At camp

FiveWeight

FiveWeight

Been at camp in Huntingdon since Wednesday night. Fishing has been tough with the rain and wind. May flies everywhere here at camp. Eating breakfast at Tops Diner then off to Barree. Water lever on the LJ looks just right , at least for me any way.

The J is VERY much in play right now. I think you'll have a fantastic evening...

You are lucky to be up there, enjoy..

T

Yes, very lucky to be where ever I am most days. Shortly after my last post on this thread I did hit the Barree section on the LJ. It was a perfect time on the water. I fished from right across the last house on the right before the dead end parking lot to just above the RR bridge.
Water was perfect. It really didn't matter just too much what you threw at them be it dries or sub-surface. My first 25 casts yielded 17 Browns. I nailed an 18 incher on the first cast! These were all on drys. Light Cahills, Sulphers, Adams, etc. It truly got to the point where it was just to easy. I got out of the water and walked the trail back to the island just down from the RR bridge and set up shop there with streamers and buggers. I'm not the best at the sub-surface stuff but it didn't matter much. I still caught fish. Huge Clouser's, swing'n wets, Copper Johns, big Buggers.... Four of the fish that day were easily over 20". I have a mark on my one 5Wt at 16". As I've said before. I am truly amazed at the size and strength of some of the fish I catch on the LJ. I haven't had much of a chance to fish much this year. This was just the fix I needed. I need to get a waterproof camera and or fone. I could careless about show'n off. I just want pics to remember by..... Yes, I am a very lucky man.

You are a lucky man 5! Tops Diner is one of my favorites. Been going there since my first hunting trip "up Mill Crik Holla" with my Dad back in '75. Grandma G was born in Three Springs and lived her whole life in Huntingdon. She is buried at Bowmans Chapel Cemetary out in Smith Valley. I love that whole area - Warrior Ridge, the Lion's Back, Diamond Valley, The Barrens, etc. I sort of grew up tromping around those woods and streams - there's a permanent soft spot for me. I should head up more often. I might even fish...

Yep, that whole area up there is a great place to hunt, fish, hike.... Our place is back towards the dam just shy of Point Access. I can throw a rock and put it in the big J. Give a yell sometime that your head'n up. See if we can't do some fish'n.

Small world. Didn't think I'd ever "meet" someone who knew Bowman's Chapel. Several of my family members are buried there, and we've been hunting Smith Valley for almost 100 years. While I love the remote big woods up north, Smith Valley remains my special place. And you can't beat Tops' hot turkey sandwich with gravy fries.

@5 - if you keep going along the Branch past Corbins bridge, the road curves to the left. My Grandmother's sister and brother in law owned the second farm on the right after the curve. Used to catch "black bass", Rockies, and pickerel at the rock pile. I shot my first rabbit and grouse along the meadow edge up on the hill. I believe the Baker family still owns and resides there. My Uncle Earl Baker wrote his World War One (!) memoirs. You can buy it at Amazon - called Doughboy Diaries. @5050 - if you are related to any Dell's Heck's, or Gooderham's, you're practically family. I'm related to about half the county up there. Got the historical Hintingdon county records to prove it. The hillside above Bowmans Chapel is one of the most peaceful places I've ever been. I may just get buried there too. JG

JG63 wrote:
@5 - if you keep going along the Branch past Corbins bridge, the road curves to the left. My Grandmother's sister and brother in law owned the second farm on the right after the curve. Used to catch "black bass", Rockies, and pickerel at the rock pile. I shot my first rabbit and grouse along the meadow edge up on the hill. I believe the Baker family still owns and resides there. My Uncle Earl Baker wrote his World War One (!) memoirs. You can buy it at Amazon - called Doughboy Diaries. @5050 - if you are related to any Dell's Heck's, or Gooderham's, you're practically family. I'm related to about half the county up there. Got the historical Hintingdon county records to prove it. The hillside above Bowmans Chapel is one of the most peaceful places I've ever been. I may just get buried there too. JG

Know right where you mean. The mail box still says "Baker" on it. I've been hunting and fishing the county for over 25 years. From Whipple Dam, Warrior Ridge, Jackson Corner, Martin Gap, The LJ, Spruce Cr, The Lake.... If we leave at the right time and miss the beltway traffic around Hburg I can be where I wanna be in 2hr 10min. 121 miles door to door!

I take 641 all the way to Shade Gap, then up thru Orbisonia, Mount Union, Tops, and into town. Many fond memories of "over the river and through the woods" along that route.

I have a friend of mine that has a camp in New Germantown and thats the way I go when I leave his place and head to Huntingdon. Son in law's dad has a camp just before Black Log over the red n White covered bridge there on 522. Have another friend 7 miles back Black Log valley off of 522. Thats not to shabby fish'n back there either.

JG63, you hit the nail on the head. My grandmother on my dad's side was a Dell. My dad's a Wible, he's from Mapleton and his dad was from Three Springs. We still hunt on the his cousins' track (Andrews) about 3 - 4 miles back from pole cat hollow. Nice to meet ya "cuz"

Back