Backwoods Anglers - Fishing the WB Delaware

G

GreenWeenie

Fishing the WB of the Delaware with Backwoods Anglers.

Love the hooks around the 4:00, 8:50 and 22:00 minute marks.

Backwoods Anglers

This is going to explode........might need to run to the store and get some popcorn

To be honest, other than the trebles which obviously were an issue with some fish, I thought it was a decent video(I didn't watch the whole thing yet though)

The 8:50 mark - notice the hole in the trout's mouth after the hook was ripped out.

The 22:00 mark certainly looks like the trout was foul hooked on the underbelly and then just ripped out.

He should really remove them treble hooks...

Blaine Mengel is a real damn good Delaware authority when it comes to Smallmouth. I am surprised that he has trebles on for trout. Guides locally and i have talked with him , I like the guy.

treble hooks are perfectly legal and don't harm fish any more then flies.

I learned the "key" to not harming the fish is to keep them in the water while you twist the treble hooks out. But when you get a nice fish, the "key" to not harming the fish goes out the window because you must handle them to lift them out of the water to get the picture or video. Nothing wrong with the way he was fishing, except why use trebles when you are C&R? Somehow using needle nose pliers to remove hooks on local trout just doesn't seem right to me. I guess that's my FF snobery showing........then he pulls in a nice brown NY style (sideways) pulls out the hooks from it's belly, and holds it up for everyone to see (forget about the "key" to protecting these fish). The he says "that's two in a row", huh? You count foul hooking a fish the same as catching one that bit?....He seems like a nice enough guy, but I'll pass on watching any more of his antics........Oh yea, he also says using a net is not the way to go........he feels its better for the fish to just "keep them in the water (except when you don't) and twist the hooks out with needle nose pliers.............that's it ..........

Chaz wrote:
treble hooks are perfectly legal and don't harm fish any more then flies.

I agree although, I remove the belly hook and mash the barbs down when using crankbaits. A treble in the gut is no good.
I've spoken to Blaine numerous times over the years. He is a great smallmouth guide.

disappointing video

Phish-On............that's what I should have said.

Really Chaz? So you rip their mouths apart when removing the fly so that is why there is no difference. First, when I've hooked a trout really badly I've simply cut the fly off and let him go. I don't think I've ever ripped his mouth off trying to remove a fly.

Difference, a bought fly is $2 at most, a tied fly pennies. A rapala is $8 so people aren't cutting then off to save the fish.

The way they handled those tout was a disgrace.

I think I would of been better off not watching this. Trout with holes in their mouth, some with trebles around their gills. that guys should stick to bass. why cant he replace them with single hooks. at least the trailer. its almost a sin to do something like that. mean while he talks about how delicate the fish are. Trebles are fine for some species of fish but not trout.
I agree chaz what are you thinking. their is no way that trebles are ok to be use on trout and he is using a rapala that is more for bass and saltwater application which means bigger hooks and that means a bigger hole in the fish. the trebles use on rooster tails are a little safer but that because their is one and they are smaller.

He obviously cares about the trout, leaving it in the water....while he rips hooks out of their gills. Come on.

Stop it everybody! You are all acting like snobs.

I'll take one size 16 barbless hook stuck in me any day compared to 6 size 8 hooks anyday if I had to choose............I know the fish can't choose, but the guy throwing them can.........call me a snob if you will but that guy should stick to bass fishing

People who put holes in fish complaining about how someone else puts a hole in a fish????

Good luck, Tony

My fly has never left a gapping hole in the mouth of a trout. I have never hooked a trout in the belly w/ a treble hook, or in the gill with my fly-at least not enough to remember doing so. If it ever has happened, it was a rarety. This guy did it more in the span of the video than I probably did in 15+ years of fly fishing. Even if I did do it, I wouldn't stand around talking about the precious resource of wild brown trout. Sorry, I usually don't get into these things, and I generally have nothing against the hardware guys, but this was just too much. It'd be one thing if he was just another hardware guy out there doing his thing, but then to talk about carefully handling the fish, what a great resource they are, etc., come on. That's what got me.

SBecker wrote:

That's right

Back