Bamboo Rods?

flyfishermanj

flyfishermanj

Hey Board,

Was wondering how many members fish with bamboo rods? I've cast a few but never fished with one. I liked it, was thinking of saving some money to buy one.
JH

I'd like to see how chaz will complain about the options on this one!

Haha. I'm just kidding... sorta. :-D

Well, JH, of course, I can only "speak for myself", but even owning two-antique, bamboos........... I'm not overly impressed with them.
In the 30 years that I've thrown the Long Rod, I've seen where the debate of "Bamboo-versus-glass-versus-graphite", has taken on more of a "life" than "the Chicken or the Egg?" scenario!
Given 36 fly fishermen........... 12 will swear by cane, 12 will do the same for glass and the remaining 12 will of course, hold out for graphite. The two rods, that I own are high grades, by famous rod makers and I only mention that, for comparison reasons, only.... not bragging!! But, for ME.... bamboo is heavier to throw all day long, it's very easy to ruin a tip on one, (the main reason, good cane comes with TWO tips, not just one!) and without proper and constant care, even the best of bamboo can become a tomato stake in a very short time.
Frankly, anymore, I see the grass rods as mere "status symbols", and not much more. They don't cast farther, play a fish anymore delicately, or present a fly, any more effectively than glass, and/or, graphite.
I suppose for some..... taking a cane rod, a greased-silk line a tweed burough jacket.............. with some flies tied from starling wings.......... out on the water for the day, could be a fun and enjoyable "step back in time", but not much else.
I love, my two bamboos, only for the traditions of our sport, that they once represented. But to run the risk of breaking, the tip off a $2,300.00 fly rod, as opposed to a $300.00 one, is too big an investment for me to really enjoy fishing with them, anymore!
Just my nine cents, worth!

flyfisherman,this sort of thing happens in every sport. Fishing is another one that reverses technology and goes back to the primitive . Its all about what you like, not what everyone else accepts or likes. I personaly will settle for a mid-flex graphite or boron rod anyday, but thats just my preferences and their like opinions, everyone has one. Fish with what you enjoy and can afford, their are no name boo's out their that throw with the best of the very,very overpriced Bamboo rods. Hope this helps you out.

I like fishing with any kind of fly rod, and I do fish with bamboo more than graphite. However, if I had that much money into any of them, I wouldn't use them either. I rebuild the old production rods for use. The craftsmanship alone is enough for me to prefer them. It's like furnature. You won't see plastic or metal furnature in my house. Nearly all the hard furnature in my house is high gloss cherry. I like natural materials. Even on my gun stocks. Most are walnut, even though I know synthetic is probably better. Also, I'm a big boy, I can handle an extra couple ounces in my fly rods. Does the bamboo work better? The answer is no. I do like the feel, but it has more to do with what you said, flybinder. It's traditional.

And another thing. When I started tying flies, it wasn't to save money. I could have bought an awful lot of flies for what I have invested in materials. It was for the extra thrill of catching fish on something I made. When I was a kid, I even experimented with carving my own wooden lures (with much less success). The bamboo is the same thing. Plus, my first fly rod was bamboo.

I think if you have 800 plus bucks to spend and you can't think of anything else that you could spend it on than buy a Bamboo rod.. To me Bamboo rods are all show with no go , why would you spend all that money on a rod, when graphite does the job better and is cheaper and lighter just my 2 cents :-o

Bamboo is to fly fishing as archery is to hunting?

I have a low quality banty rod I transformed out of a 9 footer. I used to have another low-quality rod, but traded it at the Jamboree. I liked the experience, but from a functional standpoint I wasn't impressed. That said, I may feel very different if I fished a good quality cane. It is like catching fish on an imitation of the hatching natural when a royal coachman would probably work just as good, or catching on your own tied flies when a purchased one might work better. There is something intangible and romantic about it that makes it enjoyable in a way apart from pure functionality. I have never owner an expensive graphite rod either, but have cast them. They are a pleasure to throw, but don't catch any extra fish, nor land them more effectively, in my opinion. I answered "None of the above," since I have fished with them, but presently do not. I last used the banty about 3 years ago.

Jack, I fished with one once too....but I answered no. Not that it matters.

