BOUGHT A JOURNAL what all should i put in it

• Thread starter mike_richardson
  • Start date
mike_richardson

mike_richardson

I had bought a journal to start writing things into for each trip.

i was wonder what i should put in it.

i was thinking first thing is location/stream, date, time, weather, stream conditions, and temperature.

next what kind of fish, size, and what fly they took(size, depth), healthof fish. maybe describe the fight or scenario(how i came about catching the fish). any hatches and what time they started coming off.

if i keep any fish note what they had in their stomach.

note fun experiences and who all went along.
possibly add pictures.
let me know what you guys would add.

First entry:

"Note to self.... stay off of the OT forum. It's filled with anger"

This would be soooo much easier, effective and manageable using a computer or smart phone. GPS points linked to Google maps, photos geotagged, sortable data base, etc.

i have a smart phone but i figured it would be nice to have an acutual journal to keep i mean if your phone dies your screwed.

Ya, back it up to a computer. You would want to capture photos, GPS, etc on phone and then transfer that data to the computer where it would be easier to sort data, etc.

I don't see a real point either way, but if you want to write it in a journal knock yourself out. Seems pretty evident what should be in the journal based upon your OP.

"Dear diary,

Today I met this dreamy guy at the stream! He had such pretty blue eyes, and he told me I was as sweet as any Parmachelle Belle. He tied on a dainty little Adams, then held my hand as we cast for the delightful trout that swam in the riffles. It was a magical moment, and one that I shan't forget, Diary! Then, we skipped through a meadow of wildflowers, guessing at the size of the grasshoppers that lept to and fro. They were size 8. Afterwards, we dried our waders in the sun."

I mean, that's what I assumed most people wrote in their fish'n journals, no?

I was thinking something like this

Date: 6/25/2010
Stream: Yellow Creek
Pressure: None
Conditions: up with green tint
Weather: Sunny with slight breeze 68 degrees( rain night before)
Fish: (2) browns 14"(sz.14 bhpt)
11" (sz.14 bhcaddis larvae)

(6) rainbows 2 (10") 4 (13") all on sz.14 BHHE

all in all a great trip caught 8 total ranging from 10" to 14" fish were all caught nymphing with foam float. All fished that were realease were fine. Notice a caddis hatch coming off but fish were reluctant to bite. Also very tiny mayflies were seen attaching themselves to my waders. never saw this before. Found new spot past Co-Go's on right near bridge. Mike and Brandon accompanied. Brandon caught 8 all on red worms Mike got 1 on a BHPT. Great time taking out little cousin and pickin on best friend.

Kept 4 trout all loaded with free swimming caddis larvae and small skud. ** tie more of these for next trip**

i am a datahead. cant stop trying to learn and make things more productive and precise. i figure if i were to create this journal and find that during the 3rd week of june that the trout are loaded with caddis larvae i am sure to have a ton of them and not waste my time tying up 10 BHPT not that they wouldnt work. That is all i am saying.

and if you like to meet guys on the creek and hold your hand more power to you LOL not my kind of thing but im not a hater. LOL

mike_richardson wrote:
and if you like to meet guys on the creek and hold your hand more power to you LOL not my kind of thing but im not a hater. LOL

With this swimmer's body, I gotta beat 'em back with a Folstaff.

nice. LOL
I can honestly say i was never hit on on the stream buy a guy but i did see. a Daisy Duke look a like walkin up the creek in daisy duke shorts with a zebko 202 and bubble gum on the line. i dont think she was looking for fish. lol This was in Potter county and i didnt know they had women like that there. Blew my mind. :-D

Make sure you get the facts. It reminds me of a Gierach story about fishing journals. We tend to get into trying to describe beauty and how we feel about the day, and that never comes across as well in writing and its never what you're looking for when you go back and read it in 5 years. Yeah, our reason for fishing in the first place is the beauty, exercise, and overall experience. But those are not your reasons for reading an old fishing journal! Facts.

Even among "facts", there is a sliding scale of objectivity. The more objective, the better, because your definition of "high" or "warm" will change with time.

For instance, if the stream has a gauge, write 200 cfs instead of "slightly high." Instead of saying "slightly off color", put it on a scale of 1-10, or better yet, construct a color card, place it in the front of the journal, and match the color. Water temperatures at several times throughout the day, and in several locations, are good notes to have. Don't say its a warm muggy day, say the high was 86, and it was 76 at dusk, with humidity at 60%.

