Army Corps public comment meeting for F.E. Walter Dam Lehigh Flow plan

S

Smike

The 2016 Public comment meeting for consideration for 2017 FEW Dam's Water Release Plan on the Lehigh will be Oct. 18 at the White Haven Area Community Library at 99 Towanda St, White Haven, PA 18661.

http://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Media/News-Releases/Article/932483/army-corps-to-hold-public-comment-meeting-for-fe-walter-dam-recreation-plan/

Having FF folks in attendance in the past has been instrumental in ensuring that the plan is as fair and equitable for fishing conservation. The white water groups and business’s will be there as well, and we need to make sure our voices are heard as well. The Lehigh had one of the best fishing seasons this past spring that most can every remember, and I can personally attest to the fact that the wild fish have made it through the harsh summer due in part to the minimal flow releases by the flow plan.

I don't speak for the Lehigh River Cold Water Alliance, but based on being at the meeting last year and the results of this year I would propose the following:

I would say this year was a success for the conservation side of the plan. (at least based on available water)

Successes from this year:

1. Army Corps sticking to the minimum flow plan, (using storage to increase the flow by 100CFS) which helped tremendously in the low water levels.

2. Army Corps constant communications on upcoming changes to flow and flow plans

Here is what I would asked for in 2017:

1. Consider any methods possible to conserve the cold water pool for as long as possible. (Use of the bypass gates when feasible)

2. Reduce low water fluctuations during Sept-Oct to help keep water levels up for spawning trout.

3. Coordination with Beltzville Dam to allow cold water release to help mitigate stream temps (i.e. reduce wasted cold water release from Beltzville during high water releases from F.E.W.) Releasing surplus over longer periods from Beltzville to have longer effects.

As for the PAFBC representative in the room, there needs to be more pressure to acknowledge that under current conditions trout just below the dam is mostly a put and take situation, and that the real viable wild trout sustaining waters are further down from the dam (think Lehigh Gorge to Slatington.) As an example is Penns Creek, abundant wild trout that survive in what could be termed a “cool water” stream as best in summer.

Also the need to protect trout that are seeking refuge in tributaries in summer from high water temps. (Pohopoco being the biggest)

Mike Stanislaw

Yo Smi

I was pleased to participate at last year's meeting, and thought it went quite well. It was gratifying to see the interest shown by the Army Corps and WCOs. I was surprised and quite happy at the respect shown by the rafting interests and their willingness to hear out the concerns of the conservationists. They seemed quite receptive to finding ways to arrive at solutions that would help the rafting industry that would also contain benefits for anglers. It helped that our anglers outnumbered the large number of rafters.

I will be there at this meeting again.

hp
les

Thanks for posting Mike...I agree, we need to keep pressure and presence on this river and its flow management.

Another thing I would like to see is increase storage through fall and extend minimum flows through the spawn period. This would not be possible this year with lack of water but last year it would have. The practice now is when the recreation period is over/october 1 then blow it out until the dam is at 1300 ft "as fast as possible"...I would rather see a more gradual decline to maintain flows for the spawn.
...supports your point of more consideration for wild trout and natural reproduction

Agreed Phil, and I did ask about that last year. The response was the amendment to the storage plan to support recreation approved by congress had a seasonal limit to how long the increase in storage above 1300 was allowed. I think that is why when they hit date X they look to release excess as quickly as possible.

Spawning is tough on that river, and a lot of tribs would need a high flow to allow fish to get into them, some of them its not even possible due to RR bridge construction from 1920's which have 4-5' drop over a falls with no way for fish to travel up. (Black Creek, Stony Creek, Hickory run just to name a few Class A streams not accessible from the Lehigh where they meet)

Who else is going to this 7:00 meeting? Last year we had 15-20 anglers, mostly fly guys, and that helped counterbalance the rafters.

I will be there along with Nick R.

I have to say this with my most serious voice, the Lehigh this past year has never fished better, and honest to god a real legit wild trout river. This has to be in part to the flow plan over the last 5 years. Trout fared far better in the Lehigh this year then say Penns due to the minimum flow release part of the plan. Going to try to hit the river prior to the meeting, its been fishing quite well this fall.

