Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

Re: BEST FISHING VEHICLE?

From Southeastern Pa
RyanR,

My buddys dad has a colo and that thing is awesome for fishing. we took trails around the south side of rt6 near the lumber museum that i thought were pretty rough and that thing handled them like nothing.

I slept the night in my toyo last year up at that campground near poe paddy during the GD hatch at colburn and thatll be the last time i sleep in the back of that thing with the tailgate up! there were some bears snooping around i didnt want my piggies getting bit!

Posted on: 2011/1/11 0:07

VW camper-other than being a little under powered for western mountains[especially in the snow] it was great-bed very comfortable.
Worse-pick up trucks with uninsulated tops.
If it was cold the condensation from your breath would freeze and then you would have mini-rainstorms when it warmed up-lol

Posted on: 2011/1/11 5:56

From Johnstown, PA
In 1974 bought my first new vehicle a rag top cj-5 Jeep , old turn in hubs . in line 6 cyl , factory warn winch , that was the meanest fish wagon i ever had. 3 speed on the floor , went places i would never go now. My Ford F-150 302 c.i. 4x4 with extended cab and cap over the bed for a sleeper is my old fart fish wagon now. If i had the $ my buddies Hummer would be nice except for the gas. And my daughters GMC Jimmy , which i took to the Jam was ok too , enough room for all my stuff and sleep in too. My CJ-5 saw more action than any though. in 1974 was $2,999.00 brand new. ripped up 4 rag tops though.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 6:45

I'll put in a plug for my Suzuki Equator. I can just throw in my kayak for striper fishing in OC or LM fishing in SJ or (kayak or not) fishing in PA. Handled the OBX with no problem.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/1/11 7:05

From So MD/Misplaced Pittsburgher
Nissan Xterra. Everything most wagons have plus the ability to go 4x4 which I have to have. Plus it will haul 5000lb. Nice for the times when I need the ATV.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 7:06

From harlansburg
I think a vw synchro vanagon would be the ultimate. all wheel drive, LOTS of room, and you can easily sleep in it, which is an important requirement for me.
they are getting very hard to find, and they are becoming increasingly fragile. I had a standard vanagon, I know all about the problems!! but they are awesome fishing vehicles. instant hotel room beside the creek, and if you have the awning attachment, you have a streamside porch as well. the new ford transit connect looks like it has potential. lots of room in the back and you can almost stand up in it.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 7:07

X-2 on the Nissan Exterra, I have an '04 and love it. I rigged a rod carrier inside and can haul 6 strung rods, in the spring, summer and fall there are two Thule J-cradles to haul our fishing yaks on top. It goes great in the sand if you air down properly and as far as gas goes, for a 4x4, you could do worse.

Jeff

Posted on: 2011/1/11 7:21

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
This;

Attach file:

jpg  DSCN0729.JPG (329.52 KB)
112_4d2c4e5c10c36.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  highwater.jpg (21.19 KB)
112_4d2c4ebf5bc86.jpg 329X291 px

jpg  acroos the country.jpg (37.14 KB)
112_4d2c4eec1d3ba.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  van coming out or riverbed.jpg (37.83 KB)
112_4d2c4ff468608.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/1/11 7:41

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Portage, PA
my favorite that i had so far.

Attach file:

jpg  zebra.jpg (108.21 KB)
3478_4d2c536e1645d.jpg 600X449 px

Posted on: 2011/1/11 7:56

Good post. My personal opinion makes me type, "You gotta have a truck!". Unless you are a chick, you have to have a truck... I don't want this taken the wrong way, but I could never go on a fishing trip in a station wagon.... Screw the gas mileage...:)

Posted on: 2011/1/11 8:02

From harlansburg
sandfly, that's one great looking astro! too bad they quit making them. I always keep an eye out for one, but the prices really seem to be holding steady, folks are realizing they don't make them anymore and the prices on used ones seem to reflect that.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 8:05

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
what year are you looking for
check out www.astrosafari.com
I am on there with the group.
good place to find one
holds a 9' rod together inside

Posted on: 2011/1/11 8:36

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

Quote:

LRSABecker wrote:
I got a Neon, Nuff said

You need to get a real rugged outdoors type of vehicle. Like my Honda Civic.

Driving forest roads in a 4wd truck or jeep is boring. Driving those same roads in an econobox makes life interesting.

Seriously though, with high gas prices, I think econoboxes are a good choice for trout fishing in PA. My Civic gets 36 mpg on average, and 40 mpg on long highway trips. The more recent Civics are larger and don't get quite that good gas mileage. But my brother has a Honda Fit and it gets similar mileage to my Civic, and has lots of room for gear.

Gas is rising over $3 a gallon again. So good gas mileage is important.

Those little cars do fine on most forest roads in PA.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 9:09

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Well, in anything like this there's always trad-offs. I'll run down my last 2:

Current: 2010 Subaru Forester:

Positives: Decent clearance and a better than most AWD system means it handles most situations I throw at it. Does great (better than 4x4 trucks) in light snow and ice, thin mud, etc. Does better than anything I've ever driven on loose gravel/dirt roads, which lets face it, is much more common for a fisherman than deep snow and ruts. Decent gas mileage (25-27 mpg), considering its AWD all the time. Comfortable. Back seat folds down flat so you essentially can have a truck bed size for storage. Easy to drive with exceptional handling. Very nice vehicle.

Negatives: The gear is stored inside, meaning on multiple day fishing trips, where things get wet and such, the cabin can begin to get fairly rank. To have much storage space for fishing/camping, the rear seat has to be folded down, meaning you can haul gear or people, but not both. Acceleration is a bit sub-par on onramps and such, though it only seems to be an issue at mid-speed, it does fine from a stop or when passing at highway speed. Clearance still isn't equal to a truck, so deep snow, ruts, deep mud, etc. are problems. Paint scratches entirely too easily, so while traction is fine for 99% of typical fishing related off-roading, you'll scratch it all to heck. Terrible stock stereo, unlistenable. I'm not a stereo guy but I had to change it out quickly.

My last vehicle before that was a Dodge Dakota quad cab 4x4:

Positives: Went anywhere, it loved deep snow and ruts, big rocks, etc. Bed with cover was nice for fishing gear, kept it out of the cab. Plenty of room for camping gear, etc. Large backseat which is separate from the bed, so you can take passengers and gear simultaneously. Very powerful, acceleration was great and it rode nice on the highway. Easy to work on (lots of space around all things that need attention occasionally).

Negatives: Broke down constantly, it was a money pit. Gas mileage sucked, 17ish in ideal situations and 14-15 was more typical. Thats about it, but those are 2 pretty big ones!

Losing the rear diff. for the 2nd time in a year, combined with cash for clunkers being in effect at the time, did this vehicle in.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 9:16

From SE PA
GFEN you need a lift kit and larger wheels to get back where I go. The Element isn't bad but if I was buying a vehicle strictly for fishing I'd get a 4 door Wrangler.

Sandfly, do you have antique plates on that yet?

Edit: forgot to mention it needs to pull my boat which goes about 1700 lbs.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 9:37

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com