Date, time, weather and water conditions, and hatches are probably most important, because more than likely, you'll be using it to try to predict when those hatches will occur. Noting the fish response is useful (they rose, they didn't rise, they were actively chasing nymphs under water, they wanted emergers, the small ones rose while the big ones chased nymphs, etc.).

How many you actually hooked and landed and what exact pattern you got em on is secondary and less important, it could even be negative. If you nymph all day, have 2 hits, and land them both, well in reality, thats a sucky day and a sucky situation, you were lucky to get what you got and it isn't something your future self wants to repeat. But if you had 50+ refusals, 25 misses, lost 3, and landed 2, well the opportunity is there for one heck of a day. You were either not good enough, or just unlucky (we all have unlucky streaks!) not to achieve better results. Your future self might have better hooks, more exact imitations, better drag-free floats, and better luck, and in the same day would have caught 20+. But if all you wrote was "landed 2 fish", then your future self doesn't know the difference between these two days, and is likely to assume the fishing sucked.

Same goes with pattern. It might be worthwhile to mention that the comparadun worked better than the catskill tie. But fish change with pressure and what other guys are using. Likewise, do you really know what they were keying on? Maybe that catskill you tried had some hackle out of place, the wrong length of tail, or an imperceptible UV glow, or you gobbed it with too much floatant, something oddball could have turned those fish away. And maybe your future self ties better flies, with a different brand of thread and dubbing. If you notice a preference for "in the film" vs. "high floating", well, then thats more important to your future self.

Dont worry about it having more then 4 pages you'll more then likely get sick of it!

No really though If I had the will to keep a fishing. I would love to keep track of how fish move in low and high situations!

i don't have much success with keeping journals going. the only time it works for me is when i actually have something to write down that's worth reading. maybe short entries with the most essential info. i usually fish until i drop. its all i can do to drag my waders in from the car... much less sit down for an hour with my journal.

Make sure included chick sighting as well, that's the only reason I can think of to fish the LL!

If you are a self proclaimed data head then this must be done in a computer rather than a journal. You are clearly indicating that the desire to quantify fishing is greater than the desire to qualify fishing. As such, the computer database is going to allow you to data mine much, much more powerful results.

Return the journal, unless you have already written your name all over the front of it and put stickers on it. In that case arrange a fishing date with Gfen.

mike,

Keep one if you want to. I had kept notebooks for the first couple of years and recently found them. I had a 90 fish day at Big Spring once and found pictures of me fishing with Art Lee and Joe Humphreys! Forgot all about it until I found the notebooks. Neat stuff.

I had:
Date / time
Location / stream name
Water temp and conditions
Weather conditions
Insect activity
Fish species and sizes
Flies used

If you did that for 5 yrs, you'd kill a bunch of trees but I'll bet you see some pretty neat stuff when you review them years later.

jdaddy is also a tech head and that's why he hates bamboo rods so much. I agree w/ him that putting GPS info, photos / video would be pretty neat. Like he said, you can back it up on the computer and keep a diary that way too. If you keep one in some fashion, you can't go wrong.

I would go as far as to say write a good program to log these things and you could probably sell it. Interface it with the Iphone/Droid devices. Catch fish. Photo with mobile device. That photo would automatically geotag the location, date, time, etc which could populate into the computer database and pull USGS flow/temp for that specific time at the relevant station.

Now, note I am not discounting a written journal as I still feel that written items are much more personal than digital communication. However, the only purpose I could see in using a written journal would be to look back on it 60 year later, when you are 78 like Sight_Nymph. LOLOLOLOL. Really, though it would be cool to find a treasure like SN found in his storage. I think that would be my primary purpose for written journal.

Edit: Looks like there is lots of software out there for this data mining. http://fishing.idealog.net/ I mean who does not need to know wind speed variable in pounds per hour catch rate? It would be awesome if we could share and combine databases.

maybe you should add coordinates what they took and the barometric pressure

The Daisy Duke hatch is journal worthy for sure!

jdaddy wrote:
Return the journal, unless you have already written your name all over the front of it and put stickers on it. In that case arrange a fishing date with Gfen.

Oooh!

Yer wearing the skirt though, I don't have nice legs. Kinda stubby.

Back