Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Anyone have any luck on the Tulpehocken on Memorial day?

JayL,
Unfortunately, I was not at the Tully on Sunday, but if I had been I would have been fishing. As for "baiting the hole," I enjoyed your terminology and would just respond by saying that I participate in this forum on my own time and as a result enjoy (usually) some of the serious as well as the not so serious aspects of the threads. I have come to expect both thoughtful responses as well as knee-jerk reactions. Thanks for your comments about your fishing experiences and your cautionary note about your observations about holdovers, given your release technique.

Also, I did find it interesting and had not heard in the past from anyone else that their catches seemed to contain a higher proportion of brown trout now than in the past. If the browns are 8-10 inches long for the most part, it may be because the PFBC stocked brown trout fingerlings in Sept. or Oct. of 2006. The fact that fingerlings were stocked last year may not be well known among the stream's anglers, since most emphasis and discussion has been on the adult trout stockings for the past year or so.
Mike

Posted on: 2007/5/30 23:56

From Ohio
Quote:
Has discontentment taken a temporary "vacation?"

I think we just wore each other out on the Little J thread. Besides, complaining on forums tends to be inversly proportional to the amount of time people are fishing......its the summer, the days are longer, the sun is shining, and people are fishing.

Posted on: 2007/5/31 6:53

From Chester County
Mike,

Just my two cents about the Tully. I fish it quite a bit in past years as well as this season. While I don’t keep records on catches, I believe the fishing (catching) has been as good this year as in past years for numbers of fish, and the average size of the fish has increased. I believe that a lot of the fish I’m catching are holdover fish from fingerling stockings; judging from the condition of their fins, coloration, their size, the size of their head relative to their body, and their fight. I have not caught many small fingerling browns. The overall ratio of rainbow to brown trout I caught so far this year is 90% rainbow and 10% browns. This is roughly the same as in seasons past. I fish most sections of the Tully, and can’t say that there is a lack of fish in any section.
My only negative comment is that the crowds make it difficult to fish (and posting on the Internet won’t help that). We had this conversation before, but the Southeast region really needs more special regulation water to spread out the crowds. Thanks for monitoring this site to get insight on the fly fishing community.

Just one angler’s opinion.

Posted on: 2007/5/31 7:03

From West Chester, PA
The fish discussion is a worthy one, but at this point, if we don't get involved in the dam release issues - there won't be any amount of trout to speak of. It is just too dang bad that we have a cool water source available, but we can't get everyone on the same page...

Posted on: 2007/5/31 11:59

From reading/susq. co. native
Hey Coughlin, I think I'm still recovering from that blast on sunday. I think the feeding activity picked up afterwards though. For what its worth I've only caught 3 brown trout on the Tully this year. I'm somewhere in the 30-40 range for Rainbows though

Posted on: 2007/5/31 13:42

From Bozeman
To be more exact, I'm getting about a brown a trip. Whereas previously it would be one or two a year. I fully accept that it's probably just a little variance.

Posted on: 2007/5/31 13:50

From Philadelphia
flatlander,
lol, I swear, I really almost did jump out of my waders. I have never experienced a crack of thunder like that.

I've only been on the Tully four times so far. I've managed two nice browns among a number of rainbows. You're right that the fish did seem to become a bit more active after the storm, but as I note in my post above, I foolishly stayed on the sulpher hatch rather than realizing that they were on something completely different.

Don't know if I'll become a regular, but it is a nice stream that seems to hold a lot of good fish!
Coughlin

Posted on: 2007/5/31 15:48

Quote:
The fish discussion is a worthy one, but at this point, if we don't get involved in the dam release issues - there won't be any amount of trout to speak of. It is just too dang bad that we have a cool water source available, but we can't get everyone on the same page...

TBD

You need to realize that Blue Marsh has a very limited coldwater pool. Its not a deep reservoir, therefore the coldwater pool is relatively small, as in not a lot of water and can be depleted rather quickly. Right now, the coldwater pool is being depleted due to these warm air temps which affect the temperature of the water flowing into the reservoir.

Can the Corps do some things differently how they operate the reservoir and help the downstream fishery?? It should defintely be looked into and pursued. I understand the Tully TU and Mike K are doing that, but I have not heard anything recently if anything is moving forward or they just "gave up".

Also understand the Corps is under strict guidelines on how they are to operate their impoundments. To get them to change, it takes a little work and persistence but the Corps will listen and change things where they can. The Corps relies on the PFBC heavily as far as recommendations and how the releases affect downstream fishery. What I have observed is a rather lack luster approach to these types of fisheries from our PFBC. But I will say they are getting better as of late.

My recommendatiion is to get involved and help where you can.

Posted on: 2007/6/1 13:27

From Bozeman
I actually talked to JackSteel about this at the jam. I never knew that the purpose of that dam was actually to control salinity in the lower schuylkill and delaware, if I'm correct in what I heard (there was a major beer release going on at the pine, so I could've mis-heard him)

Perhaps this changes things? It may explain why they are so rigid with their current releasing policy. I don't know enough about it to tell.

