Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Anyone have any luck on the Tulpehocken on Memorial day?

I got there around 6:50 am and there were a decent number of other fishermen already there. Drizzled on and off until around noon when I called it quits. Only got one brown (decent 12") and another one shook the hook at the last minute. The rest of the time the fish just mocked me by jumping around. Caught the 1 and 1/2 trout on a olive colored bead-head nymph. Got nothing using a little white dry fly that looked like some bugs flying around. Got nothing using a wet black cadis larvae looking fly. I actually didn't see any of the other anglers catching anything, so maybe it was just the day/conditions? That, and I honestly don't have a lot of knowledge regarding the depth/location to put my strike indicator and shot-weight when using the nymph. It seems like guesswork for me. Any advice on this would be great too. So, did anyone do well that day at the Tully?
I did find two golf balls in the water. Yay.

Posted on: 2007/5/29 11:35

Re: Anyone have any luck on the Tulpehocken on Memorial day?
From Chester County
ezatnova,

I fished the Tully yesterday and caught quite a few. Like you said, there were many rises, but try as I might, I too couldn’t catch them on top. I tried various dry flies, mayfly emergers, caddis emergers, beetles, and soft hackles. Caught a few on soft hackles, but nearly all my fish came off a BHHE and a BHPT fished off a dry. No secret fly or secret technique. I probably caught the fish not feeding on the surface.

On my way out I saw 2 Spanish-speaking guys with 2 kids by the bridge. I saw one of the guys bait a hook and cast a kids Snoopy rod into the stream. He handed the rod to the kid. He rigged his rod and began fishing. In less than a minute, he had a fish on. The kids were thrilled watching him reel it in. He put the fish on a stringer in plain sight of every fishing there. I’m sure he didn’t know the law, since he did all this in plain sight of a dozen people right by the bridge.

As I was pulling out, I saw the WCO on the bridge looking down from his vehicle. He pulled into the parking lot as I was pulling out. I’m sure someone called him on their cell phone. I felt sorry for them because of the kids, but the rules are the rules. Maybe they should put signs near the streams in Spanish. At least that would make life easier for the WCO to explain why he is writing out the violation.

Posted on: 2007/5/29 12:42

I was told to put your strike indicator on approx. 2 times the water depth. If you are fishing 2 ft of water put your strike indicator 4 ft from the nymph.

Posted on: 2007/5/29 13:10

From Bozeman
I fished it saturday and did quite well.

The go to fly was size 18 and 20 tan cdc caddis. I caught a few on top and missed a bunch more. Also a size 18 and 20 tan caddis pupa with a turn of herl was working well.

Before I left, I turned a few on a zebra midge fished a foot below the surface.

The fish at the tully can be tough.... Tiny, tiny caddis are the way to go IMO.

Posted on: 2007/5/29 13:35

From Philadelphia
Fished the Tully Sunday from 4:00-Dark. A big sulpher hatch (Invaria or Rotunda) came off and fish were coming up all over, just not for anything I had, which was everything in my box even remotely yellowish. The guy I was with was fishing just a bit down from Reber's bridge and from what I could see he was pulling them in fairly regularly. So being less than smart, I just kept experimenting to no avail except for two 12" trout that looked to be on a suicide mission. So on the walk back to the car I asked him what he was using and he says a #18 CDC Caddis emerger. Go figure.
Coughlin

Posted on: 2007/5/29 15:31

From Bozeman
BTW, I meant to say sunday.

Coughlin, you must have come in just as I was leaving.

And yeah... size 18 caddis were the way to go. Apparently they were taking spent females earlier in the day but as a fresh crop came off, they started taking emergers and adults again. I left just before it got really good I guess... Oh well. I had some pretty bad sunburn to take care of.

Posted on: 2007/5/29 16:06

From reading/susq. co. native
I fished sunday from 6 pm until dark just upstream from Reber's bridge. Right after the storm I caught a 17" rainbow with an awesome girth and also an "average" 15" rainbow. I had two others shake the hook. All of them on a tan #20 caddis.

Posted on: 2007/5/30 0:51

From Philadelphia
Hey, flatlander, I was probably a hundred yards below you. And by the way, did that one almost deafening explosion of thunder just overhead not make you jump out of your waders?

So what's the general rule on the Tully...see large sulpher fish small caddis?

Posted on: 2007/5/30 11:04

From Bozeman
The rule on the tully is "fish a small caddis". I don't think any other additions to the phrase are necessary!

Seriously though, I've found that those fish key on caddis and midges regardless of the mayfly activity around for the most part. Except of course BWOs and tricos. For some reason the fish there want small flies.

