Bad news for the Savage River

V

VTPAangler

This sounds problematic to say the least.

http://pennsylvaniaflyfishing.blogspot.com/

The end of an era...It'll come back in 20 years..

Where's the hard evidence, just because someone wrote a blog doesn't mean it's true.

I agree chaz

Chaz,
I have no reason to disregard this early report..The discription of the problem appears to be an accurate acount of what was always a potental threat all along...I'm looking for more information as we speak..

It'll be fine.
it's just mud. Spring will clean it up.

That's about what I was thinking. It's gotta be awfully bad to ruin the fishery. Bummer that it happened after what was probably one of the best spawning years in a long time, but what are ya gonna do.

Thats the trouble with artificial cold water release fisheries. They are controlled to the point of exceptional output for so long that when they receive a natural culling event it appears catastrophic. Its not a long term pollution event, or Didymo,(although I had heard some stink about the beginning stages there). So it received some unusual scour and mud, these are events that occur to natural freestones all the time. The problem will be that in order to clean it up, the Savage will need to be flushed this spring several times to the tune of bankfull events and the Dam will probably not agree to the releases for the sake of other management protocols. Live and die by the sword.

that guy just wants it to himself!!
while we're at it, there are no fish in penns, none, all gone, eveyone go home!!

This is what we get for making dams ;-)

I know this much, when they took that little dam out of the Breeches, it goofed it up for over a year. But at the same time, that was done pretty much during the middle of a drought and the silt had nowhere to go.
I would think even with the experts, it is a wait and see event.
(With crossed fingers)

Poe lake was drained and caused all kinds of problems on Penns last year..Poe lake is tiiny compared with the Savage res..For you streamer guys, sure the fishing is always good, but when you're on the dry, hatches mean something...

What Mo said...sounds like this guy has never sen a creek with high water before. The snow melt could be just the cure. Unless it melts all in one day its provide a nice steady input of cold clean water. Go back and look a the stream report from the 15th of Jan and you can see this blog "report" is bogus and self serving.

Any scour it has may help with the possible didymo problem as well.

We need 3wt7x to go check it out for us. He likes that stream anyways :-D then he can show us pics of nice browns he caught in the "mud channel".

The only part that gets me is how or why some one would write a bogus report like that,,Take the time and do that, what's the point..

What does a fishing report from January 15th have to do with this? This blog report is from a few days ago and the reported damage occurred very recently (after January 15th). I've enjoyed this guys blog for a while and I can assure you that this post is far from self serving. It's second hand information and I certainly don't think it can be taken as gospel, but this isn't a case of someone posting something they know is false to drive off other anglers.

This is a scenario that many who care about trout fishing in the Savage have been concerned about since they drew down the impounded water. I don't think anybody knows how something like what is described will impact the fishery, but I disagree with those who think that it will have no impact. The good news is that the stream is high gradient and over time what's been deposited should be flushed through the system (into the North Branch)

I dont doubt him, but im curious to why he didnt take pics of it. Something of this nature i would have thought he would have.

He didn't take pics because he didn't see it. Somebody (somebodies) reported this to him.

How do you know this? I just read the article again and he never mentions seeing it or having someone tell him about it.

In time silt will wash away, but how will the bugs fair? Will they recover? These are the questions only time will tell..

Back