed some light.

ST,

There is a section of Lititz Run that is "open water" south of Millport Road. This area is out of the Conservancy and can be fished without a Millport Conservancy button. Same smart trout though as most of them have had a home in the creek for quite some time.

Here are the regs for fishing within the Conservancy. Since it's private land, I suppose it's up to the Conservancy and/or landowner to enforce the rules.

Back