Art!

Padraic

Padraic

My long suffering spouse subscribes to American Art Review. It's a magazine about art, art collecting and what museums are showing in their special exhibits.

Well, one of our own is up in the rare air of fine art.
http://www.amff.com/exhibits/
The American Fly Fishing Museum is showing Ogden M. Pleissner: The Sporting Grand Tour. The pieces they reprinted in the article were fantastic. And from his bio it sounds like he had the kind of sporting life even Gierach would daydream of. There are a couple of his works up on the amff.com website. Check them out! They aren't just good flyfishing paintings, they are good paintings. :)

For the most part, the traditional art world looks down its nose at what they consider low brow "sporting art." The great animal artist Karl Rungius once said that his landscapes would win awards but as soon as he painted a moose or bear in the same image the critics wouldn't even look at it. Once in awhile though a "mainstream" art journal or news show will do a nice piece on wildlife or sporting art. A couple years ago the MacNeil-Lehrer News Hour had a nice episode on the fishing art of Winslow Homer (I think a link was posted on this site). Ogden P certainly was one of the great outdoorsman/artists in keeping with the likes of CM Russell, Phillip Goodwin, Rungius, or the recently deceased Bob Kuhn (who loved fly fishing for trout). His watercolors bring to life salmon fishing, duck hunting, and all sorts of adventure. It's nice to see a great outdoor artist finally get some recognition outside of the outdoorsman community.

I would really like to get some bold pictures of fly fishing. Not water colors or something you'd buy at Cabela's. I like childrens art the best because they paint what they see and they see things brillantly. I know people see fly fishing as something peaceful but I don't feel that in my heart when I have a good trout on the line. Natives are all muscle, I'd like to see an artist capture that fine line between the love of catching a fish. the fight to not be caught and the point between man and fish when they let it go.

The art work is indeed beautiful. It rises you above the water. Thanks for sharing.

wetnet,

hmm... The only artist I can think of who paints with vitality is Ned Smith
http://www.nedsmithcenter.org/store_pics/stingofhook_framed.jpg
But I wouldn't consider him a "primitive" or "naive" (untrained) artist.

Some of the photos posted here are truly beautiful scenes but put you do lose the timeless essence when you put an action figure in a photo or a painting.
So-I concur with the critics[not that it means anything]

pete41 wrote:
Some of the photos posted here are truly beautiful scenes but put you do lose the timeless essence when you put an action figure in a photo or a painting.
So-I concur with the critics[not that it means anything]

Mark you calendar pete, 'cause I agree with you. :-D

I never collected much outdoor art. Generally speaking, the outdoor art I have seen takes a vital, living, breathing, impressive subject (a wild animal) and freezes it like an anatomical model.

I much prefer straight landscapes. When someone depicts a deer or a bear they get it's likeness but not it's life. But there are some that rise above that, and they deserve consideration as artists not just artists of a genre.

Padraic wrote:
wetnet,

hmm... The only artist I can think of who paints with vitality is Ned Smith
http://www.nedsmithcenter.org/store_pics/stingofhook_framed.jpg
But I wouldn't consider him a "primitive" or "naive" (untrained) artist.

If it matters he was self taught. :lol: Besides there's a pretty nice DHALO behind the Ned Smith Center that gets stocked in early March, so if you're getting the winter blahs a trip to the NSC is always a nice warm up.

Boyer

This spring, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC had an exhibit of paintings by Gustav Courbet, an important French artist who influenced the Impressionists (he worked in 1840-1850). First couple of rooms were standard landscapes, portraits, seascapes, nude girls, etc, etc. A bit on the academic side, I thought. But, in the next room was a landscape of a mill along a stream just outside a cave; my thought, I bet there's fish in there. Sure enough, next room had two paintings of huge fat browns. There were about a dozen other paintings of deer and wildlife also. Never expected to see that in NYC!

wetnet,i'd like to suggest some art for you.i came across these blogs through my love of fiberglass rods.i hope you enjoy them.

www.yuhinaillustration.blogspot.com

www.drawingflies365.blogspot.com

and this guys photos:

www.musicarskikafe.blogspot.com you have to scroll down or go a few pages to see pictures of his ties.

Back