BWOs and mystery bugs on Valley

ian_brown

ian_brown

Last night I fished Valley and caught my first fish on a BWO. There were also some tiny white bugs coming off. Do any of the Valley regulars know what these are? I'm guessing some sort of cream midge.

No idea ian, but next time youre fishing, give me a heads up, ive yet to catch a fish on valley and wouldnt mind fishing with you.

Ian,

I've talked to you about the BWOs already, but I didn't know about the little white guys. Are they caenis?
http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/392/Mayfly-Caenis-Anglers-Curses

If so, don't bother trying to match them. The damn things are impossible.

That's probably them. They were so small I couldn't get a very good look at them. They made my #24 BWO look downright large.

There was some BWO's coming off at Ridley also last night about a size 22 or 24 .. Its wierd how they only come off when it looks like its going to rain or after it rains .. Listen to this I can catch more fish at valley than I can at the little lehigh . Am I the only one that thinks that said ? I went to the mainline fly tyers meeting last night they got a good program going on great speakers,tying and fishing classes you guys should check it out :-D Heres the link to there site ......

http://www.mainlineflytyers.net/

Are there trout in Ridley at this point in the year? I thought they died off during the summer.

MUMS the word just put it this way the temp was 61 yesterday and 48 on monday. Why you want to meet up for some fishing? :-D

I'd love to. However, my twins will be arriving this week, so I don't see myself getting out in the near future.

I highly doubt they were caenis, but rather some sort of small midge. In the eve you can the midges will appear. From a fishing perspective I do not think it is that advantageous to match them...but that may be just me as I do not fool around with that tiny dry fly stuff over at VC.

In fact I was over at VC on Sat morning, and picked up a few rocks and was suprised at all the small caddis green caddis worms. Other than that the rocks were bare. Only bugs I saw flying around were a few crane flys.

I have run into that cream midge many times while fishing in the fall. It is quite tiny - I match it with a #28 tie. I just tie it with 8 ott cream thread, 2 tiny hackle tip wings, and about 2 turns of the tiniest cream hackle I can get off the top of the neck.
This fly can be quite important - especially if there's nothing else hatching when it does

You won't be the first to say that you catch more fish at Valley then the LL. The LL get's hammered daily and sees many more anglers then any stream I've fished, that includes Spring Creek who many think gets crowded. I was at Spring Creek over the weekend and there were' even any anglers there on Sunday.
As for BWO's there always are heavier hatches of them on cloudy days.

Last time I fished Valley was about two weeks ago and last in the afternoon there were those white/cream midge-like bugs coming off. They were not there in numbers but the fish were rising for something and I thought those could have been what they were going for. About 30 min before I had to leave a small hatch started coming off of BWOs and another larger mayfly, I didn't have any luck that day and got skunked for the first time on VC since early spring. Will probably fish there this weekend though.

One thing that has been getting me some hits on VC lately is a CDC "bubble back" caddis emerger with grey CDC with cream belly dubbing, they may be mistaking these for those small white flies. I fish this fly in the surface film (its got a foam core and the CDC floats) and then twitch it now and then.

Back