Posted on: 2007/6/3 23:42

Jay,
As I understand it, the primary purpose of the dam is flood control. The dam was built after Hurricane Agnes inundated downtown Reading in 1972. In torrential downpour events like what we saw last June, they will hold back water. The downtown area did get flooded last June, but it would have been much worse without the dam. There is a secondary spillway between the stilling basin and Water Road which is designed to protect the dam in the occurence of a 100 year event. Last June was the first time the secondary spillway was breached. When the downstream flooding abated, the Corps started releasing water at max volume, but the lake filled up so much that it overflowed the secondary spillway. The overflow carved a ravine in the hillside just below the stilling basin and dumped tons of dirt and rock into the stream, altering the streambed.

You are correct, however about the salinity control in Philadelphia. About 5-6 years ago the summer drought was so bad that the salt line moved upstream in the Delaware, so the Corps drained the lake way below normal summer levels to send water downstream.

The water quality in the lake has always been poor and is getting worse. Agricultural runoff upstream is a problem creating pea soup algae blooms in the summer and oxygen dead water. The other problem is that the lake is lowered about 5 feet in the winter to provide excess flood holding capacity for spring snowmelts and runoff. The lowering of the lake results in a lack of any natural aquatic vegetation becoming established in shallow water. This aquatic vegetation would provide a much better habitat for fish and everything else. If they did not lower the lake in the winter it would be a lot nicer.

The 3rd purpose of the lake is recreation. If there is not rain filling up the lake upstream, the outflow into the Tully is minimal. I have never seen the lake being drained below the normal summer level to provide better flows for downstream fish habitat in the Tully. The corps is more concerned with keeping the boaters and beachgoers happy in the summer who pay to get into the lake area.

Posted on: 2007/6/4 8:52

From Bozeman
bob,

Good post. That was very informative. If that's the case then I'm on board for pushing for a change in the release policies.

As for the third reason, I've always heard that was also a reason. It kind of seems ridiculous to choke off an entire stream and hundreds of thousands of fish for that reason alone.

Posted on: 2007/6/4 9:17

Jay L and ALL

Bob did a good job summing it up. However, the Corps has an obligation to maintaining the flows/habitat for the fishery below their impoundments as well. When the Corps built most of these reservoirs this was not really considered, but things are changing in that respect. The Corps realizes that the streams below their reservoirs have a recreational value as well.

However, the standards or minimum flows that were established during construction and authorization of their impoundments are "weak" to say the least. I think the minimum release for Blue Marsh is 50 cfs. Pretty puny if you ask me.

The question is can the Corps change some things to provide more water during low water periods without depleting the coldwater pool too readily. This is what needs to be investigated. Anglers and PFBC need to "ask" this question to the Corps. If you bring this to the Corps they will look into it. Engage the Corps in a manner that will allow them to realize the significance of what you, the anglers, would like to see in how to better manage the resource.

I believe there was some discussion of trying to maintain a 100 cfs release from BM, but like I said above, I have not heard anything further.

Maybe if someone active from Tully TU or if Mike K has some time to post, maybe an update can be provided???

By the way, all this Tully talk encouraged me to fish on this past Sunday. Over all a short but very rewarding outting with lots of fish and some very nice size fish to boot. Lots of guys too.

Posted on: 2007/6/4 9:54

"but nearly all my fish came off a BHHE and a BHPT fished off a dry. No secret fly or secret technique. I probably caught the fish not feeding on the surface."

What flies are you referring to? BH stands for bead head in each one obviously.....BHPT must be pheasant tail, whats the other

Thanks!

Posted on: 2007/6/21 12:09

From Chester County
Timmy,

Sorry for the abreviation - BHHE = bead head hare's ear, great fly along with a bead head pheasnat tail. Try size 16 - 18. Try some zebra midges off a dry fly. See attached

http://members.tripod.com/stevenojai/zebra_midge.htm

They sell them at TCO if you don't tie.

Good luck

Posted on: 2007/6/21 12:41

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

sdwlucas wrote:
I was told to put your strike indicator on approx. 2 times the water depth. If you are fishing 2 ft of water put your strike indicator 4 ft from the nymph.

SD,

I believe it is more like 1.5 - 2x the depth as a rule...the shallower the water the closer to the min. So for 2 ft I'd rig at 3.5' and slide the scale to the up from there. Unless the water is faster, making the ratio higher or slow water making it lower.

The more distance I have, the more weight I use until it tics the bottom and then I take a little off. As a rule....But as you become more confident you can ude less boyant indicators and leave it be, use a high stick method when fishing the shallower areas.

The important thing is to keep the line off the water to the indicator.

Maurice

Posted on: 2007/6/21 22:12

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com