HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Bait fishing on the Little J

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

fly_N_ice wrote:

I still feel Mr. Anderson has an agenda. Is his problem with bait fishers, mortality, or invasive species? If he “lectured” me on the errors of my legal fishing methods, I, too, would make him sick with body gestures.

Hank

I agree. It sounds like he really lectured them, and if it were me, i'd have given more than body gestures. Simply talking to them would have been more effective. As it turned out, he only deepened the rift between fly anglers and all other anglers. Guys like him are the reason why we get sideways looks when we fly fish in open waters. And someone should remind Mr. Anderson that Brown Trout are also an invasive species.

Posted on: 2007/6/29 9:47

From Harrisburg
As I said before theres a reason spec-reg waters were created in the first place. Spinners, bobbers and 2 ounce sinkers arent very conducive to fly fishing. Most flymen I know dont even go out 1st day or mid season stockings anymore. Spin fishermen more often than not have the advantage especially now that they are going down to 4 and 2 lb test and the minnows are flying out the door at my work. I see and here reports everyday from bait/spinfishermen. After they get done telling me of all the fish they caught and how they just got done feeding the neighborhood, they want me to tell them where else they can go cause it sucks where they are fishing anymore.
No. I'm not kidding you.
I once had 2 men all the way down here wanting mesh bags so they can creel the very largest trout they catch out of the Little J.
Ofcourse cutting the line greatly increases the trouts chances to live compared to tearing its guts out and ensuring its death.
I have to admit though, when the ice came this past winter and the Ice Men were stopping in and they were so happy for ice finally, they were fun as heck.

Posted on: 2007/6/29 10:17

From Other side of the tracks
Squaretail, I have no doubt you are telling the truth. that attitude always amazes me, but the current system of regulations and stocking encourages that. Opening day is a joke. A macho contest. Like i always say. Stop stocking the trout streams and instead open the hatcheries to fishing. The stringer draggers will be happy and it will take the heat off of wild populations.

Posted on: 2007/6/29 10:25

From Carlisle
I get a good laugh out of how the PFBC puts up on their stream reports and so and so caught his limit in 15 minutes on the first day. Pretty much encouraging people to keep whatever they catch. I get such a laugh out of people who are just out there to get a limit in the shortest amount of time possible. Last year I fished the first day because its a family tradition and it was my first day out because of tax season. I had a hole that really only one person could fish and I had people above me and below me begging me to give them fish I was catching just so they could "top off" their limits. It truly is a macho contest of I caught my 5 before you so im better then you.

Posted on: 2007/6/29 10:54

From Monessen, PA
Speaking of giving away fish to fill out limits, not a lot of people realize that the way the regulations work, a fish given away like this counts against both the receiver and the giver's limit. So, if you fill up your buddy's stringer of 2 fish with 3 fish that you caught, once you get two more on your stringer, you are done for the day (except to C&R) because you have reached your limit of 5.

Posted on: 2007/6/29 11:57

I agree that mortality from deep hooking may be affecting the trout population on the Little Juniata and Spring Creek.

But other similar streams have worse management problems. Kish Creek and Bald Eagle Creek (from Spring Creek to the lake) are both central PA limestone streams with wild brown trout populations, just like the Little Juniata.

But on both of these streams, you are allowed to harvest 5 fish per day in the regular season, and 3 fish per day during the extended season.

Isn't the effect of that on the population going to be much greater than the incidental deep hooking mortality on C&R streams? So Kish Creek and Bald Eagle (below Spring Cr) are the places where you have the greater potential to see a really large increase in the trout population through a management change.

Posted on: 2007/6/29 12:54

From lancaster county
yes i did suggest you read an article just like one might suggest you throw this fly over that fly. what i did doesnt make me a snob but assuming iam might make you one? something to think about.

Posted on: 2007/6/29 16:33

From Harrisburg
Sure enough I gill hooked a 5 in wild brownie yestreday.
Services will be held at 5:00 on monday at Clarks valley.

Posted on: 2007/6/30 7:26

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com