At least from what I can tell

Posted on: 2007/5/30 11:15

From Barto PA
I don't know for sure why they won't respond to the large yellow mayflies this year. I beleive them to be Gray Foxes but could be wrong. Two years ago I hit a hatch of them one evening below the Red Bridge and every trout I threw a #14 Gray Fox emerger at took it without hesitation. I know it's hard to beleive, but in about 3 hrs. time I landed 27 that evening. There were two guys below me fishing Caddis of some kind and they said neither of them had caught a fish. I had some other good evenings that year on the same pattern and also on Gray Fox spinners right at dark. Last year I fished the same area at this time of year, again with excellent results on the same emerger pattern. I can't remember what my best night was but I know I had twenty some one evening. This year I have fished about 6 evenings and although plenty of the Mayflies are hatching, I haven't caught anything on a Mayfly pattern. One evening I fished a two fly set-up with a Gray Fox soft hackle as my point fly and a #18 tan caddis emerger as a dropper. Caught several on the caddis dropper but nothing on the Gray Fox. I think it has something to do with the fact that they're stocking adult fish as opposed to fingerlings. The adult fish seem like once they get imprinted with the Caddis they don't switch over to anything else. Will be interesting to see what happens when the Tricos start.

Posted on: 2007/5/30 20:11

From lancaster county
they dont respond to the yellow flies because they are so used to feeding on caddis. about 15-20 differnt kinds of caddis. they respond to the grey fox because not many people are fishing them. remember that the sulphur (maybe more so than the green drake) is the most fished and waited for hatch of the year. the fish know this. remember that these fish are angler aware. also they respond to the tricos because of how heavy the hatch is there and they are also small flies. these fish key in on little flies because of how many they see and some fisherman hate using them. ill be at the tully all day towmorrow. see how i do
glad they caught those poachers....ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Posted on: 2007/5/30 20:46

From Bozeman
pack your globugs for the middle of the day lull, sal. I've put on a clinic there with them.

Posted on: 2007/5/30 21:33

OK, isn't this the point in the thread where some are supposed to blame the PFBC for the fishing being too poor (difficult) and, likewise, others are supposed to blame the PFBC for the fishing being too easy? Additionally, aren't those who say it is poor supposed to blame it on lack of anti-poaching enforcement, the gullable nature of the stocked adult trout, the abundance of spin fishermen, and not on the selectivity of the fish? Aren't some supposed to complain about the crowding (despite the fact that a number of contributors to this thread fished the same few hundred yard segment of a 3.6 mile DH area this past weekend). Hey, I'm just repeating, questioning, comparing, contrasting, and trying to reconcile some of the usual comments heard here and elsewhere about the Tully with the rather congenial tone of this thread. Has discontentment taken a temporary "vacation?"

On a more serious note, how would you compare the holdover adults from last year's adult stockings (2006) to the adults formerly produced by fingerling stockings? In your opinion are they more abundant, less abundant, or equally abundant as the second year fish from fingerling stockings used to be (second year fish used to be 12-15 inches long in June of the second spring after stocking)? Or, is it difficult to comment because the abundance of recently stocked fish is keeping you from catching the holdovers? This is not to suggest that every angler has the experience or know-how to recognize a holdover adult trout.

Posted on: 2007/5/30 22:02

From lancaster county
i pack all my flies!
ok mike first of all...answer my pm lately? ill blame the pfbc for that.
second dont generalize! im gonna fish the water at limestone hatchery....the water below the club.....the dhalo water and that new open water year round fishery you guys made. im doing it all towmorrow so.....i dont fish the same section.
i do see alot ofpoor law enforement on special reg areas. but i dont blame the pfbc. i blame the lack of officers and money to help regulate the waters better. so i blame work....if we had more time to fish...we could do it ourselves.
now with all that said.....did they catch so poachers down there?
do you think the pfbc should monitor our threads to see where poachers are destorying our special reg areas?
do you blame the pfbc for all the questions you asked?
do you feel that you guys are doing all you can and what do you think the pfbc could do (that they dont or wont) to make our sepa fisheries better?
im just being a pain now right?

Posted on: 2007/5/30 22:29

From Bozeman
Mike,

I don't know if it's wise for you to "bait the hole" like that, but that's your MO...

That aside..

Were you patrolling the Tully on sunday? If so, it was nice to meet you (I was the young guy tied into that beautiful rainbow at the base of Reber's in the early afternoon).

I will say that while the jury is still out, I am catching some of the hardest fighting tully fish yet this year. Well, maybe not hardest fighting, but they are certainly on par with previous years, and possibly more acrobatic.

Also, I'm catching a few holdovers but it's hard to tell the abundance since I usually release them without taking a good look, therefore am unsure of the exact proportion. I will say that the number of browns has risen from previous years for me... whatever that may mean.

The fishing may be easier, but I may be getting better. The best part about being in your early twenties is that you've got alot to learn... so you're always getting better. This would probably be better decided by someone with a larger sample size.

Posted on: 2007/5/30 22:54

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com