Thought it was a good meeting last night. Thanks for all those that attended. Felt it was a balanced attendance between WW vs Fish interests. Some interesting concepts thrown around. Not sure if anyone else wants to elaborate?

LehighRegular wrote:
Thought it was a good meeting last night. Thanks for all those that attended. Felt it was a balanced attendance between WW vs Fish interests. Some interesting concepts thrown around. Not sure if anyone else wants to elaborate?

I thought it was a good meeting. As you stated I think were doing well regulating the flows with the current water availability. I agree there's a good balance with the white water folks with attendance and agreement over the current plan. It's good to see they care about the ecosystem as well.

Looks like we need to rally to get the funding for the feasibility study.

So....

What went on with the Dam? The Lehigh was hot and low this summer. I heard a portion of the dam is broke and wont be fixed for years. Is that true?

Jimbot,

I heard of nothing wrong with the dam.... other than it being antiquated. The dam functioned as it has for the last 70yrs or so. The water coming from the dam gets warm every summer but this is a function of the gate configuration on discharge tower, only bottom withdrawal for the most part.

Water was low due to lack of significant rain this summer, however with the added storage in the dam for the summer, the river water levels weren't nearly as low as it could have been.

Trout made it through the summer and are being caught this fall. Some are snakey looking as a result of the warm water temps but some are very healthy too. Avoiding the typical low flows in the summer has made a significant difference. Next step is to keep that water cold all summer.

Jimbot,

I heard of nothing wrong with the dam.... other than it being antiquated. The dam functioned as it has for the last 70yrs or so. The water coming from the dam gets warm every summer but this is a function of the gate configuration on discharge tower, only bottom withdrawal for the most part.

Water was low due to lack of significant rain this summer, however with the added storage in the dam for the summer, the river water levels weren't nearly as low as it could have been.

Trout made it through the summer and are being caught this fall. Some are snakey looking as a result of the warm water temps but some are very healthy too. Avoiding the typical low flows in the summer has made a significant difference. Next step is to keep that water cold all summer.

Well Ill tell you what I heard.

I was told that the Dam is both a top water and bottom water release dam. And the temp of the water determines whether water will be released either from the top or bottom.

And that the top portion was damaged only allowing the water to be released from the bottom.

Because so much water is released for white water and only could be released from the bottom.......all of the cold water was released by the time it got to the warmer and dryer months.

With no really cold water left over to release, the river got hotter than normal.

Now that was what I heard....but i heard it from another fly fisherman so who knows.

I hope your right and im wrong.

-bot

Jimbot wrote:
Well Ill tell you what I heard.

I was told that the Dam is both a top water and bottom water release dam. And the temp of the water determines whether water will be released either from the top or bottom.

And that the top portion was damaged only allowing the water to be released from the bottom.

Because so much water is released for white water and only could be released from the bottom.......all of the cold water was released by the time it got to the warmer and dryer months.

With no really cold water left over to release, the river got hotter than normal.

Now that was what I heard....but i heard it from another fly fisherman so who knows.

I hope your right and im wrong.

-bot

I guess the other fly-fisherman made up a story and is telling it to everyone. The dam is operating as designed as a bottom release dam for for flood control. Here is some info from the US Army Corp of Engineers, that designed and operate the dam:

..the District may evaluate permanent reallocation of storage and/or structural modifications at F.E. Walter Dam that allow selective withdrawal capabilities for improved downstream temperature control. The dam presently has bottom flood control gates used for most reservoir releases and a smaller capacity bypass system approximately 50 feet above the flood control gates.

Link to source: http://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Missions/Factsheets/Fact-Sheet-Article-View/Article/490844/section-22-planning-assistance-to-states-pennsylvania-lehigh-river-model/

Bot - the dam has always had limited capability of controlling water temps and preserving cold water (

God my eyes were crossing reading that. Sooooo....antiquated dam!
damn thanks afish!

-bot

Thanks VC....this year was just tougher than ive seen in my 6 long years of fishing the Lehigh for the elusive trout.

-bot

Back