I have one I restored A HI Tonka Princess that I think I compromised the tip section on while taking out a set during restoration. Anyway, it splintered on the first fish I caught on it....I had to go back and get the graphite rod out of the car.

It seems the tip is waaay too skinny a taper to match the heavy butt. I fantasize about getting a heavier tip section made by Joe E and wrapping the guides on it and fishing it again.

I can see how people enjoy using Bamboo rods for a traditional experience. It is just another conversation piece in flyfishing today. I don't have a problem with them using Bamboo, and to be honest, I admire the craftsmanship put into the bamboo rods I/ve seen. but I am not jealous that I cannot break one out and fish it too. I think graphite does a better job.

Maurice

I was the recipient of a cane rod at this years swap. I "restored" it and fish with it. I prefer graphite as I think most honest fisherman(do they exist??) would. Having said that I have few expensive graphite rods. I have cast some top end graphite rods. Neither have made my pulse quicken as the first time I strung up my newly refinished cane rod and gave it a go. I cast it for about 5 minutes enjoying the feeling of the rod load. Then I had to go in and ice my arm :lol: . I love the rod above all of my other rods. It will always be special and will be handed down to my kids. Some people equate it to hunting with a long bow. Thats a good analogy.

My mom has a kit car. Its a 68 healy with a 350 in it. Its loud and it shakes like its gonna break up. It is no corvette but like a good bamboo rod it gets the old ticker ticking.

I'm pretty amused at how the old crappy (I say it with love) fiberglass rods are coming back in style.

People like vintage. People like "primitive with class". People like to say that it used to be better in the old days. It's just how it is.

For what it's worth, I'd like to own a good fiberglass rod, as well as a bamboo. I just can't see it as a viable option right now. Maybe later on when catching them on graphite stops being the coolest thing ever... that should be enough to get me to look for more of a thrill.

"I just can't see it as a viable option right now."

JayL,
That is PRECISELY the reson why you need to get one now :lol:

Jay, older glass rods can still be had for relatively cheap. I sold a couple of them on Ebay over the last few years that I had picked up at estate auctions.

I agree with Farmer Dave and Jay L.
It's amazing at the resurfacing of the fiberglass rods again! As to Farmer Dave's comment, about "glass being found cheap and to check eBay"..... He's smack on. A while back I bought a pristine condition South Bend rod on eBay for $19.00 w/$7.00 to ship it.
It's an 8.5 footer. It came with the original "red cardboard tube, w/metal screw on cap", the original rod sock, and all the labels and such still intact. On the blank is a decal that states "For H and H/D Lines", which should date this rod at more than a few weeks old!?
It's fun to fish with and casts a 5WF with ease. I, still, keep an eye out for these older glass rods, as I've grown fond of using them occasionally and a good quality one can be had for a LOT LESS, than a Boo stick!
Heck, if I need to; "look at something, old and nostalgic, in fyfishing", I just pull out my driver's license picture............

One of the rods I sold was a Shakespeare Wonderod. i think I got around $20 for it. Definitely no more than 30. It was in very good shape. A guy from Texas bought it, and was really happy with it. So much so that he sent me a series of pictures of his girlfriend in a long sun dress catching a channel cat with it. She wasn't bad looking, either.

The other one was an old Montegue or H-I. Can't remember which, but I think I got just under 20 for it.

I've got THREE count 'em THREE bamboo rods, which is really too many IMHO. Still, I think I'll suffer with it.

I enjoy the feel of the rods. I don't think they would throw a line 80', but I catch more trout at 20' than 80.

I see a lot of guys are complaining how the rods feel heavy. I wonder if they are getting reels that balance the rod properly. With a good balance, I've never had a problem. With too light a reel, I feel like I have to wrestle the rod on every cast.

my first fly rod was a bamboo
A KINGFISHER brand to be exact 3piece with a Canadian made RUDALL reel
my grandfather gave it to me when i was about 12

I broke the tip tried to fix it myself and wound up throwing it away

Still have the reel

Really miss my grandfather and that rod!
Sorry PE-POP

steve98

I fish bamboo. Like some others, I also fish fiberglass and graphite though not as much. I am an equal opportunity bad caster. Above a six weight, it’s strictly graphite. I fish it for a few reasons. First I enjoy the way “some” bamboo rods cast. They are like graphite rods in that some are dogs and some cast really well. I also like the way they feel when you have a fish on. In my case this doesn’t happen too often but when it does, you can feel every head shake and movement through the rod. I also enjoy the way they look. A well made rod is something you can truly admire.

