Bald Eagle

L

LouM

Saw a mature Bald Eagle while fishing the LLh today

I saw one while fishing today, too, probably more than 100 miles from the one you saw. He appeared to be fishing, though I don't imagine he practices catch-and-release fishing. He even gave me time to beat it to the house, get my wife, and drive her back out to get her first view of a PA eagle while he was perched in his fishing spot!

Saw one there 2 weeks ago above the hatchery. Below the covered bridge at the first long pool I saw a large raptor with a snake. Landed in a tree about 50 ft from me. Colored like a hawk but much larger. I was wondering if it was a young eagle. It flew down into the creek and sat in the water across the stream from me for a minute or two taking a bath. Pretty neat wished I had a pic.

Was driving down 895 along Lizard Creek to school. Had a mature bald eagle come and grab something about a foot off the road in the field. It flew right next to my jeep for a few seconds before hitting the ground. I know of two nesting pairs by my house. One on the mountain overlooking the Po, and another on the mountain over looking the Lehigh between Bowmanstown and Palmerton.

They are no doubt more numerous than when they went on the Endangered Species List. But be watchful, people are putting out poison bait for coyotes and eagles are eating the bait. If you know of anyone doing this, it's a good idea to educate them.
We saw 5 in Pine Creek Gorge last time up there.

I have had multiple sitings around Washington's Crossing in Bucks. Really cool sight for someone who appreciates these types of things.

for the central pa folks....

on four occasions I have seen bald eagles on spring creek from the water treatment center in bellefonte up to the canyon

Curwensville Dam had a nest sight in recent years, not sure if its still active or not

Tyeager,
I was hunting turkeys down along the river in the industrial park when a bald eagle lit out of a dead tree. It was close, and man was it big, bigger than I had anticipated.

I had one fly by the house a month ago and then started circling with another...might have been teaching a juvenile how to catch up-drafts.

My wife got pickes which are kinda blurry, but you can definately tell it is a bald eagle.

Didn't see one in the Pine Creek valley this past weekend, but on Thursday we saw one flying around the parking lot my friends and I were meeting at to carpool for our trip...in Manheim Township, Lancaster of all places!

They're all over the Susky, Patomac, and Shenandoah river systems. Seeing them spread over the years to other stream systems is just simply amazing.

I've seen so many along the delaware river, that I don't even pause from fishing to check them out anymore.

On spring creek, there is a nest that's quite visible from the fisherman's paradise parking lot.

And I was quite surprised to see one along oil creek several weeks ago.

The way they've come back is really something

Eagle sightings around my place are also getting to be more common, but it never gets old.

An even rarer sighting around here is pileated woodpeckers. One flew right over us while we were down by the corral. We were taking delivery of a new steer. I had seen pileated around the farm on a couple other occasions, and there are obvious signs of them, but that was the first one that the wife had seen at the arm. I don't think the guy who delivered the steer had ever seen one.

He said: "a what?"

Your links didn't work for me, but I do know what both look like.;-)

I don't have any pictures of pileated woodpeckers, and very few of bald eagles.

Another nice treat lately for me has been wood ducks on my pond in the woods. I had a pair there all summer, and there were 6 of them there last night.

No pictures of those either.

Dear Board,

The nesting eagle on Spring Creek is a wintertime tourist attraction. It's returned to the same tree now for several years.

I spent some time last Fall talking to a guy who was taking pictures from the parking lot above the first bridge in the Paradise. He's taken quite few over the years and some of them are in Fish Commission building inside the hatchery and some of them have made their way to national publications.

Dave I think pileated woodpeckers are pretty neat too. For several years I had them stop by and spend some time in my yard each Spring. I had a number of dead/dying white pine trees and apparently though the trees were not doing well the beetles and grubs that lived inside of them were thriving.

Woodpeckers would stop by and start hammering away in early March as they migrated. Each morning there would be fresh pile of wood chips alongside one or more of the trees when I took the dog outside.

Once when I had her out, what appeared in the predawn light to be a pterodactyl flew right over our heads squawking away. It was a pileated woodpecker and he spent several nights roosting in my backyard.

A Winter storm knocked down several of the trees favored by the pileated woodpeckers and I had a tree crew take care of the others.

They no longer visit anymore. :-(

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

They are links to facebook, that may be why they didn't work. I know you know what they look like. We get them in our yard once in a while, but I hear them on the mountain fairly often, especially in the spring.
As far as I know Pileated woodpeckers don't migrate.
Bald Eagles do, but it's pretty limited, they will go as far as they need to, to get away from frozen water. They especially like areas where there is a power plant that releases warm water into large rivers.

It was not too long ago that viewing a bald eagle in the wild was a rare experience and often occurred in some far away place. Thanks in part to the Pennsylvania Game Commission’s eagle restoration program in the late 80s seeing eagles is now a much more common event. There are now areas were eagles periodically congregate in surprisingly large numbers. If any one is interested in a program “Bald Eagles, Yesterday and Today” at one of your meetings send me a PM. I have a lifelong fascination with natural history, photography, and fly-fishing and started photographing eagles in 1980 during my fly-fishing trips out West. Over the years I have shot enough photos and collected enough data on eagles to present an interesting program. It would be a pleasant change from the fishing thing.

FCP

My buddies and I saw a bald eagle on Laurel Hill Creek in Somerset County late winter this year while eating lunch at the truck. Within an hour we saw an owl and numerous kingfishers while fishing the stream. The fishing wasn't spectacular, but it will be a day I will never forget.

We have a pair of pileated woodpeckers that live in the forest around our house in Ligonier. Love seeing and hearing their calls. They act like they own the place, and I can't get enough of them. If I could just keep them from going all Stihl chainsaw on our front dogwood, but I prefer seeing them frequent the yard.

For many years there were a pair of eagles that had a nest at Little Pine state Park. The nest is located right along the water were the creek dumps into the lake. It was on the opposite side from the road. I went to spot the eagles this spring and found out that the park rangers thought that the eagle had abandon the next.

Back