Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Backwoods Anglers - Fishing the WB Delaware

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Stop it everybody! You are all acting like snobs.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 22:42

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

I'll take one size 16 barbless hook stuck in me any day compared to 6 size 8 hooks anyday if I had to choose............I know the fish can't choose, but the guy throwing them can.........call me a snob if you will but that guy should stick to bass fishing

Posted on: 2013/2/14 23:16

People who put holes in fish complaining about how someone else puts a hole in a fish????

Good luck, Tony

Posted on: 2013/2/14 23:23

From Ephrata, PA
My fly has never left a gapping hole in the mouth of a trout. I have never hooked a trout in the belly w/ a treble hook, or in the gill with my fly-at least not enough to remember doing so. If it ever has happened, it was a rarety. This guy did it more in the span of the video than I probably did in 15+ years of fly fishing. Even if I did do it, I wouldn't stand around talking about the precious resource of wild brown trout. Sorry, I usually don't get into these things, and I generally have nothing against the hardware guys, but this was just too much. It'd be one thing if he was just another hardware guy out there doing his thing, but then to talk about carefully handling the fish, what a great resource they are, etc., come on. That's what got me.

Posted on: 2013/2/15 8:25

From Gamehendge
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
Stop it everybody! You are all acting like snobs.

That's right

Posted on: 2013/2/15 10:37

From plowville
I know the dudes alittle rough with the fish but bitching about hooking a fish in the belly. i mean come on i use barbless hooks and practice catch and release and handle the fish as little as possible. but foul hooking just sometimes happens ive done it before and im not real proud of it but #censor# happens. that being said treble hooks are very unnecessary if u kno how to fight a fish

Posted on: 2013/2/16 17:23

Yes foul hooking happens but being what looks like a fairly professionally produced show, you would have thought they would have edited that one out, or not showed a trout with a huge hole in its mouth from having the hook ripped out.

These two guys are clowns and I don't care how good bass fishermen they may be they are clowns and have no idea how to handle and release a trout.

Posted on: 2013/2/17 7:09

Snobs my a**. That guys a gd butcher. Barbed treble hooks on those treasures? You need to get some righteous indignation. Crapping in a cathedral OK to? Let's make that the last of the butcher shop videos.

Posted on: 2013/2/18 14:47

From MidAtlantic
Three problems here. Large bass sized trebles and the fact he obviously left the barbs on like you would bass fishing. If he used barbless hooks all you would need is a rubber net to help control the fish in the water and a hemostat to carefully back out the hooks. The other problem is fishing a jerk bait with the snap pause retrieve. You are going to get a lot more foul hooked fish whether you are trout or bass fishing with that type of erratic lure action. Just the nature of the lure and it's action. I also did not like seeing him rip the hooks out like so many bass fisherman do. Just way to rough on the fish no matter what species it is.

Posted on: 2013/2/18 17:46

Quote:

Chaz wrote:
treble hooks are perfectly legal and don't harm fish any more then flies.

Which would you rather get to the back of the ear? A barbless fly hook or a two treble hooks?

Posted on: 2013/2/19 8:20

From NC PA Mountains
Quote:

wsender wrote:
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
treble hooks are perfectly legal and don't harm fish any more then flies.

Which would you rather get to the back of the ear? A barbless fly hook or a two treble hooks?

What...are you comparing humans to trout? I would not want either. So, I guess you should stop fly fishing or maybe you could tie your flies on one of these...http://www.google.com/patents/US53395 ... awing#v=onepage&q&f=false

Several years ago someone was tying dry flies on hooks with a bead on the point so a trout would not get hook. All the fisherman would experience would be the take.

Posted on: 2013/2/19 12:00

From Monessen, PA
Gotta touch the trout or it don't count. Amen.

Posted on: 2013/2/19 12:05

From Ephrata, PA
A treble hook in the ear sounds more punk rock.

Posted on: 2013/2/19 12:15

Back in my spin fishing days, I once managed to get two hooks from a spinner in my ear lobe. If I had to choose, the barbless fly would def. be my choice.

Posted on: 2013/2/19 19:15

I have fished jerk baits for many years and caught alot of trout on them. I usually fish a smaller size bait like the Lucky Craft Pointer 65 or a Rapala 06 X-Rap. I would have to check, but I think they come with size 10 trebles on them.

What I have found is the size 10 and larger trebles tend to hook trout and smallmouth bass with just one of the three points of the treble hook. When you get into the smaller size trebles is when they seem to hook fish with two or even all three points.

I remove the belly set of trebles on these type of baits most of the time. Doing that all but eliminates "foul" hooked fish. It also eliminates the chance of the second set of trebles sticking me when the fish is being released. I dont think these type of baits foul hook more fish then other baits. Its more that when the fish is fighting the loose set of trebles will sometimes hook another part of the fish's body. I have tried replacing the trebles with single hooks, what I have found is that it doesnt work very well. As with 90% of the hooks that I fish with, the barbs are removed.

As far as releasing fish with these type of baits go. I honestly dont think there is a difference with a debarbed treble compared to a single hook of the same size. Grab the bend of the hook with the hemos or needle nose pliers, twist/pull and out it comes.

Could Blain have handled the fish better, sure? Did the fish have sore lips after being released, probably? Did the fish survive after being release, probably? I dont know Blain personally but have met him a few times on the Delaware River, at a local tackle shop, and at sportsman shows. He is one of the nicest guys I have ever met, and is always willing to share his knowledge.

Anyone who thinks that fly fisherman/flies cant damage fish needs to spend a few minutes on the fly fishing/catch & release section of the Little Lehigh. There are more beat up fish on that section of water then anywhere else I have ever fished.

Good luck, Tony

Posted on: 2013/2/19 23:34

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com