I don’t feel the need to defend this, hell, it’s my money. What I do want to clear up are what may be some misconceptions. Bamboo is not prone to breaking. I have a rod made in 1928, (8’, 3/2, 5 weight), and fish it most of the time. It has been through hell and back and has never failed me. I have broken two rods so far. One was because of a fall, I broke the tip and two ribs. The second was the result of a bad repair. If a rod does break, it can be scarfed, (repaired), or a new tip made. Typically many rods have two tips in order to alternate them after each day fishing. If you’re lucky and land a LOT of large fish, a tip will sometimes take a set if you don’t rest it. A set can usually be remedied by hanging the rod up and allowing it’s own weight to straighten it. If it requires more than this, then it can be held over low heat and bent to the opposite direction. Rods do require some care. They should not be put away/stored wet. If there is a chip in the varnish, eventually it may rot if continually exposed to moisture. This is not a problem with impregnated rods such as Orvis. As far as care goes, I use Butcher’s Bowling Alley wax or Pledge twice a year. Yes they are heavier. I like that. By heavier, I have an 8-1/2’ 6 weight that weighs 4.4 ounces. That’s almost 1-1/2 ounces heavier than graphite. I’m not a big guy but can’t honestly say I’ve ever been tired from casting. As I said, anything over a six weight and I fish Graphite. Nine foot rods aren’t that much fun either. Finally, line selection is just as important with a bamboo rod as a graphite. I’m sure a lot of folks out there have tried different lines with their rods, supposedly all the same weight, and found one they especially liked with that particular rod.

Bottom line is you have to ask yourself why do you want to fish bamboo. If it’s because you think it’s cool, forget it, bad reason. You fish it for the same reasons you fish a particular rod of any material. IT FEELS GOOD. Example – A few years ago I bought an Orvis Madison, 8’, 5 weight with one tip. I got it for $300.00. I lawn cast it and decided it wasn’t for me. My wife came out, cast it, removed the reel, broke it down, kissed me and said “thank you.” That’s been her main rod since then. I always try to get people to try as many rods as possible before they make the jump. Hell, that can actually be fun. If after that they still want to get one, then there are quite a few builders out there who can make you a rod for $500.00 to $1000.00. As Pad has pointed out, a SB290 can be had for $300.00. A Tonka Queen for about the same. Usually a bamboo rod is a better investment over graphite as they tend to hold their value. Buying them as an investment is also not the right reason to own bamboo however. I apologize for the long post and hope I haven’t stirred up things too much.

Rolf

Dear Board,

Anyone who says that bamboo rods can't cast with graphite rods has obviously never cast a good one.

To put things in perspective there are literally thousands of bamboo rods out there that retailed for less than $ 10.00 when high quality bamboo rods were $ 75.00 to $ 100.00 or more. Even Montague and H-I made high end rods but mostly all you see today are lower end rods by those makers that cost only a couple of bucks when new. They are not good examples of bamboo rods.

If that is all you have ever cast it's akin to casting a $ 10.00 or $ 15.00 graphite rod today. No wonder you think they don't cast well!

I'd suggest that some of you try a decent bamboo rod before you give up on them, but I'm afraid that if you did there would be less available for me to buy! :-D

Oh, and BTW, fiberglass rods are pure crap. It's a wonder people were even able to fish with them! :lol:

Regards,
Tim Murphy :lol:

I have been looking for a time to talk about this and since we are on the topic I will. I was given the same south bend rod that was talked about by a previous replier. It is in almost usable condition, the problem is One of the eyes has fallen off, I have it though. I really want to fish this rod if only once just in memory of the person who gave it to me. When I got it it had an old pfleuger reel on it. The problem is I don't know how to fix it ( I would like to learn). I took it to the local fishing store and asked them to fix it and they really didn't seem intrested in helping me. Does anyone know where I can take it or who could help me? I only want to fix it, even if I need to do each eyelet. Is it something I could learn to do?

Back